What's new

Lucky Flitzer - Austrian Alpine coaster, Flachau

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Coaster or not, I just felt that this credit is so obscure and relatively unique that it's worth sharing with everyone, in addition to possibly resulting in a few more video views :--D

Firstly, before anyone posts any inevitably despicable comments, the ride is not as exciting, fast or thrilling as 'proper credits' but is notably rare, especially in the snow!

dwkAC2S.jpg

Whilst in Austria, skiing, I stumbled across one of the most obscure coasters I have yet to ride - The Lucky Flitzer in Flachau, Austria. It's quintessentially classified as an Alpine Coaster, made by the German Manufacturer Wiegand, and at 1080 m is surprisingly short for an alpine coaster. The ride vehicle, designed for all weather (including snow) features a detachable cover and is propelled up the undulating lift hill by a cable lift and then speeds downhill through many convolutions and quite forceful helices. You have to manually brake the coaster; a positive aspect since you can go as fast as you wish without compromising your safety too much, although you are greatly restricted by the comparative speed of the rider in front, who, alluding to Murphy's law, most often happens to be moving at antagonizing slowness. Overall, an odd quirky coaster with a beautiful setting...for a coaster it's comparatively diminutive, but is extremely enjoyable and even slightly forceful!

And yes...there is a POV!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJceOGXAlcc[/youtube]

What do you think?

2TonfBw.jpg

POV shot!

sHV1ngQ.jpg

The lift, pulley system

7oGBP46.jpg

OUg9Shn.jpg

Safety sign

9Jhr5Xz.jpg

Most of the layout

QpMurZS.jpg

One of many...

VJQI7vc.jpg

The pistes are even open!

ocKA58p.jpg

AtdeRxW.jpg

gHGvopJ.jpg

Ride vehicles, with detachable hoods

hq2Kkfx.jpg

Close-up

Can anyone tell me why we typically do not classify these as credits? Please post if you've ridden an alpine coaster, or specifically, this one.

Thanks for viewing!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
CoasterCrazy said:
inevitably despicable comments

"Despicable" is such an amazing word; I must remember to use it more often.

I've never been on one of these, only the more traditional style where you're rolling down a metal trough.

I think there are plenty of people who would count these, and they certainly fit many definitions of a roller coaster: they're on a track, they "coast", some have small uphill sections, there's a lifthill etc.

I think the only thing that stops a lot of people classifying them as coasters is the element of control. On a regular coaster, you have no control, but on these you can practically stop and start at will. I don't know why that makes a difference, but somehow it just does. Well, for me anyway.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
It might be because some are not full circuit coasters; in some cases, Alpine coasters use a specially modified chairlift instead of a conventional lift hill.
Credit or not, who wouldn't want one of these in their back garden? (I certainly would)

Thanks for the feedback!

peep

CF Legend
There's a powered one of these at Toverland, I don't count it (not aware of anyone that does actually) and there's one of these versions at Oakwood and once again I don't think anyone counts it.

I find these rides terrifying so I usually end up being one of those annoying peeps that goes like 0.5mph down them. They just feel really unsafe to me and it tends to put me off even going on them.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
peep said:
They just feel really unsafe to me and it tends to put me off even going on them.

The ride operator did state that the ride is dangerous, but solely if you don't brake like I attempted to :--D

Do you mean this:

toverland-03.jpg

This, the one at Oakwood and numerous others are slightly different and are known as 'Bobkarts'.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I've been on 2 alpine coasters (trapper slider at fort fun, and the hasenhorn, both in germany), 2 of the electric bobkarts (one at toverland, and one at steinwasen park(germany)), and 2 of the toboggan runs (oakwood and steinwasen park).

I like em - and there's certainly no reason I can see not to count the alpine coasters, and if a mack bopsled counts, I don't see why not to count their toboggans as well. The bobkarts are more like bumper cars in a trough...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
peep said:
There's a powered one of these at Toverland, I don't count it (not aware of anyone that does actually) and there's one of these versions at Oakwood and once again I don't think anyone counts it.

Yeah, they're not the same thing really. The proper alpine coasters run on actual rails, not in a metal trough. It's a small difference perhaps, but it makes them more of a "cred" for me.

I definitely don't count those tea-tray-in-a-trough rides - though I always ride them just in case - and I'm still not sure if I'd count the alpine coasters.

Actually, the fact that I'm questioning it that much probably means I wouldn't.

nadroJ

CF Legend
In the snow oh my god, looks so cool! I'd love to go on a proper one of these they look terrifying!

TilenB

Strata Poster
Saddly I've missed that one while being in Flachau last year :/
But I got to ride one of these models in Turracher Höhe (I think it spells like that) and I have to admit that, if were counting these it would probably make my top 10, plenty of headchopers, small airtime hills, strong helices, etc.
All in all they are a superb addition to any of the ski resorts or theme parks :)