What's new

Merlin 2-for-1s

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Been ages since I used a 2-for-1 offer so just wanted to check something...?

Got a 2-For-1 Merlin voucher with my petrol at Tesco so went to Blackpool Tower and used it on the Eye. Despite everywhere saying the 'on the day' price is £12.95 I was charged £13.95. When I challenged this, I was told "on the on-day-price with this offer is £13.95"

That can't be right, can it? That prices go up for those using offers? Does this happen at Alton, Thorpe, etc? I really think Trading Standards should look at this but wanted to see if it was just me.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The maximum price they can charge is what's displayed at the "point of sale". For example, if the website says it's £12.95 but the entry boards at the attraction says £13.95, they can lawfully charge £13.95. It's then up to you if you want to proceed with the transaction.

There's probably a disclaimer somewhere on the voucher, website, leaflet etc that says they reserve the right to change the T&Cs and prices.

Yeah, ethically it's wrong but within the trading standards.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ta for replying. The display price (behind the lady who charged me £13.95) said £12.95 and I can't find it any higher anywhere else, including the T&Cs. Waiting for a reply off the Tower themselves but I won't hold my breath...

Robbie

Hyper Poster
An update (for anyone who cares) - apologetic reply from Blackpool Tower saying that the extra £1 was for the guidebook! Something I didn't ask for, and actually threw away as I assumed it was just to hold the ticket. Still, been offered compensation...

£1 extra might not seem much but I think the problem is between Sea-Life and the Tower I'd had enough of Merlin's shameless money-grabbing ways. Everywhere you turn they're trying to make a quick buck and it does my head in!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Not that I'm late to the party or anything, but that's pretty bad.

I had the same feeling when I went to "The Merlin Tower" in the opening year. It just felt constantly to be dragging at your wallet and when it wasn't it just felt like you were being herded. It was exceptionally busy though, but that made the constant stops while they tried to fleece you even worse.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
The explanation I got from the manager was that the Guide "is automatically included in each package purchased. This was a decision made based on the popularity of the product during its introductory period" - to which I pointed out that, as someone who has been before, I don't need a guide!

It is bad enough repeatedly explaining that no, I do not want my photo taken on the way in without them automatically including optional extras.

Anyway, I have been offered my £1 back or a trip up the tower on off-peak periods.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Final follow-up for this: manager offered me a free trip up so arranged for it to be the Friday night just gone. Naturally when I got there none of the staff knew the slightest thing about me coming... but let me and my girlfriend up anyway!

Have to say, going up there during the Illuminations is brilliant. The view's great and the whole place is a lot more atmospheric as the lights are constantly changing and and it's kind-of eerie. I'd really recommend going up at this time - and to think I wouldn't have known if Merlin weren't such robbing bastards!