What's new

Momonga Standing and Loop Coaster @ Yomiuri Land to close on 20th of September

Projektion

Mega Poster
Yomiuri Land's "MOMOnGA" loop coaster will cease operations on September 20, 2021 (Monday, national holiday).

The world's first standing coaster
"The loop coaster MOMOnGA opened in 1979.

This marks the end of its 42-year history.

In addition to the seated type, a standing type was introduced in 1982.

It was also the world's first standing coaster.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

It's the one with the stand-up and sit down trains which switch with the transfer track in the station.

Last edited:

emoo

Hyper Poster
But I wanted to ride the 'flying squirrel' :( Well actually just gawp at the different train types in the station but this is disappointing. I wonder if this is linked to the new coaster opening in 2021, either budget reasons or they don't need both no more.

I take it that entry to Japan to ride this in its remaining 20 days wouldn't be considered 'exceptional circumstances' by the government.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Not the most memorable coaster I've ridden, but I didn't realise it was the first stand up! Quite the colour scheme too!
It originally opened as a sit-down coaster in 1979. The standup train was first added in 1982. RCDB goes as far as to state that it began public operations with the standup train a day after the now-defunct Dangai stand-up coaster first opened at the former Thrill Valley park.

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
And then there were nine.......

Here's what's left of the ever-dwindling stand-ups:

4 B&M's - all in the US

4 Togo's - 3 in Japan, 1 in Italy

And the lone Intamin left, Shockwave, soldiers on at Drayton Manor

How much longer will this endangered species of coaster last?

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
At first I thought the title said Yomiuriland would close two coasters, but apparently that's just one long coaster name.

Fortunately, the park is opening another coaster to make up for it. Well, they're closing an Extreme coaster and opening a family coaster, but still. It leaves the place in a better position than many Japanese parks. At least they have received three coasters since 2010, even though one of them had to close permanently the day it opened.

cocoa

Mega Poster
glad I snuck a ride on this a couple years ago. still the most needlessly slow loading operation of any coaster I've ever seen... you'd think loading two trains at once using a sliding table is simple. but the amount of times they would swap empty trains back and forth for no reason was plain impressive.

not a memorable coaster in any way, but I rode it with friends (not goons), and their excitement was fun. so I'll remember it that way!

opivy028

Mega Poster
How much longer will this endangered species of coaster last?

I think we still have a while. Riddler’s Revenge is still a great ride with a good reputation among the GP, and they have Scream! so no reason to convert to floorless. If Viper’s lasted this long I wouldn’t be surprised to see Riddler last another 10-15. It’ll be interesting in general to see what B&M service life is like. Reputation for being super reliable and generally smooth rides, aside from just a couple of their earliest rides and a significant portion of their stand ups.

Edit: I realize that this is a separate discussion to this thread, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see most quality B&M’s, including a couple stand-ups like Riddler’s, end up being more or less permanent fixtures at parks. The only B&M’s removed have been due to space, parks closing, being moved to other parks, or new attractions coming in.

Last edited:

crocsx

Roller Poster
So, i went Yomuriland today after a bit more than a year. I was so surprised to see that the whole roller coaster disappeared. I randomly found this thread with all this information. Kind of sad cause i really like yomuriland for having such good rollercoaster and near home. There is a big water Park with currently 3 slides that is running, but not yet opened. I guess they do trials or finish the setup for later this summer. Also, today the Bandit was closed today even with great conditions and sun. i hope it's not another planned demolishment cause i am a bit afraid now.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Was back at the factory the other day and was surprised to find that the amount of Yomiuriland slide parts have at the very least tripled over the summer. Would have thought that they’d been shipped out by now;
35F5E923-A322-4E36-9C96-4878F1546E90.jpeg
E18F9F0B-4891-4C67-BB99-4F8AB93C7D5B.jpeg
57145107-55AE-4DCB-B6DB-E9453C76A30A.jpeg
AAAB9FC1-730E-4DB5-A1BE-871ECEF3C2A6.jpeg
B0E096A3-8C6C-4B8E-8206-2DEA6D3939DB.jpeg
29A4726C-66FA-41B7-A02E-17A4295EADA6.jpeg