What's new

Merlin XLR8 Programme & Graduate Jobs

Mike

Giga Poster
So, that time is coming up when I FINALLY finish up with university and start to properly think about my future such as what job I'm going to get and all scary stuff like that.

In a perfect world, I'd love to be one of those snobby hotel critics, getting free travel, accommodation and activities all over the world, whilst complaining that the beds in China are too hard, or the food in Japan is too fishy. In the real world, however, these jobs are extremely hard to come by (well, unless anyone has any contacts :wink: ), and so I might need to look at other lines of work, such as the Merlin XLR8 Programme...

http://www.merlincareers.com/graduates

Does anyone have any experience with this programme?
Are Merlin a good company to work for?
What kind of people are they generally looking for?
Will going into the interview and start blabbing on about Safety, Show, Courtesy and Efficiency be enough? :p
Are there any other theme park companies offering good graduate opportunities?

If all fails anyway, I'm still highly considering applying for another Disney programme...

Wasn't sure whether to put this in General Discussions or in this forum, but meh...
Discuss away please!

Smithy

Strata Poster
Good luck firstly.

Expect it to be highly competitive and extremely in depth throughout all stages. Previous experience will give you a massive step above most who apply though. I vaugely remember spending an age filling out the application in great detail at some point last year.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I only know one person who's ever applied for this. And they were exceptional. And they didn't get it.

Though, "exceptional" in my eyes is probably a completely different thing to what Merlin are after.

He's now speaking with Disney and has an internship lined up.

But in seriousness, go for it. What have you got to loose? Nothing. You have valid experience and education. It depends massively what area of business you end up in as to what you should say at interview, I'm sure you know that, but my logic would be to use your knowledge of working on park at Disney and combine it with theory from your study so you look like you have a good working knowledge of what makes a great attraction work. Learn the Merlin Ways and wedge them into conversation with examples of when you've done these things in the past, without sounding like you're directly parroting.

marc

CF Legend
Re: Merlin XLR8 Programme & Graduate Jobs

Maybe they were to good for Merlin.

I'm sure if you can come up with something cheap and horror themed you would get in.

Ben

CF Legend
Joey said:
I only know one person who's ever applied for this. And they were exceptional. And they didn't get it.

I went for it too!

Along with about a million other grad jobs.

Then went for a normal job, and got the first normal job I went for.

My advice? **** grad schemes. They're too competitive to even bother with unless you're absolutely outstanding and a complete and utter knob. You have to be a very particular sort of person to get on one of these schemes (think a more arrogant version of an Apprentice contestant), and that's not really you Mike (nor me, apparently).

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ben said:
Joey said:

I went for it too!
You were the exceptional person I described!

;)

and that's not really you Mike (nor me, apparently).
...And the funny thing is, I'd have thought you were that kind of type in an interview position. Not to sound rude, it's a compliment.

I was having this discussion with mum the other day, about how having the motivation to get work, to really, really want something and perform well in interviews is as important, if not more important, than actually having the skills. She moans about how her managers don't care/do their job properly/are stupid, but wen I suggest to her to move up you get this "I don't want the responsibility" attitude. I tried to explain that someone who wants the responsibility is a better manager than she could ever be, by default.

Having exceptional skills the job entails, exceptional motivation to get the work and being exceptional at interviews are a combination few people have. People tend to have 1 or two of them. It's unfortunate.

Mike

Giga Poster
Joey, is your friend applying for an internship with Disney? And is he British?
If so, what internship is he applying for? The only one I know of is their management internship, which I thought was only open to American uni students? :?

I probably will end up applying for this scheme. I haven't really got to much to lose if I don't get the position, so there can't be too much harm in trying? I'm not sure what position I'd apply for though, although to be fair, I don't think I've EVER seen a manager wondering around at any of the Merlin parks I've been to, ever. so I guess it'd be more of a backstage role?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Mike said:
Joey, is your friend applying for an internship with Disney? And is he British?
If so, what internship is he applying for? The only one I know of is their management internship, which I thought was only open to American uni students? :?
Imagineering. American. And he got in not by applying to any scheme, but by talking directly to them.

I probably will end up applying for this scheme. I haven't really got to much to lose if I don't get the position, so there can't be too much harm in trying? I'm not sure what position I'd apply for though, although to be fair, I don't think I've EVER seen a manager wondering around at any of the Merlin parks I've been to, ever. so I guess it'd be more of a backstage role?
Yeah, give it a go. They do have on park management and they do wonder round the parks. But my guess is the programme is for something really, really dull at their headquarters.

Nic

Strata Poster
Mike said:
I don't think I've EVER seen a manager wondering around at any of the Merlin parks I've been to, ever. so I guess it'd be more of a backstage role?
Really? I see at least one on every single trip I make these days. Obviously it helps at Chessington because I know most of them to talk to, but you can always spot a manager. I don't really know any of the ones at Thorpe for instance, but I can always tell when the person walking past is a manager. They're usually the ones not in uniform, but wearing a name badge, and carrying a litter picker.