What's new

Mirabilandia | Desmo Race | Maurer Spike Dragster

Nick13

Mega Poster
Has anyone here been on Desmo Race yet? I am visiting the park next week but it seems like the ride has been closed for the past few weeks, it can’t have been open for long at all! There is a notice on the opening times page of their website stating that the ride is currently unavailable.

Us3rmane

Mega Poster
Yeah it's opened and there's already one feedback from a French enthusiast on Coastersworld.fr. I Google Translated it so sorry if there's some English mistakes:

"After many difficulties, I managed to test this thing ... but between catastrophic throughput and multiple breakdowns it was not a small deal! Let me tell you all that ... (I risk spilling myself a little, for the hurry I put you in bold the essential ? ) You must know that on the 2 days that we spent in Mira, Desmo Race was only open 8h ... The first day he was in tests until about 16:30, and frankly when we saw to turn we did not think he was going to open ... the ride is really a noisy, at the slightest change of direction the "car body" trains bale in all directions, and in addition there is still construction equipment under the course ... ah and they cool the train like on I305, weird. But surprise! While we are in the queue of Katun, we see people in the trains ... we ride the inverted, and we run to put in the queue of novelty. And let's go for 2 hours of waiting punctuated by innumerable breakdowns, which will result in a closure of the track 2 (one thus passes from 4 trains of 2 places to 2 trains of 2 places ... with sometimes people who ride alone ...). The flow is unclean: we advance to a slowness that I do not think I have seen anywhere else. And when we go under the launch, the wait is enriched by the execrable noise of it ... GREAT. Note that the arrival at the station is odd: there are gates in front of the stairs that lead to the station, and they enter like 10-15 people every ... 15 minutes? Knowing that they send about 2 to 4 people to each dispatch. So once we passed the gates we find ourselves waiting at the dock.

We finally FINALLY get to the train. The comfort is fairly basic, with huge belts hard to pull. The ride in itself, on lane 1, starts not too bad: nice launch, half turn with a small hit and chained rather funny bumps in height. Light airtimes. The second part is less cheerful: many jerks, and down s-turns decelerating it's just bad ... in short, we swear not to set foot in this s***, not for 2 hours of queue ...

But now, it's just 10:30 pm, we just had a crazy tour of Katun by night, and we said to ourselves: what if there were not too many people at Desmo Race? We will see, and indeed the line has dropped considerably. The 2 ways are open, it's time to have our 2nd credit ... we commit. After 30mn kind of queue, lane 1 breaks down ... well it's the other that interests us so it's ok, but the flow is still divided by 2 ... super. A few minutes pass (slowly), and suddenly, BAM! A thing explode in the launch of track 1 (the one down)! We see smoke: it's not good that ... Well we are still waiting, it advances slowly to the rhythm of "avanti la fila" declamed by the operator to manage the entrances of people on the platform (really a funny system). Arrived on the platform, it remains like 2 people in front of us, and the train stops at the end of the launch ... I let you imagine the thing: it's been more than 1 hour that we wait, the park is still open 30mn after they closed the gates, all the technical team is on the platform so the thing breaks down continuously ... and there, like 3 dispatch of the closing, it does not pass the launch X) could read the mood of the team through their eyes. Fortunately, it starts again, and we can have our credit, night more. Well ... the way 2 has a more interesting course than the other, but it trembles like a shopping cart in a centrifuge! In short it's really not terrible. People do not look conquered either. The next day, Desmo Race was closed all day, which did not surprise us considering the fiasco of the day before ... We will have really been lucky to have our +2! :(

This Spike Coaster seems to bring a lot, a lot of problems for little onride interest in the end ... when Kingda Ka breaks down, we forgive him because the machine is worth it. But here, frankly ... It seems to me that Maurer had spoken of reaching very high speeds with this model no? How can they expect that if already at 80kmh it shakes ...: ****: The real worry, it's going to be when Mira will complain to the manufacturer (which may happen because the machine seems messed up) .... I do not see how Maurer will do if the Spike coaster makes him same shot (worse?) as the X-car."

TL;DR: It's bad and unreliable

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
God, what a crap-shoot.

If it's open (or at least, trying to be) I'll unstick this so we can all move on.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
They've just spent all weekend with some blokes and cherry pickers on site sending it on endless tests.
Half the cars have had the chassis removed from the front left so you can see electronics and guts.
Ride itself looks terrible and the empty cars are visibly shaking themselves to pieces.
Don't get your hopes up.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
"Like a shopping cart in a centrifuge". That's a new one, and quite telling. Still doesn't beat the "sunbed in a cement truck" allegory I've heard about Volares, though.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm considering building a backyard coaster using a trolley for the car and replacing it's wheels with homemade wheel bogies. Anyone fancy a go on Trolley: THE RIDE?

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
They've just spent all weekend with some blokes and cherry pickers on site sending it on endless tests.
Half the cars have had the chassis removed from the front left so you can see electronics and guts.
Ride itself looks terrible and the empty cars are visibly shaking themselves to pieces.
Don't get your hopes up.
Now I'm back on proper internet, here's a pic to illustrate the chassis thing.
48661650721_afe4259ea9_k.jpg

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
In my opinion, when I visited Mirabilandia, the operations were abysmal. Why they would invest in a roller coaster(s) that has potentially one of the worst throughputs in the industry is beyond me. Katun has 3 trains, so can really churn the queues, but in comparison, on a busy day, this must be painfully slow experience!

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
Probably because the ride type is cheap as balls, and the park management is also cheap as balls.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! But their other investments, such as Katun, iSpeed and Divertical are all pretty big and expensive pieces of equipment, they would probably have been better off with a Vekoma booster bike!

WC90

Roller Poster
I exhume the thread after years to report that desmo race is finally... still closed!

If I have correctly understood, a serious problem with its rack and pinion system, maybe rewelded last year, prevents the pseudo coaster from running.

WC90

Roller Poster
Finally desmo race has opened!

For 3 days, only a few hours a day and with continuous stops.
Now on the website it's again reported as not available.

"ducati world is a success"
"ducati world is the most important investment in the park's history"
riccardo marcante, former mirabilandia's director

"by attracting visitors from abroad thanks to the appeal of an international brand like Ducati, we want to become world leaders in the entertainment industry".
Jesus Fernàndez Moràn, Parque Reunidos CEO

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I love how delusional are the higher-ups at Parques Reunidos.

What Mirabilandia should do is bulldoze the area altogether and start from scratch with a ride from a good manufacturer without the use of an IP that really no one cares about.

WC90

Roller Poster
desmo race is now open again, but always for a few hours per day

I love how delusional are the higher-ups at Parques Reunidos.

What Mirabilandia should do is bulldoze the area altogether and start from scratch with a ride from a good manufacturer without the use of an IP that really no one cares about.
mirabilandia should also bulldoze its managament, but in a different way than now, where acquaintances (is it written right?) of old mediocre managers continuously replacing the old ones.
divertical and desmo race were both very questionable choices that major parks avoid. It is absurd that has been repeated the mistake of buying defective prototypes, and it is even more absurd that they have bet on them for the relaunch of the park.