What's new

Mack mega-lites: better than Intamin or Chance Rides?

andrus

Giga Poster
There have been popping up some Mack mega-lites reacently! First in Etnaland in 2013, and then in Niglonad last year. Both of them similar to the Intamin model (with the latter almost a complete knock-off). While both coasters look very interesting, the thing is that they're located at parks that are rarely covered by enthusiasts (at least they haven't been mentioned a lot on the forum). So I wonder whether some of you have been? And, in that case, what was your opinion? :)

What sparked my interest was the fact that Jerry put Alpina Blitz (Nigloland) above the Intamin version in his rankings! I who had been thinking that the Mack version was "good", but a bit weaker than the Intamin version.. Now all of a sudden it appears to be supperior to it's predecessor! What do you think?

EDIT:

The Chance Rides mega-lite version (Lightning Run) look very interesting as well, and hence I thought it should be included in the discussion! It's roughly the same size as the Mack and Intamin versions but has a distinctly different layout. It would be nice to see a comparison with the above mentioned rides! Have anyone been to Kentucky Kingdom and ridden the new Chance coaster? :)

I've also added videos of the rides for comparisons:

The Storm - Etnaland (Mack)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbwrZGUnknc[/youtube]

Alpina Blitz - Nigloland (Mack)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxTYMeT9TEw[/youtube]

Piraten - Djurs Sommerland (Intamin)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYnh4DfQdgA[/youtube]

Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom (Chance Rides)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytA7EL3YjSw[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend
Re: Mack mega-lites: better than Intamin?

I'm with Jerry, the Nigloland version is smoother and the seat design is more comfortable. However I think the Intamin version is a bit faster and more aggressive which will obviously create a divide in opinions depending on what you enjoy in a coaster.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team

I prefer the Intamin Mega-lite, it packs more of a punch. They're slightly more ejector-y, and maintain a decent speed throughout the whole ride. I found Alpina Blitz tamer and rather sluggish toward the end. It was far less breathtaking than Piraten.

I do agree with Peep about the Mack ones being smoother and having more comfortable restraints though.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

What can I say. I'm an old fart and go for the more comfortable ride. :p
On the more serious side. I rode Piraten and Alpina Blitz within a week or so of each other last summer and had a better ride on Alpina. However, Piraten didn't seem to have as good a ride as I remember it having back in 2009. I really need to ride Storm and at least one of the three Far East mega-lites before I can really say for sure which type I like better.

I would go with alpina blitz as my preference, the seats are much more comfortable, the 2nd hill gives a really nice bit of floater followed by ejector air and when I left the ride I had a huge grin on my face. I rode the intamin version after alpina at Djurs sommerland later in the year and didn't find it as good. One thing I did notice however was that there seemed to be quite a difference between the speed of the 2 trains running on Piraten, one was noticeably faster and gave a better ride. I rode alpina blitz at the start of the season and piraten towards the end so maybe its partly a maintenence/wear on trains thing that made it have a better ride

anyway, right now my vote goes to Alpina Blitz and I hope MACK make more of these coasters

_koppen

Hyper Poster

I can't wait for the day the next Megalite gets built and get these trains!
The only thing I ever hated on Piraten is the limited foot space.

293827d1406060297-vialand-istanbul-30-05-2014-img_4913.jpg

sparky2u

Mega Poster

This depends on the layout of the coaster track & if it provides a great ride.

andrus

Giga Poster

peep said:
I'm with Jerry, the Nigloland version is smoother and the seat design is more comfortable. However I think the Intamin version is a bit faster and more aggressive which will obviously create a divide in opinions depending on what you enjoy in a coaster.
Hmm, then I think I personally still would prefer the Intamin version. I didn't find it rough at all, and I'm completely fine with the seating arrangement! In fact, I think the Intamin T-bars are one of the more comfy restraints out there :) (in contradiction to many other restraints coming from Intamin)

EDIT:

I've added Lightning Run from Chance Rides to the discussion! If anyone have been on that ride it would be nice to read your opinions :) LR is roughly the same size as the other mega-lite coasters, but with a completely different layout. And tbh; it looks brilliant!!

Also: I've added videos of all the rides in my first post for comparisons.