Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hi all participants in the League,

It's usually about this time of year I start looking towards the next year of the League. I generally post a "suggestions" topic to field ideas from all of you about what the League might look like in the next year. Ideas for new/modified point scoring, or any point submissions (etc) that have been particularly burdenous for you.

In 2024 I'm taking a significant period of time off work, during which will spend a lot of time travelling, disconnecting, and just not doing 'STUFF'. Outside of CF, I've had a few years now of significant "life pressure", and whilst I do love CF and find it a true 'no stress' environment, there's also a time commitment for the League that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fulfil in 2024.

I took over the League of Goons from @peep back in 2017, and since then have worked quite hard to streamline the data input and processing aspects as well as improve the participant engagement (new/modified rule sets, results summaries, etc), but think I'm getting to a point where I'm going to need to look for some alternatives moving forwards.

So - to the point of my call-out: I see there potentially three routes for the League next year:
  • Someone takes over directly - I can provide help with sharing spreadsheets and workflows, for adaptation by another member. We can have discussions about calculation methods, Excel, suitable admin privileges, etc, to make this workable.
  • Streamline the LoG - currently I have tried to automate/streamline most aspects of the LoG, but it's definitely not perfectly optimised. Having some input from someone who can help me get this thing to be much more efficient would be great. Alternatively, I could massively cut back on the number of inputs. This could allow me to continue to run the League, but could require less manual input.
  • LoG pauses - without support, I simply cannot continue with the League as it currently runs.

I suppose the point of this thread is just to put myself out there a bit - I'm all ears. You don't have to help directly, but any thoughts on the subject will help me greatly.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give. Even if I don't respond right away, your input to this means a lot to me.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Nooooooo I was so looking forward to LOG next year after taking pretty much the whole year out of gooning myself this year...

Have America booked, a big Euro road trip planned, and was planning to spend at least 3 or 4 days a week at Towers or Thorpe... I was certain to podium next year.

I definitely think streamlining it is the way to go. Perhaps there's some potential automation somebody could help you with?

Is there too many ways of picking up bonus points? Could it be reduced to a much simpler 'parks visited rides ridden' system rather than a bonus point for front row, bonus for ORP, bonus for scratching your ass while the op picks his nose... The distance travelled thing is good, as it encourages / rewards those who 'get out there' but that must be a pain to constantly calculate?

My suggestion for points scoring would be along the lines of:

Points for visiting a park: Per park visits = Visits 1-10*: 20 points, visits 11-20*: 15 points, visits 21+*: 10 points

Points for each coaster ride: 5
Points for each dark, flat or water ride: 3
Points for each show or other attraction: 2

Bonus Points for...
New for 2024: 10 (max of 5 per park per day)
CF Live: 25
Trip Report: 25 (gotta encourage those reports!)

And I'd leave it at that, keep it much simpler for you to calculate points, meaning you can do them less frequently, let them build up a bit more without having a pile of work weighing on your mind. But also, it makes it simpler for those playing along. Not having to record each seating position when you're riding Nemesis 46 times on a dead Wednesday in May would be a blessing.

Edited to add: I should clarify, I do love the system as it is now, it's quirky and great fun, encourages silly things like sharing photos and character pictures... The detail is what makes LOG... But it must be a pain to calculate all the time. Hence my suggested simplified system, if only temporarily whilst you can't commit as much time.

Also, happy to offer any help I can. If there's a way to setup my account so that I can modify posts in just one forum section (LoG) then I'm happy to help calculate points on some of the submissions as and when I'm online, but I'm not sure how much that could really help due to the detail you put into your quarterly and annual reports (heatmaps etc.)

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Just some thoughts I had beyond yes, it must be streamlined:

It needs to be considered what players get out of this and in what way they like to interact with the input system.

The first major change I'd work toward if streamlining is to input into a form, rather than a forum post.
Data comes through automatically, just needs dumping in a centralised calculation sheet, you're 90% there.

However, how many people actually read other users submissions, including those who don't play? How many people appreciate the transparency of the current system? Without forum posts it could operate completely blind and the results would be a total surprise every 3 months (not that it necessarily needs to be done in Qs moving forward either).

Thinking as I type, you could reverse engineer that actually, with the forms also being converted into a format that can be posted back into a submission thread by the operator for visibility and familiarity. So there's ways round it all.

Personally I'm not a fan of just simplifying the inputs, I think that detracts from the quirk and saves a less significant portion of time for both parties.
I'm also currently at a stage where I could give or take the continuation of the league. If it's there, I'll do it, if not, it's ok.
I'd be happy to lend any assistance into at least trying to change how it operates though.

More thanks to @Hixee for doing an excellent job thus far!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
However, how many people actually read other users submissions,

I generally don't, but ended up seeing a couple as I put my last entry in.

It all seems a bit pointless now if someone can just sit on a roller coaster at their home park for a whole day, multiple times a week.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I generally don't, but ended up seeing a couple as I put my last entry in.

It all seems a bit pointless now if someone can just sit on a roller coaster at their home park for a whole day, multiple times a week.
I thought you got less points the more you visited a single park?

Saying that, I did end up with more points the quarter I stayed at Towers than the quarter I visited Florida last year... I can't imagine that works out quite the same if your home parks are Orlando parks, not like you can get into double digit rides on every coaster at Orlando parks...

Looking at the league however, the system works well, with those that travel rewarded far more than those that stay in one area, mileage bonus, max park points, trip reports etc. Travellers earning up to 800 points per submission, whilst those that stay close to home getting 30 or 40 per submission. Hixee has had that tactic sussed all along. ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hi all - many, many thanks for the feedback on this.

I've tried to steamline the back-end as much as I'm realistically able to whilst still keeping the points variation possible. I'm sure there are further optimisations to be had, but we're straying out of the sort of thing I'm willing/able to develop at this point.

The main changes to the League will be summarised in a 2024 kickoff thread, but in short it's going to involve a bit of simplification of the inputs, and small reduction in the amount of mid-year processing I'm able to do. It may be something I can pick up again in 2025, but for now, it's going to be stripped back.

Look out for the LoG2024 forum soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.