Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Timberliners, GG

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Undecided - They're both great!

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
There are lots of wooden coaster manufacturers...but in recent years, to companies have really stood out..GCI and the Gravity group.

One of the largest factors that really sets these two apart is the trains they use (mainly)...but which is best?

Great Coasters International - Millennium Flyers

Description:
These trains are known for their cushioned seats, allowing riders to be comfortable during rides. These trains also contain individual lap bars which automatically lower and lock into a position to accommodate the rider, allowing quicker dispatch times. Millennium Flyer trains are known for their classic look with flared seat sides and individual lap bars. They are easily identified by their open, gate-like fronts, usually customized with the logo for the respective ride they are running on.

3058646140_79c324f488.jpg

iaapa2002-02lrg.jpg

cars.png

Gravity Group - Timberliners

Description:
The Voyage uses two blue, 28-passenger trains made by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company. Each train is made up of seven cars that hold four riders each. Each car has two rows holding two riders each. Each row has a seat divider that separates the two riders in that row and ensures each rider remains in a position allowing their restraints to work effectively. The Voyage's safety restraints include an individual ratcheting lap bar and an individual, two-point lap belt.

voyage_timberliner.jpg

197774_10150280140953566_194340658565_7662977_6422610_n.jpg

timberliner-postcard-front.jpg

So which do you think is best?

Please reply! :--D

Ben

CF Legend
Millennium Flyers are my favourite things ever. I'm sure Timberliners are great, but, they just don't look as fab to ride as the MFs. Which rock my world.

Intricks

Strata Poster
MF are ok, but you NEED to change the description away from Voyage as they still use PTC trains still, and only tested with the Timberliners. Timberliners look bomb and comfy, while MF were a surprising let down (though Ive only ridden 3 rides with them, so the opinion isnt final) when I rode in them.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
The MF's look great while the timberliners are fugly, they're too shiny and seem to be to contoured and modern while MF's are classic yet refined, MF's look like a woodie train should, sleek yet simple, while the timberliners are glaring and flashy on a fundamental level, they're sleek yet complex and look more suited to a steel coaster than a woodie. As for ride, I think that it's not the MF's that run smoothly, just look at West coast Roar, it's that GCI tracking is about 500 times better than GG tracking.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I haven't yet been on a ride with the new Timberliner trains, so I think I'd have to say Millennium Flyers. I think the MF trains are awesome. They're sleek, comfortable and fun to ride in.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I think we need to wait a while until we see a few more Tiimberliners if this comparison is going to be really fair. They just haven't been used that much yet, when compared with the Millennium Flyers. Most people will have no point of comparison at all, and those that do will only have a very limited number (probably just the one I would have thought) of Timberliner coasters.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Don't think I've done either? Probably have done Millenium Flyers but just don't know it. Ignorant of woodies here... But I think the Timberliners are absolutely hideous. Lmao.

Ben

CF Legend
^All the woodies at Hershey have Millennium Flyers Joey.

And I'm sure you'll have done others but I'm not sad enough to have memorised your count <//3

But, ignore Wildcat cause that's GROSS.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Haven't done Timberliners, but hopefully will be able to this upcoming year, but I absolutely love Millennium Flyers, so comfortable.

Josh73

Giga Poster
Timberliners are really ugly, so... They don't look as comfortable, and the restraints look bulky. MFs have a modern, yet classic look at the same time.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Millenium Flyers look a lot more classic and more wooden trainy than the Timberliners. Timberliners just look too modern.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Sorry to bring back a thread from almost a year ago but I'd just like to know if anyone else has ridden both types of trains.

I'd also like to mention what I find to be a large flaw in the Millennium Flyer Trains. If you don't hold the lapbar in place for the first drop it will just staple you due to the forces.

Still I'm interested to know about the Timberliners again as I've heard they may be used on The voyage next year.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^I actually thought it was a new topic until I realised I'd already posted in it.

Anyway, I have tried both types now - quite a lot of Millennium Flyers and one Timberliner (Twister at Grona Lund) - and I much prefer Millennium Flyers.

The timberliner restraints are awful. They just fit far too close to the body and feel really restrictive - pretty much like an X-Car, but slightly more comfortable.

What little airtime Twister had was essentially ruined by the crappy restraints since there's absolutely zero room for movement. It's not a case of "pinning" by the ride op either; the design of the restraint allows for nothing but pinning.

Worst woodie restraints ever.

bmac

Giga Poster
Could get my Timberliner sample next year with Quassy's Wooden Warrior. I only have 2 GCI credits (Hershey :rolleyes: ) and there's almost none in the nearby area (I think the next closest is in Maryland?). I also agree with Joey that the restraints can staple you if you don't pay attention (happened on Wildcat three times) and other than that they're really comfy. Wildcat is so much more enjoyable when you're not stapled, although you still shouldn't sit in the back seat.

But yeah, limited experience and the "need more credits" excuse.

Jer

Strata Poster
I've ridden both, And I have to choose Millennium Flyers, for the same reason that Gavin has already made out, the restraints are ****, pinned every time, they were heavy, they were clunky, they were awkward, Someone at Gravity Kraft needs to go back and rethink them. Also on top of that, the Timberliner Trains themselves are rather ugly

Mike

Giga Poster
I adore the Millennium Flyer trains, and think they're a major improvement on the older trains, but I've always seemed to have a problem with their restraints...
I hate how they don't lock in place and continually push down into you throughout the whole ride. Furthermore, they ALWAYS give me a horrible itch around my waist area, especially during ERT sessions.

I've never been on the new Timberliner trains, but would love to ride The Voyage with them!