What's new

Mitch Hawker Polls 2008 - Full Results In

Mike

Giga Poster
http://www.ushsho.com/bestrollercoasterpoll.htm

The results for the 2008 polls are now starting to come in, with the Wood results up.

Wood Results
http://www.ushsho.com/woodrollercoaster ... ts2008.htm

In it's opening season, South Korea's T-Express has won the top spot in this year's poll, which doesn't surprise after hearing rave reviews about it ever since Theme Park Review's latest tour there.

Here are the top 10 Wooden coaster for 2008:
1. T-Express - Everland
2. The Voyage - Holiday World
3. El Toro - SFGAd
4. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
5. Balder - Liseberg
6. Phoenix - Knoebel's
7. Aska - Nara Dreamland
8. Troy - Toverland
9. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
10. Colossos - Heide Park

Coming in at the bottom are a load of coasters which chiropracters could only dream about having near them. This includes the former tallest and fastest wooden coaster in Son of Beast. Here are the bottom 5:
172. The Bandit - Movie Park
173. Predator - Darien Lake
174. Son of Beast - Kings Island
175. Anaconda - Walygator Parc
176. The Grizzly - Great America

The best wooden coaster in the UK for 2008 is Blackpool Pleasure Beach's Grand National, coming in a respectable 28th overall. This is followed by Oakwood's Megafobia at 32nd and a surprise third place for Blackpool's Wild Mouse at 40th overall.

Steel Results
http://www.ushsho.com/steelrollercoaste ... ts2008.htm

Winning yet again, but only just, is New England's Ride of Steel and it's crazy mix of mad airtime but terrible restraints. Second is yet another Everland coaster ranking extremely highly in the Arrow coaster of Eagle's Fortress. In at 3 is the much loved by a lot of people, especially on Coasterforce, coaster of Expedition GeForce. Climbing to 6, rather surprisingly after hearing all the opinions that it is as rough as ever this year is Nemesis.

Here is the full top 10 Steel coasters of 2008:
1. Superman - Ride of Steel SF New England
2. Eagle's Fortress - Everland
3. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park
4. Kawasemi - Tobu Zoo
5. Piraten - Djurs Sommerland
6. Nemesis - Alton Towers
7. Behemoth - Canadas Wonderland
8. Goliath - Walibi World
9. Katun - Mirabilandia
10. Dragon Khan - Port Aventura

The bottom 10 consists of 3 coasters from the UK, including everybody's favourite Welsh killing machine of MegaBlitz at 354th overall and Drayton Manor's G-Force at 349th. Right at the bottom, however, for the second year running, is unsurprisingly French, and it is Goudurix at Parc Asterix!
Here are the bottom 5:
354. MegaBlitz - Coney Beach
355. Fav Zamperla Volare - Any Park Anywhere
356. Fav Zyklon Loop - Any Park Anywhere
357. Fav Chance Toboggan - Any Park Anywhere
358. Goudurix - Parc Asterix

The top coaster from the UK is obviously Nemesis, coming in at 6th overall. This isn't even closely followed by Nemesis' younger brother, Nemesis Inferno, at 61st. Third in the UK is Oakwood's Eurofighter, Speed, at 69th with Stealth and Oblivion making up the top 5 UK steel coasters. (Stealth beating Oblivion - What a load of bollocks!)

And this is where the results end, but don't worry, just a year to go until the new poll starts and less time then that until CF's very own coaster awards start!
So all of you people that rated Nemesis, Nemesis Inferno and Stealth highly, get out of this country and ride some decent coasters, and this topic will be back next year!

Thanks for reading. (Am I kidding myself???)
Mike.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you haven't a clue what I'm on about, I'm talking about a poll created by a bloke called Mitch Hawker, which gives every entusiast (and not 10 or so random ACErs) the chance to vote for which they think is the best coaster.
Last year Superman RoS at SFNE won, with Expedition GeForce coming 2nd in the steel coaster poll. The Voyage came top in the wood coaster poll, with El Toro 2nd.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Done. :)

Besides Screamscape, RCDB and TPR, it's a pretty good place to be 4th on that list ;)

Ben

CF Legend
BOULDER DASH FOR NUMBER ONE WOODIE COASTER 2008!

Ahem.

I've done mine. Took me literal hours ¬¬.

I did my wooden one, which wasn't too hard since I've only been on like fifteen woodies or something. And besides, they didn't even show like Raging Wolf Bobs or Villain either.

I'll do the steel one tomorrow.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
2008 poll closes 1st December? I have four new coasters coming up in December - including Dragon Khan which I'm hoping to hell makes my top ten :)

Other than that, I can't see Troublesome Trucks or The looping Pinfari of Death at Brean really making much difference to my vote :roll:

A

Anonymous

Send in your completed ballot for each poll by December 5, 2008
A bit of error here, it should be on the 5:th, not that it would make much of a difference for the ones going to PortAventura.

Mark

Strata Poster
I haven't done the poll for a couple of years but I am definately going to be doing it this year.

I do find it odd with some of the groupings though. for instance the Extended SC 2000/3000 coasters. I mean, I rank Dragons Fury quite highly, as apose to Spinball Whizzer and Whirlwind (yes this is a CLONED one, I understand that! but ironically it is almost the same as Crush Turlte Twist - which is in the poll!. They differ so very much in my ranking that it seems a bit bizarre to group them. It has also missed out Tarantula at Parque de Attractionnes in Spain.... That isn't a clone either...

SLC's on the other hand, I can appreciate, because they all suck anyways (apart from the one at Heide Park).

Will

Strata Poster
Bloody hell, that time of year again already is it...
Can only mean I should really make a start on the Christmas shopping :lol:
Seriously though, wooden coaster list is always easy enough, since I only have about 10 of those to sort now, following the demise of Rhyl, Southport and a mysterious 14th that I can't seem to place, and, aside from my always controversial views on Grand National and The Bandit, that was simple enough.
Might need to set the rest of the afternoon aside for my steel list though, so I hate to think how much faff this is for our resident credit whores :p
Also annoyed that the deadline means I won't be able to include Port Aventura in my list - but I guess that'll have to wait to make its mark on the 2009 statistics :)

Mike

Giga Poster
I think I read on the instructions that to get onto the Referrals list, you have to click on the main site link, just to let people know.

I've just filled out my Woodie ballot, and even though I ony have 30-or-so woodies in my list, it still took me ages. i'm dreading to think how long the steel poll will now take me. :?
Boulder Dash top, Hurler bottom. :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Done both the Steel and Wooden one. First time I've done this and the ballot one is much easier than doing it all manually. :p

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
I couldn't be arsed with the wooden one.

And I only did my top ten steel coasters for my steel one [/lazy]

Mike

Giga Poster
Stealth.thorpe said:

Errrm... I don't think you quite understand the way the poll works. :?
It's supposed to be a definitive list of all coasters you've ever ridden, not just 10.

Jools

Giga Poster
The "idiot's guides" not working, everytime I try to order them, the coaster names keep dropping to the bottom of the screen :?

PS Sorry I'm thick! :lol:

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
Mike said:
Stealth.thorpe said:

Errrm... I don't think you quite understand the way the poll works. :?
It's supposed to be a definitive list of all coasters you've ever ridden, not just 10.
Don't worry, I didn't send it in, infact I have started again and will do it properly :(