What's new

Loudest Sporting Event You've Attended?

Snoo

The Legend
Hey ya'll, what's the loudest sporting event you've ever attended? Either for consistant atmosphere throughout the entire length of the game or for a moment or series of moments which burst your ear drums?

For me? Ohio State vs Michigan 2016 during the first overtime. While the whole game had a hell of alot of noise, this game specifically was the loudest I may have heard anything. During the peak moments (in the clip below and following while on defense), I could not hear my best friend speaking to me who was standing right next to me. The stadium was absolutely rocking. It also helped that the teams were ranked #2 vs #3 in one of the biggest rivalries in American sports.

So those of you who've gone, whats your loudest?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Last summer, World Athletics Championship, London.
Peniltimate day - men's 4 x 100m sprint relay - Usain Bolt's very last competitive race.
Right from the starting pistol the noise was insane and just got louder with each baton change.
When Bolt seized up and fell over - the noise level went up another notch.
When Team GB crossed the line in first place, Jesus, it went up yet again.
Finally, when the result was displayed officially on the boards - GB Gold - man, the f***ing roof came off.
In the space of like 10 seconds it was this triple whammy of incredible noise.
Got goosebumps again just writing about it.

Edit: Clippy :

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Italian Grand Prix in 2012 when they still used the V8 engines. Had to wear noise cancelling earphones when I was sitting next to the track.

In terms of crowd noise, Stoke used to claim to have the loudest travelling fans in the Premier League, but hard to pick a specific game. Everton away in 2015 is the only one to immediately spring to mind.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I loved that race, Gemili destroyed Gatlin down the back straight and I even though I knew the result watching it back I still always think Coleman is gonna catch him.

Likewise, the atmosphere during the World Championships whenever a Brit was racing was immense; Laura Muir was probably the loudest of the Brits I heard; the mens 100m final was pretty loud too.

Off the top of my head, Arsenal vs Atletico a few weeks back was the loudest I can remember the Emirates being. Wembley for the Community Shield earlier in the year when we won on penalties was loud too.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
A few that come to memory...

2002 Game 2 World Series Angels v Giants was fantastic.
2008 Kansas State/Kansas MBB. First home win in 22 years for K-State. Place was ****ing ape ****.
2013 Chiefs v Texans at Arrowhead. Its hard to distinguish because every game here is ****ing bonkers loud, but the strip sack to end the game was deafening.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
For me, It's probably a Toledo Walleye game (Local Hockey Team) or maybe the 2014 Big 10 Championships, cause everyone knows that a Cleveland Browns game is never that loud! :p

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I don't do sports, but Game 7 in the 2016 World Series was something special.

To go by 'loudness', I went to some monster truck thing when I was 7. I think that's objectively the loudest thing I've done.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Loudest. The final hockey game at Joe Louis Arena. Hockey games typically have their select moments of high volume, but with this one being such a special Detroit Red Wings game, fans blew the roof off the stadium for at least half of the game's duration.

One fun note about the game...Detroit has a hockey tradition that involves throwing an octopus on the ice - usually before the game starts or after a goal. The tradition stems from back when there were six NHL teams - playoffs included a semifinal and a final with each series utilizing a four win out of seven games format. To win the Stanley Cup, a team would have to win four games in two series. Eight total wins...one for each octopus tentacle.

I counted 35 octopus thrown on the ice during this game (you can see about a half dozen hit the ice at the 2:00 mark of the linked video).