What's new

LoG 2020: Results!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Been an odd start to the year, hasn't it? For the sake of consistency, I'm going to plough on with the League. Most of this is basically automated anyway now, and I think it's going to prove interesting to compare the years.

Q1 results

The first quarter is over, and the results are in! First off, let's start with some statistics.

We've had 24 members sign up so far. Of those 24 members, 14 of you have logged points in the first quarter. You've scored a total of 7170 points, visited a total of 80 parks and ridden 413 coasters.

Here's the table, as it stands at the close of Q1:

Congratulations to @HeartlineCoaster, @.Ac. and @Fi for their podium positions this quarter.

Additionally, @HeartlineCoaster travelled the furthest this quarter - with a trip to Chuanlord Holiday Manor being 9568km from home!

Here's a world map, with all of the parks visited in Q1 shown. I've got two different types of map here - one normal with all the parks visited plotted once. The second one is a heat-map, with each visit to each park plotted, and the heat-map applied accordingly (density based).

If you have any ideas for stats or visualisations you'd like to see, please get in touch and I'll see what I can do!

Finally, I will now start including a table comparing each month with the previous years. I imagine this is going to look quite stark as the year progresses. This includes all scoring for all the years I've been running the league (2017 onwards).

One thing to note, I've put the points scored and the total parks on different charts as the scoring method has changed throughout the years, so not easy to give a like-for-like comparison based on points alone. The total parks does a better job of this.

Not hard to spot the effects of Covid-19 there, is it?

Expecting Q2 to be pretty bleak for points, but stay safe out there folks and hopefully we can start to see some more points being logged towards the start of Q3.

TilenB

I do wonder how many (if any?) submissions will be posted in Q2. I don't think any of us live in a country where parks are currently running?

Fi

Woo medal position! Shall be interestingly to see how q1 compares to the final year position, I really hope we can record so,e more points.

.Ac.

Cheers for all effort @Hixee, as per usual.

Glad I made trip out of season, least I got to ride some coasters this year if all else fails

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Flippin' 'eck. 6 months into the League and, without a doubt, the worst year we've had! I'm too stubborn to shut this down, though, so...

Q2 results

The second quarter is over, and the results are in! First off, let's start with some statistics.

We've had 24 members sign up so far. Of those 24 members, 4(!) of you have logged points in the second quarter. You've scored a total of 626 points, visited a total of 8 parks and ridden 55 coasters. :(

Here's the table, as it stands at the close of Q2:

Congratulations to @CSLKennyNI, @gavin and @Sky for their podium positions this quarter. Little solice, I'm sure, as this has been a tough year for all of us.

Additionally, @CSLKennyNI travelled the furthest this quarter - with a trip to Walibi Holland being 484km from home! Given that for many of us, 10km from home has felt like an adventure recently, this is great!

Here's the results as they are for the year so far:

Got a little way to go for anyone to catch @HeartlineCoaster at this point. C'mon @Fi! :p

Here's a world map, with all of the parks visited in Q2 shown. I've got two different types of map here - one normal with all the parks visited plotted once. The second one is a heat-map, with each visit to each park plotted, and the heat-map applied accordingly (density based).

As this is a density-based heatmap, it doesn't work so well when we have only eight park visits logged!

If you have any ideas for stats or visualisations you'd like to see, please get in touch and I'll see what I can do!

Finally, I will now start including a table comparing each month with the previous years. I imagine this is going to look quite stark as the year progresses. This includes all scoring for all the years I've been running the league (2017 onwards).

One thing to note, I've put the points scored and the total parks on different charts as the scoring method has changed throughout the years, so not easy to give a like-for-like comparison. The total parks does a better job of this.

The upward tick in June is looking to continue through the July points logged so far, and I hope to see it continue to grow in Q3. As always, be safe and enjoy the parks! :)

Fi

Congrats to everyone who got points in Q2! Nice to see that it wasn’t a complete write off and things are picking up again.

I’ll be doubling up on my goon efforts to make up for lost time and maybe even catch @HeartlineCoaster !

JoshC.

Nice stats - thanks for sharing!

Is the 'Number of Parks Visited' graph showing the number of unique parks visited, or just the total number of visits / trips? So if 6 members each visited Phantasialand once in a month, is that adding 6 or 1 to the total? Either (or both!) are interesting though!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Is the 'Number of Parks Visited' graph showing the number of unique parks visited, or just the total number of visits / trips? So if 6 members each visited Phantasialand once in a month, is that adding 6 or 1 to the total? Either (or both!) are interesting though!
As currently shown it's the total number of visits. In your example, the 6 different members visiting a park once each would add 6 to the count.

I tend to report the unique parks at the end of the year, but could add these into the quarterly results. It would take a bit of time to go back through all the results 2017-2020 and add up the unique visits per month (for one, the spreadsheet now looks significantly different to how it did in 2017 as I have added more and more automation and complexity to the calculations), so I likely won't add these to a chart, but maybe I'll think about a different way of reporting things for 2021... :)

Worth saying, I started including that graph as a way to see the effect of Covid on the League. It occurred to me that the total visits was a better way to track this than unique, as it better accounted for the fact than none of us were going anywhere. :p