What's new

LWV & Flamingo Land - June 1st and 2nd - TR

Scott88

Hyper Poster
LWV & Flamingo Land - June 1st and 2nd

Last weekend Club PBE had its first ever event weekend away from BPB, and we chose LWV to be the place for our first ''away day'' event to take place. LWV were very accomodating to the group and we had a fantastic time, with over 30 members making the trip and many of the group enjoying LWV for the first ever time.

The weather was fantastic, and a lot of us came away with sun burn. :lol:

My overall opinion of LWV is that it's an impressive park with fantastic potential if they could get a decent amount of funding, some of the ideas the park have got are up there with anything any of the major parks could do in this country and they have the space to do it, just not the money which is a shame.

The Ultimate was obviously the main draw to visit LWV and it more than beat my expectations, I was expecting a rough coaster with little or no enjoyment, I was very, very wrong! It's fast, it's furious and it's one of the best coasters in the UK imo, it was also the 80th coaster I've done which is quite cool! I would make the trip to LWV again for more rides on the Ultimate.

I really liked Raptor Attack too, it was like the Crystal Maze meeting Jurassic Park! :lol:

The falls of terror (or whatever they call it) slide was awesome, we had such a laugh on that!

The day finished with one last ride on the Ultimate, and one last group shot to go with it;

And now for my thoughts on Flamingo Land after visiting for the first time since March 2008.

Rides:

I would say they are average at best, Kumali is a lot better than Infusion and Velocity is a lot better than Rita, but the rest of the coasters are pretty dire to be honest. I expected nothing from Mumbo Jumbo, but was quite surprised by the first run we had on it, but the second time we did it, it was everything I expected it to be, rough, rubbish and a waste of time. Mixed opinions on Mumbo Jumbo to say the least!

Cliffhanger was the best ride of the day, and that wasn't at its best, whatever happened to combo mode?

Staff:

If anyone ever moans about staff at BPB again, I'll direct them to Flamingo Land, they are quite possibly the worst staff I've ever seen at a theme park. They smoke whilst running the rides, sit on deck chairs playing games on their phones, they swear in front of young children and we even had some abuse directed at us for filming Kumali returning to the station ''put ya' f**king camera away' was the comment shouted at us.

There was ONE member of staff in the whole park who was a very pleasant bloke, his name was Ralph on Twistosaurus I think it's called, very pleasant and wouldn't be out of place at a park which knows the meaning of customer service.

Food:

I have never had decent food from Mingo Land before, but risked a hot dog while I was there and as expected, it was unpleasant. I think that's all I need to say about it.

All in all, it was probably the best visit to Flamingo Land I've had, but that was massively down to the people who were there, rather than the park that was on offer. I thought LWV was fantastic because of the park and everyone who was there, FL was only good because of the people who went!

My video from the day can be found here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFuQ2964ZiU I would really appreciate if you took some time to watch it and give me some feedback. :)

If you made it this far, thanks for reading! :D

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Looks like you had a great day Lightwater =] Let me know when you are in this neck of the woods again =] Sorry I couldn't make it, at least you had Crossey

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Glad you like LWV Scott, I think it's a great little place. I have the same opinion as you of FL too :)

Though I hate The Ultimate, but I know you'd got a sadistic streak in you from the other coasters you love :p

I was going to watch the video while I was on YouTube the Xbox last night. I couldn't find it though. I tried "scott lightwater valley", "Club PBE thrill" , "PBE lightwater" and none of them could find the video so I gave up (if you've used the abysmal 360 text interface, you'll know why).

So my first criticism is "use better descriptions and key words to help people find your videos!" :p

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Mushroom said:
Looks like you had a great day Lightwater =] Let me know when you are in this neck of the woods again =] Sorry I couldn't make it, at least you had Crossey

I will do bud, although I am sure it'll be a while yet!

Follow the link in here Phil. :p Seriously, I'll get the tags sorted, surprised it isn't coming up considering the tags I have used for it.

PBE's next ''away day'', Oakwood, if they ever get back to me with an email that is. :lol:

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Scott88 said:
The Ultimate was obviously the main draw to visit LWV and it more than beat my expectations, I was expecting a rough coaster with little or no enjoyment, I was very, very wrong! It's fast, it's furious and it's one of the best coasters in the UK imo, it was also the 80th coaster I've done which is quite cool! I would make the trip to LWV again for more rides on the Ultimate.
It's pretty awesome isn't it? Somehow it manages to be lethal, yet utterly hilarious at the same time. I suppose it's quite like Grand National in that regard.

Scott88 said:
Cliffhanger was the best ride of the day, and that wasn't at its best, whatever happened to combo mode?
If it was running on shot only, that usually means it's had mechanical problems. They tend to keep the ride running on shot only until they get it fixed, rather than closing it completely.

Scott88 said:
If anyone ever moans about staff at BPB again, I'll direct them to Flamingo Land, they are quite possibly the worst staff I've ever seen at a theme park.
Based on our experiences at the last live in 2011, I'd agree. Prior to that, they weren't the best, but I didn't have any real issues with them. In 2011 they were rude, inefficient and generally not up to scratch. It left with me with no desire to return to the park any time soon. I'll be going back this year for the Live in order to get the creds, but that's all it'll be - a cred run. The staff really let down what's otherwise a promising park.

Edit: I just checked out the video. The content is great, but watch the timing of your cuts between clips. I'd say try to make sure they're at moments that make sense musically. They really need to be on bar, not just on beat. If you manage to sync up your cuts to musical phrases, so much the better. The human brain tends to expect changes at certain times when music is involved, and it can be a little bit jarring when those expectations aren't met.

I tend to shoot a few seconds of footage either side of what I'm going to use so that I've got some additional leeway when editing things together, and I'm not forced to cut away from a clip before I'm ready.

I'm really nitpicking here. Other than that, it was great - it captured a good mix of rides, people and the atmosphere of the day, which IMO is exactly what an event video should do. Nice one.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
MouseAT said:
It's pretty awesome isn't it? Somehow it manages to be lethal, yet utterly hilarious at the same time. I suppose it's quite like Grand National in that regard.

Agreed, I have been on the Nash enough times to know every turn and not let it bother me, but I just couldn't get used to the Ultimate and it battered me every time, it was brilliant though I really liked it.

I know most people hate it, but I also like Stampida and that is similar to the Ultimate that you know you're gonna get a hammering, but imo it's great fun!

MouseAT said:
I tend to shoot a few seconds of footage either side of what I'm going to use so that I've got some additional leeway when editing things together, and I'm not forced to cut away from a clip before I'm ready.

I do the same too, sometimes film too much either side and never know the right time to cut at each end.

I really appreciate the feedback though, I welcome it because it gives me an idea where things can be improved. :)