What's new

Luna Park Sydney | New Area & Park Overhaul | 2021

Ketchup

Mega Poster
It looks like a fantastic expansion, slightly irritating though as I went there when I was in Sydney last November!

The park really needs it as despite being in a world class location, bar the wooden Wild Mouse and the insanely intense Rotor, the park didn't really have much (I know they have the enormous funhouse but I'm personally not too fussed about that).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It's so cute! I give them great marks for using the limited space, and pretty big fan of the nice large, visual inversions. Will be really interested to see how this translates to real-life; especially pacing and force of launches, but looks reasonably promising.

I haven't said this publicly but I've just got myself an interview with the Marketing Manager of Luna Park Sydney at some point so if there's any questions that you guys want me to ask then please say (privately or on this page)

Ries

Mega Poster
I'm not yet a fan of single rail coasters. Although having enough space to sit without bumping into the neighbour is an advantage.
I do like this one, the layout seems fun. A launch is a plus.

In 2013 I was standing in front of the entrance, but I never went in. Now I try to figure out why not. (can't remember).

richardcrete

Mega Poster
First markers for Big Dipper and the Gerstlauer Shuttle Family Coaster have been found in Sydney. Excavator is already digging :

IMG20210123124935.jpg.263a0e6e3b10e6a91c9419497b0950ea.jpg

IMG20210123125243.jpg.1bd75c3eee0e3dc1c73a6de5a98c3af3.jpg

IMG20210123111134.jpg.a5d5616c1e1d0dd179c6902a8f6b2b0b.jpg

IMG20210123130443.jpg.0d5b3e158043067e8fb9dcf5305195db.jpg

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So the park closed for the refurbishment recently, and the side of the park where the new rides are going has been cleared:-

1612379674511.png
1612379686716.png

Also, this CAD image shows that the Gerstlauer Shuttle coaster will actually be a custom layout, just similar to rewind racers. The turnaround has been elongated to fit around the kiddie balloon ride labelled as Cloud 9, and the forward spike doesn't flatten out like on Rewind Racers. Not to mention the coaster is also mirrored from RW:-

1612379795209.png

Source.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
For those that know their kiddy creds, is Little Nipper the same model as this?

FYI a Nipper is a young surf lifesaving cadet.
Could be that but it could also be an L&T Systems Mini Coaster 17x10, however, I think the P&B model that you have linked is more likely since the L&T model is kind of out of fashion.

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster
Could be that but it could also be an L&T Systems Mini Coaster 17x10, however, I think the P&B model that you have linked is more likely since the L&T model is kind of out of fashion.
L&T went out of bussiness in 2009 and Preston&Barbieri bought the drawings and patents for their rides, so that ride model is essentially the same thing, just with a different logo on it.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
L&T went out of bussiness in 2009 and Preston&Barbieri bought the drawings and patents for their rides, so that ride model is essentially the same thing, just with a different logo on it.
Guess I should've checked if L&T were still in business but RCDB said their version of the coaster was still in production which is weird. Guess the P&B ride is really the only thing it could be.

cocoa

Mega Poster
with a name like gazza you must be from around here. next time i'm on the bridge i'll see if i can get a good pic :p

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The kidde coaster is coming along nicely:-

Perhaps since this is the re-construction of a decent portion of the park with 9 new rides, this would be better in the Park Construction section? Better still, if we had an Area/Land Construction section. I mean, literally half of the park is getting rebuilt.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I mean, the "Park Construction" forum is clearly not reserved for entire parks.