What's new

Mega coaster launch?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Alright, re-phrasal, modern day roller coasters with high speeds and acceleration (e.g. launch and mega coasters) feature head rests.

To build other wise makes you an idiot. :razz:

^^ He's actually like, seven feet tall.

But I still fail to see the debate here... Build a coaster that launches, with Dragster-esque trains.

neo

Mega Poster
Top Thrill Dragster’s seats are copies of Expedition GeForce’s. They just feature an added headrest:

Goliath:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=38

Top Thrill Dragster:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig1896.htm?picture=52

If you approached Intamin today with the idea of a launched mega coaster, it is possible that they would use the Top Thrill Dragster/Xcelerator trains. Possible, considering they’re now starting to use the seating style again on their Mega-Lites.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ingested Banjo said:
No, I just didn't realize that not all mega coaster trains had head rests.

1206.jpg

So beyond the stadium style seating design of MF's designs, it also was the first mega coaster design to feature head rests.

Regardless, your hypothetical launch coaster would feature head rests.

RCF

Strata Poster
That would just ruin the point of mega-coasters. I really cant imagine a launched mega-coaster. The point of a mega-coaster, giga-coaster, etc. is to go up a lift hill, to build suspense, get you ready for what you're about to experience, not say "here it is you'll see it all in about 30 seconds.

Gazza

Giga Poster
So if the main point of a launched coaster is the buildup of suspense on the lift, then why don't they just make a mega coaster that goes up the lift, goes down a drop, and straight into the brake run?

I'd say the point of mega coasters is speed and airtime personally.

Plus, to say you don't get suspense with a launched coaster is false IMO...When you are on that launch stage, and you hear and see things happening around you (Eg the train positioning itself, the fins dropping etc) who doesn't silently have some nerves, knowing you are going to be flung forward in a few seconds time.