What's new

Money from the Government

Error

Strata Poster
Sorry if this has been made already.

Well it's tax season in the USA. As such, we have to file our taxes. And sometimes, we even get a refund. So here's the question:

Did you get a refund? If so, what are you doing with it? Are you saving it, or spending it all?

For me, I'm paying my minor debts, fixing my car, and getting some small stuff. The rest to savings.

Anyone else?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'll be filing and saving it for moving/traveling for interviews. If I am lucky and get more, I will pay off some of my student loans, but travel and moving will take 98% I'm sure.

Ben

CF Legend
We don't get ours until April, but, I'm going to be due almost all of the tax I've paid this tax year.

It's nearly £1000 <3

I have to use it to spite my overdraft, but, still <3

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'll be surprised if they haven't messed mine up. I definitely haven't eared enough to be taxed at all. Because I was working freelance, and this is my first year, I think that I have to wait until next year to get any back though. Who knows, it's all far too complicated.

Dunno why people get excited about tax refunds... It's... your money? It's not like you are being given new money, you're just being given your money back?

nadroJ

CF Legend
Earlier this year I got a letter through saying I owed them £500. I knew this was wrong, so I went into the tax office and sorted it out. Turned out it was only £15, so they wrote it off haha XD. I doubt I'll get anything back this year though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Eugh! Tax office are a shambles. Work sent them in details of my new car. They sent them back saying "we don't need any of this crap from you any more, we have a new system".

They then gave me a rebate of a £1000 on my last wages because they didn't take the details off work and wrote off my old car completely and rebated my tax on it for a year.

So I called and after an hour talked to somebody who had to take the details off me they'd sent back to work as "not needed" and tried to sort it out. So this month they will be taking a grand out of my wage packet and they still haven't sorted out the correct tax code. So I've got more over-pay/pay-back to come. One bloke at work is still trying to get them to sort his out from two years ago when they suddenly decided he had the same car twice and charged him double :roll:

I think my biggest problem with them is that they get it fabulously wrong, then when you call they speak to you like you're a huge idiot for not understanding the complicated taxing system (basic tax is okay, but when it comes to benefits in kid, especially company car stuff it starts getting difficult). It's a case of "excuse me, but I'm not a tax expert, I'm just a worker, it's the tax experts who have screwed this up, not me - stop talking to me like I'm the one who's incompetent!"

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'm always kind of scared to accept money the tax office gives me in rebate, I've seen so many instances where people have been like 'ooh that's a nice surprise', use the money for various things (like paying off loans, overdrafts, etc) only for the tax office to turn around and be like 'oops, gave you too much! We'll have that back now please!'

Morons.

Also, I thought this topic was going to be along the lines of what free money do you get from the government haha XD

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
Also, I thought this topic was going to be along the lines of what free money do you get from the government haha XD

As did I - I thought it'd be some dig at me or something :p

But yeah, I got a rebate of about £30 a few years back from the job I had at Royal Mail. Nothing to get excited about. The tax office is ridiculous. It takes them often up to 10 years to realise that THEY have cocked up and therefore WE have to pay, and often giving stupidly close dates t pay it back as well. It's **** over my mother throughout the last 15 years.

Ben

CF Legend
nadroJ said:
Earlier this year I got a letter through saying I owed them £500. I knew this was wrong, so I went into the tax office and sorted it out. Turned out it was only £15, so they wrote it off haha XD. I doubt I'll get anything back this year though.

Why are you even paying tax, you're a student...?

Interestingly, I was talking to my fab neighbour at the weekend who was really senior in the Inland Revenue for 40 years about what they used to do if they made a mistake, and she said that back in the day if they messed up and didn't take enough, it was their fault and they got shafted. Spite <//3

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ben said:
nadroJ said:

Why are you even paying tax, you're a student...?

Yeah but there's still a limit to how much you can earn whilst being a student, and I earn over that. I don't pay much tax, it's like...£6 a week or something silly like that.