What's new

Millennium Force takes top honor

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
PHA poll is the oldest of its kind and is highly respected by industry officials and coaster enthusiasts alike.

This honor gives Cedar Point a 14-year reign as the home of the top steel coaster in the world as voted on by NAPHA members annually. Prior to Millennium Force’s ascension to the top, Cedar Point’s Magnum XL-200 was ranked No. 1 from 1995-2001. The coasters shared first place in 2002 and 2004.

The Magnum also made the list again this year by claiming the No. 3 spot for the second consecutive year. Introduced in 1989, the Magnum was the tallest and fastest coaster in the world. Twenty years later, it is still considered one of the best coasters ever built.

These exciting results come just in time for one of the largest celebrations of roller coasters in the world. On Friday and Saturday, June 5-6, nearly 1,500 roller coaster enthusiasts will converge on Cedar Point for a two-day coaster extravaganza that can only be described as CoasterMania ‘09!

This will mark the 20th anniversary of both CoasterMania! and the Magnum XL-200. To celebrate, Cedar Point is offering two days of thrills. This year, CoasterMania! will have new contests, a film festival and a keynote presentation by Magnum designer, Ron Toomer of Arrow Dynamics.

CoasterMania! will kick off Friday night with a social mixer, the keynote presentation and a late-night ride time on the beloved Magnum XL-200. On Saturday, participants will be treated to a sunrise ride on Millennium Force. Later, teams will compete in the Miniature Golf Challenge and the Games of Skill Competition. Winners will receive private meet-and-greets with Cedar Fair officials and a behind-the-scenes tour of the park. The event will conclude with the film festival and ride time on some of the park’s most popular rides.

All CoasterMania! participants must be registered members of a recognized roller coaster club to attend.
http://www.thrillnetwork.com/news/2726/ ... honor.html

The NAPHA "poll" is always BS, right in front of the Golden Ticket awards!

So what about you, do you think MF deserved the award?

Ben

CF Legend
"PHA poll is the oldest of its kind and is highly respected by industry officials and coaster enthusiasts alike. "

Am I the only one who has never heard of this before...?

And judging by this, I never want to hear about them again.

Mike

Giga Poster

I haven't either. :lol:

nearly 1,500 roller coaster enthusiasts will converge ... that can only be described as my kind of hell

Fixed.

I never understand these kinds of polls.
Who the hell are making up the results?
Do they even know that there are countries outside the USA?
Do they even know that there are parks aside from Ceder Point?
Is whatever company putting on that event just making up the results for a bit of promotion?
How can they claim to be "highly respected", when a load of people have never heard of them, and the other load thinks it's a load of BS?

Answers on a postcard please.

I haven't.

SERIOUSLY though, my coaster count is only sixty six and even I know and am able to recognize the fact that Millennium Force pales in comparison to other coasters. How the hell did that AND Magnum beat out Maverick on a global scale, when Magnum shouldn't have even come in third in just the park.

Clearly everyone is just biased toward Cedar Point, and we should all be use to this by now.

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
SnooSnoo said:
^What she said.

I think Snoo likes to hate on MF more than UC likes to hate on Viper.

Absolutely I agree that MF deserves the top spot. The Magnum ranking pretty much shows the whole poll as worthless though.

Anytime you try to poll coaster enthusiasts as the best coaster, you're going to be pretty widely diverging results. There's a lot of different opinions out there. I dunno if there's a poll that's close to universally respected. I used to think the self proclaimed "Best Roller Coaster Poll" was pretty reliable, but 2008's at least, some results have been pretty noticeably off.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
wolverinechris said:
Anytime you try to poll coaster enthusiasts as the best coaster, you're going to be pretty widely diverging results.

In this case, because they have been to more than one park (Cedar Point)? ;)

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
furie said:
wolverinechris said:
Anytime you try to poll coaster enthusiasts as the best coaster, you're going to be pretty widely diverging results.

In this case, because they have been to more than one park (Cedar Point)? ;)

It's a good thing you added that wink :D.

You'll find MF among the top coasters in many experienced people's lineups. You can also find many experienced people who don't care for it that much.

Of course, we'll probably never resolve differences in taste, pretty much by definition. But that doesn't mean it's not fun to argue about.

I think Snoo likes to hate on MF more than UC likes to hate on Viper.

No, because I believe it is still in his top like, thirty coasters somewhere, out of two hundred and some. He doesn't hate it, but we can recognize the fact that there is so much better out there.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion as has been said before, so whatever, but compared to a lot of coasters element-wise, it really does not have that much. If you like the sheer sensation of speed, that's fantastic, I actually have both Dragster and Ka in my top ten for that reason alone, so I can still understand why people like Millie, because even I like it, but there are coasters that do what it does, only better.

wolverinechris

Mega Poster
^ Just because he secretly admits that it's a fun ride doesn't mean a lot. He still loves to hate on it.

fact that there's so much better out there?

Also, I really don't think there's anything out there that does what MF does as well as it does. MF spends an incredible amount of time at high speeds. Heck, it hits the brakes at speeds greater than the peak speeds of many other coasters. If you're really looking for something to beat MF at its own game, the only possibility we currently know about is the new Giga at KD. That's part of why I'm excited :D.

But anyway, to be on-topic, briefly: you can see how it'd be hard to do a poll that everyone respects. I won't be happy if MF's not in the top 5, and clearly, there are probably that wouldn't be if it is.

Error

Strata Poster
Let's take a look at the most counted on CoasterCounter.

Oh look, in just the top ten, 8 at from CP.

It's over rated because EVERYONE ****ING GOES THERE.

Also, I really don't think there's anything out there that does what MF does as well as it does. MF spends an incredible amount of time at high speeds. Heck, it hits the brakes at speeds greater than the peak speeds of many other coasters. If you're really looking for something to beat MF at its own game, the only possibility we currently know about is the new Giga at KD. That's part of why I'm excited .

Yes but, what I was saying is that, it is a fact that Millennium Force relies on pretty much speed and height alone to be good, and that it's fact that there are coasters out there that do it better. Dragster is higher and faster.. So there is just one example already in the same park that does what Millie does, only better.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Also, I really don't think there's anything out there that does what MF does as well as it does. MF spends an incredible amount of time at high speeds. Heck, it hits the brakes at speeds greater than the peak speeds of many other coasters. If you're really looking for something to beat MF at its own game, the only possibility we currently know about is the new Giga at KD. That's part of why I'm excited .

Yes but, what I was saying is that, it is a fact that Millennium Force relies on pretty much speed and height alone to be good, and that it's fact that there are coasters out there that do it better. Dragster is higher and faster.. So there is just one example already in the same park that does what Millie does, only better.

You're missing the point. MilF and TTD are not analogous coasters. Yes, Dragster is faster and taller... for 25 seconds.
It's not just speed and height, but sustained speed and height, that make MilF the unique ride that it is. Some people like to bash it for lacking airtime or not having a more imaginative layout, but people who love it seem to love it for basically the same reason: the soaring feeling coming from the high speed and altitude maintained throughout the ride, which is pretty much unparalleled.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I too have never heard of this poll!

I suppose the only difference between this one, and the Golden Ticket awards, is that the Golden Ticket members went to PBB too!