What's new

Minor changes you would make to existing attractions

Snurt2theHark

Roller Poster
Do you have a pet peeve over an element on a roller coaster? Maybe you would change the banking of a turn halfway through the wooden coaster you just rode. Do you ever think that a dark ride feel a bit too empty? Maybe you would pump a scene full of "smoke". Do you ever think a park was a bit too lazy when it came to the instillation of a bin in their "new" area? Maybe they could have turned bin into a penguin one, like you saw at the aquarium from your last seaside staycation, in the park's new Arctic area of the park.

I dedicate this thread to those silly ideas on how to adjust something that we all get in our heads every once in a while.

I'll start off with a couple of my own:
  • Derren Brown's Ghost Train - Thorpe Park - I'd definitely make sure "Can you feel it" by the Jackson 5 plays in the gift shop scene before the final moments of the attraction, whilst the general public wouldn't consciously think about what's playing it would give them a false sense of security as it would just be background music like any other shopping experience but fans of Derren Brown's work would be aware that the song would mean that the attraction isn't quite over yet...
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Defunct) - Alton Towers - Because the theme of the ride and the chocolate scented smellpods throughout the attraction, I'm surprised that it didn't have a giftshop at the end where you could buy Wonka bars or at least Cadbury's Dairy Milk.
  • Steeplechase - Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Just get rid of the thing behind the seat that digs into my back, I don't know how someone thought that was comfortable for the average person to ride. Ouch.
  • Shooting Dark Rides - Various - I've done quite a few shooting dark rides but I'm surprised none of them have haptic feedback. I know most of them were installed in the 00's before the tech was in every game controller but I feel like shooting on dark rides feels a bit incomplete and that there's no recoil to feel like you actually shot something.

What's your ideas?

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Restore the Superman theme to Ride of Steel at Darien Lake. Also retheme Beaver Brothers Bay to Looney Tunes Seaport. That's all.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Monster Mansion at SFOG needs another overhaul, its clear the monsters need more offseason love.
Great American Scream Machine needs a GCI or GG retrack, and return the 3 rows or get rid of GCys trains.
Get rid of Lickskillet and just add a path between Gotham City and this new area.
Otherwise, Alabama Adventure, well existing. Park doesn't need pedal tractors.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hmmm, a few non-sequeter thoughts:

• Add a finale helix to Orion, rather than cook it into the massive brake run.
  • Speed up the lift hill on Steel Curtain.
  • Add another train car to Maverick.
  • Add handle bars to Morgan hypers, rather than molded grips into the seat in front of you.
  • Put T3 back to T1 - let's agree it all just didn't work.
  • Take out the MCBR on Mako.
  • Add another turn or two to Raven.
  • Convert all Arrow suspendeds to Vekoma floorless.
  • Throw GCI Millennium Flyers on Roar at SFA.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
-Change Swarm's locking vests for vests that don't lock. Also reverse the two back cars.
-Add tyres to Vekoma Family Boomerangs (especially Accelerator) to give them more speed on the return trip.
-Change Icon's off axis hill into a normal straight hill.
-Widen Th13teen's turn out of the first drop to remove some of the trims.

StevenX

Roller Poster
Not such a minor modification, but I really think Alton Towers could sail through an easy season by adding a barrel roll and helix to Oblivion and remarketing it as Oblivion Inferno or some nonsense.

It'd make a lot of sense, be super marketable and breathe new life into what's clearly a tired, prototype attraction.

Love the haptic feedback suggestion above too.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

solarfall

Mega Poster
Change that straight track between the first and second drops of Phantom's Revenge to a tiny speed hill.

Speaking of Morgan "hypers", make the seats a little more comfy on Steel Eel so that awesome airtime doesn't result in back pain.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Blackpool Pleasure Beach - invest in some colourful paint.
I appreciate what Amanda has done for the park in recent years, but one thing I'm not keen on is the dull down of colours. Too much grey for my liking.
Also last time I went, I noticed River Caves had been mostly stripped off it's external theming/animatronics etc. Not sure if this was just temporary but it looks naff. That should be fixed.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Oooh good topic.

Add some theming to the final brake run down into the station on Vampire so it’s more of a scare ending - kind of like Mystic Timbers?

Music/fog/strobes for Apocalypse at Drayton Manor.

Generally more water effects for UK rapids.

Something in the Air pre-lift hill tunnel - maybe some cool interactive screens or something?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
One more thing - I would tweak Wicker Man's layout to have a separate offload. When the ride is based entirely around sacrifice of riders, it kind of breaks the immersion a lot when you're waiting to ride and everyone just comes back and gets off fine.

Having the train return to the onload with no riders can keep this immersion high. I do think that a lot of rides can massively benefit from a separate offload such as Oblivion especially.

Imagine how much more intimidating those two coasters can become if they came back to the station with no riders.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Change that straight track between the first and second drops of Phantom's Revenge to a tiny speed hill.
Hah, almost put that too. The weird artifact of Morgan doing the Phantom's Revenge retrack work in two parts.

Smithy

Strata Poster
One more thing - I would tweak Wicker Man's layout to have a separate offload. When the ride is based entirely around sacrifice of riders, it kind of breaks the immersion a lot when you're waiting to ride and everyone just comes back and gets off fine.

Having the train return to the onload with no riders can keep this immersion high. I do think that a lot of rides can massively benefit from a separate offload such as Oblivion especially.

Imagine how much more intimidating those two coasters can become if they came back to the station with no riders.
Love this idea. Can't remember which ride it was I'm thinking of that did similar but I remember thinking hang on there's empty trains coming through.

Minor changes - I'd add another bunny hop or two to the end of Rita.

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
Monster Mansion at SFOG needs another overhaul, its clear the monsters need more offseason love.
Great American Scream Machine needs a GCI or GG retrack, and return the 3 rows or get rid of GCys trains.
Get rid of Lickskillet and just add a path between Gotham City and this new area.
Otherwise, Alabama Adventure, well existing. Park doesn't need pedal tractors.

I believe GASM is being retracked over the next several years, the lift hill through the bottom of the second hill were done last year. I also believe they have at least one new train as the old Georgia Cyclone trains were only a temporary measure anyway.

I have been saying build a midway between where Axis Arena and the Go-Karts are for several years and have mentioned it more than once on their surveys. I also mentioned using a large portion of that parking lot for a B&M Dive Coaster would be great as well. :cool:

Edit: I got a real laugh about the pedal tractors, my mom used to collect them back in the 90's. She had a complete set of the John Deere tractors going all the way back to the Model A from 1950.

Last edited:

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Just make Skyrush’s restraints lock in place. Please. They wouldn’t be half as bad as they are if they didn’t come down on you during the ride.

Give I305 a fresh coat of paint. It’s a small thing but the ride looks like it’s gone 12 years without a repaint.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
I have been saying build a midway between where Axis Arena and the Go-Karts are for several years and have mentioned it more than once on their surveys. I also mentioned using a large portion of that parking lot for a B&M Dive Coaster would be great as well. :cool:

Edit: I got a real laugh about the pedal tractors, my mom used to collect them back in the 90's. She had a complete set of the John Deere tractors going all the way back to the Model A from 1950.
Disagree on the Dive, I think that would be the perfect area for a launch besides Splashwaters old area, but I 100% think a path is in the cards for the future. On the tractors, tell her to sell them to Alabama Adventure lol.

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
Disagree on the Dive, I think that would be the perfect area for a launch besides Splashwaters old area, but I 100% think a path is in the cards for the future. On the tractors, tell her to sell them to Alabama Adventure lol.
I would just like to have anything besides unused parking lot. I do love Copperhead Strike so I wouldn't be opposed to something similar. :) Another idea I just had, use the old Splashwater Falls area for a station for a Giga and run it out over the parking lot all the way down to Gotham City with the new midway.

The pedal tractor collection was sold off years ago to pay for a living quarters horse trailer, which is used a couple of times a month.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
- Get rid of the trim brakes from the first drop of Stampida, so that it can run as originally intended.
- Turn on the volcano effects and dyed water on Tutuki Splash.
- Run Baco with a separate unload station and 3 trains.
- Get rid of all paid cut-the-line programmes.
- Run both sides of Ka.
- Get rid of the stupid seatbelts on any B&M hyper (looking at you Cedar Fair).