What's new

Major Expansion Announced for Tokyo DisneySea

Robert.W

Roller Poster
Earlier today, the Oriental Land Company, alongside The Walt Disney Company announced that the resorts second theme park, Tokyo DisneySea would be receiving a $2.27 billion expansion which will see the construction of a new "Port" which will be split into three mini lands, to be themed to Frozen, Tangled and Peter Pan! As well as that, there will also be a new 475 room hotel incorporated into the expansion. The expansion will be built on an area behind the park's Arabian Coast and Lost River Delta themed areas on land currently used for parking. The new expansion is said to be completed by 2022.

Below are some pieces of concept art for the new expansion!
tds-port.png

Frozen themed "Arendelle"
tds-frozen.png

The Frozen themed land, Arendelle appears to be shown in this image! This land will include a boat ride which will tell the story of the characters, Anna and Elsa from the Frozen movie. There will also be a restaurant which will be located inside of the castle.

Tangled themed "Rapunzel's Forrest"
tds-tangled.png

The Repunzel's Forrest land, themed to Tangled, will have yet another boat ride, this time said to tell the story of Rapunzel's "best day ever" with Flynn. This land will also have its own restaurant incorporated into the new area.

Peter Pan themed "Neverland"
tds-pan.png

Neverland, which will be themed to Peter Pan will feature two new attractions. A "next gen" version of Peter Pans Flight which will feature famous music and dynamic 3D imagery to show the characters in the film. Another new attraction, the Pixie Hollow will also be built in this area. As well as these, the land will also have its own restaurant.

Fantasy themed Hotel
tds-hotel.png

The new 475 room hotel will be built into this new expansion much like Hotel MiraCoasta which is located at the entrance to the park. The hotel will offer fantastic views of the new fantasy themed areas. The new hotel will provide some of the "finest" accommodation at Tokyo Disney Resort.

peep

CF Legend
This expansion is huge and it's in an interesting location. Some people have pointed out that the hotel will be very close to the Disneyland Fantasyland too so the hotel could work as a bridge between the two parks. I'm not sure if this will happen seeing as "hopping" between the parks is barely a thing in the Tokyo resort.

I think the mix of three different IPs is interesting and a bit odd. However the individual pieces I love. A whole land dedicated to neverland sounds amazing, I feel like one of the rides is going to be a new take on Peter Pans flight and I'm very intrigued to see what they've come up with. The Tangled ride sounds perfect too and I love the tavern (the one in Shanghai is already fab).

There's a cool image showing the rough size and location of the expansion...

9pEwGPYZcdWRR0GwKCqZdlQHfRMPlaE_QhfL-GNQ-De0742z5hsfYdf8fuPIkP5mOlTnbDXNHBa0-6k5p43cSidRm4q9845aXcS4C_gUuV7V3JM7bMGHL-bVB04JG9_7cE-4CcLOwnsOol5PI5p7XjsOQhAGUGaGeOgrktA=s0-d

Source

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
The Peter Pan ride may be using the same system as Shanghai Pirates, so that seems like the most exciting addition.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
They'll probably get their Frozen stuff opened before Hong Kong at the rate things get done at both places.

davidm

Strata Poster
Am I missing something but wasn't all this announced a while ago - doesn't seem like new news?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Am I missing something but wasn't all this announced a while ago - doesn't seem like new news?
Kind of. There was some concept art for a new port, but it wasn't named/labelled. It seemed to be Frozen-based though. It was also in a different area. This is much bigger and doesn't much resemble the earlier art.

davidm

Strata Poster
Aaah right, I knew there was something. So this announcement is a bit more "real" than all the previous ones then! :)

Offical_Pitchnoir

Roller Poster
Instead of starting a while new thread, though id add to this.....
thumb_screen_shot_2019-01-26_at_12.png

Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announced that the new attraction, Soaring: Fantastic Flight, will open on July 23, 2019, at Tokyo DisneySea® Park.

Based on the popular attraction, Soarin’ Around the World, which has been enjoyed by Guests visiting the Disney parks outside of Japan, the attraction at Tokyo DisneySea will feature new scenes and visuals for an experience exclusive to the Park in Japan.

Soaring: Fantastic Flight is a flight motion-simulator attraction that will take Guests on a journey over famous landscapes of the world, while they experience the breezes and scents that match the various scenes. Guests of all ages can look forward to experiencing this attraction.

Attraction Facts
  • Ride Duration: About 5 minutes (main show)
  • Capacity: 87 persons per theater
  • Number of Theaters: 2
  • Investment Amount: About 18 billion yen
  • Disney FASTPASS®: Available
  • Height Requirement: Must be 102 cm or taller
  • Note: This attraction will be available for “Happy 15 Entry” – an exclusive privilege that allows early entry to the Parks for Guests staying at a Disney hotel.
Background Story
Nestled in the hills of Mediterranean Harbor, amidst the backdrop of an old-world Italian village, the Museum of Fantastic Flight is dedicated to humankind’s enduring dream of flying. Today, the museum celebrates Camellia Falco—a visionary
innovator in the fledgling field of aviation—with a special retrospective of her life.

A grand tour of the museum includes a magical visit from the spirit of Camellia and culminates with Guests boarding her latest and greatest achievement—a flying vehicle of her own design called the Dream Flyer. Guests soon experience what Camellia believed, that our imagination can propel us into the future and take us everywhere in the world we wish to go. And before Guests know it, their spirits are sent soaring.
thumb_screen_shot_2019-01-26_at_12_0.png
thumb_screen_shot_2019-01-26_at_12_1.png
thumb_screen_shot_2019-01-26_at_12_2.png
thumb_screen_shot_2019-01-26_at_12_3.png
thumb_screen_shot_2019-01-26_at_12_4.png

SOURCE

Lofty

CF Legend
I love this whole steampunk/exploration theme for these types of attractions. Voletarium is a brilliant attraction, and this looks a step up still.

peep

CF Legend
I still can't believe they've only built 2 theatres for this, the wait times are going to be gross. There's a reason Epcot added a third.

I'm not a fan of the Soarin' film, scenes either contain poor CGI or project straight looking locations on a curved screen which makes it look stupid. When it was originally announced I was hoping they'd have a more themed film made for it, oh well.

It should also be noted that Camellia Falco (the new character created for this attraction) is being tied into the S.E.A. (Society of Explorers and Adventurers) which is the imagineers little park-based universe of explorers. She's apparently already got a small reference on the new ride at Typhoon Lagoon at WDW. Other explorers/rides that are part of the S.E.A. are Harrison Hightower in DisneySea's Tower of Terror and Lord Henry Mystic of Mystic Manor at Hong Kong.

Here's a couple of images from the other week of what the building currently looks like (it's fab)...

Projektion

Mega Poster
Last edited:

cocoa

Mega Poster
wow, that is huge, I'm not sure I fathomed how big the expansion was. You're going to need to train for the rope-drop crowd run! That's a long way to the ride entrances, and I'm sure they'll be popular for... forever. I hate to say it, but disneysea probably needs an online fastpass booking system like the other parks. Having to sprint so the fastpasses don't run out before midday is just not a good system, because you can only really get one or two.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
In fact, I think it is a lot fairer. After all, no pain, no gain!

The expansion plot is huge. I can't wait to see what jaw-dropping attractions they have in store.

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
Disney Tokyosea is already a huge place with so much to look at. I went for 1 day and that wasn't nearly enough, and it wasn't busy. The place is just full of detail, so this is going to be incredible.

It is also going to mean the 2 Disney parks will literally be next door to each other, would certainly be beneficial if you had a park hopper ticket, and they let you go from one to another through a special entrance.

Gazza

Giga Poster
wow, that is huge, I'm not sure I fathomed how big the expansion was. You're going to need to train for the rope-drop crowd run! That's a long way to the ride entrances, and I'm sure they'll be popular for... forever. I hate to say it, but disneysea probably needs an online fastpass booking system like the other parks. Having to sprint so the fastpasses don't run out before midday is just not a good system, because you can only really get one or two.
You can reserve through the app but at the time of my visit that was only available in the Japanese app stores. They finally fixed this to be available to foreigners now at least.