What's new

Mega coaster launch?

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Ok this is a bit of a weird question but, I like imagining rollercoasters that I'm gonna build when I grow rich and famous. Trouble is, I like fast launches, and I like mega coasters (eg Expedition GeForce), especially the freedon of the small car with only a lapbar and a shoulder height backrest, but in my imagination these two things don't work at the same time. I figure the linear G force of the launch would give inexperienced riders whiplash as their head is pulled backwards because there is no head rest to support it.

The only ideas I could come up with were to have seats with slanted back backrests, so that in the launch you can lean back but then you sit up without it touching for the rest of the ride, however this means that the rider behind will not be able to see and they will lose the sense of freedom, only the front row will have it.

The other idea I came up with was to have headrests that slid down if exposed to more than 2g, so on the launch you would have a headrest but as soon as the pull up happened, it would slide down and you would be free, but the problem with this is that it is another mechanical part that could break, and also people's hair would get caught in the sliding mechanism.

So merely for the interests of my imagination, but also so that intamin will hopefully come along to this site and pinch the idea and use it on some new awesome coaster.... can anyone thing of a better idea? :wink:

I don't get why you couldn't have normal Intamin coaster trains on a mega coaster that launched?

I'm not sure I really fully understand what you're trying to say.

Ollie

CF Legend
Urm. Just have a gradual launch. Not a super quick acceleration. So it's no faster than picking up speed going down a drop. Unless you just have a fin pole with a small headrest on the top of it. So you've still got the openness but they are also supported on the launch.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You realize Xcelerator and TTD were already built with T bars, right?

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Yeah it's not the lapbars it's the whole that the train backrests only reach up to your shoulders, not your head, so people not expecting the launch their heads would be pulled back over the top of the backrest. I thought of a slow launch that's why I said I like fast launches... Um yeah I guess it was a bit of a weird question anyway I feel a bit silly for asking it...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm more interested to know exactly what you're going to become rich and famous for.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't see why you'd have to have the shallow backs. Surely they wouldn't make that much difference? Why couldn't you just have a high back?

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
Yeah I'm gonna start a rock band actually. Then I'll use the hundreds of millions of pounds that I get from that to start a theme park... But first I gotta learn how to play a guitar... and sing...

Um I think backrests just give your body more freedom of movement, and more of a sort of exposed, agoraphobic feeling. Wooden coasters have no headrests either. Maybe it's so that when you're going over a hill, the friction is less on your back or something...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ingested Banjo said:
Yeah it's not the lapbars it's the whole that the train backrests only reach up to your shoulders, not your head, so people not expecting the launch their heads would be pulled back over the top of the backrest.
All coaster trains have head rests, especially launch coaster trains.

ttfull1.jpg

xcel3.jpg

Though you may lean forward and not notice the head rest while riding, all trains (including wooden coasters) have head rests to meet today's safety standards.

nealbie

CF Legend
Hyde244 said:
Though you may lean forward and not notice the head rest while riding, all trains (including wooden coasters) have head rests to meet today's safety standards.
stamp2.jpg

Do you wish to rephrase that sir? :wink:

Snoo

The Legend
Bout to say.. what you on about Hyde? :p

On all launch coasters though, there is a headrest.