What's new

LSM launches

NickkyG

Mega Poster
What restrictions are there on LSM launches?

What is the fastest LSM coaster, and what is the potential speed they can reach?

How fast can they accelerate in comparison to Intamin Accelerator launches?

What happens if a train rolls backwards onto the LSM launch track?

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

If you know German, or trust an online translation system then this article about LIM/LSM powered rides over at Coastersandmore.de will be really interesting: CLICK

1. no idea

2. Fastest would be Superman the Escape/Tower of Terror, that initially ran at 160 km/h...
The potential is on the other side really big since the Maglev trains that are operating / in development use LSM technology to drive them and the current world record with Maglev is at 581 km/h.

3. As the Coastersandmore.de article says, the standard acceleration on a LIM/LSM coaster is around 1 g, where as Intamin accelerators range from 1-2(and a bit) g's, and the Air launch system on Dodonpa is over 2.6 g's.

4. Just see on Superman the Escape/Tower of Terror since they do that on every run. They use the LSM units to slow it all down again, the same is for any other coaster that rolls back.

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Good information, thanks!

How is it that the LSMs don't begin to launch the coaster forward again after slowing it down? Do they just deactivate?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Just imagine a squirrel cage motor cut down one half and laid flat. When a current is passed through it creates a magnetic field that not only pushes the train, but attracts it too in a linear motion.

The train and catch car will only go as fast as the current passed through the magnets so if the magnet stays constant, so will the train.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
This video you get a good idea of sounds. WT E-Stop ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEj94OEciKY[/youtube]

OR

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_5QZuacn_M[/youtube]

V Yeah, bugger I forgot. There isn't that much difference though. Sound wise.

Edit: Completely ignore me. I got them totaly mixed up lol :roll: