What's new

Liseberg | Valkyria | B&M Dive Coaster

Sandman

Giga Poster
Chris Brown said:
I wonder if there's any chance this coaster could have lapbars instead of OTSR's? That's what holds the B&M loopers back in my opinion, the restrictive, uncomfortable and unnecessary restraints. Even the vests are just lapbars with floppy bits of plastic hampering any movement or vulnerability.

If this were to use lapbars then it would increase my excitement exponentially, with OTSR's it'll sit well below balder and helix and even lisebergbanan imho.

Sounds very dramatic but I just cannot see the point in OTSR's anymore, if intamin can whack lapbars on the 10 loopers every manufacturer should be using them.

I reckon B&M's clamshell restraint would work well with a Dive coaster, especially because of how comfortable they are on long, steep drops.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
What about the holding brakes? They're the signature feature of dive coasters, and I imagine they'd be very uncomfortable without OTSR's.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
CarolinaRider said:
What about the holding brakes? They're the signature feature of dive coasters, and I imagine they'd be very uncomfortable without OTSR's.
This is why we will never see a Dive Machine without upper body restraints. Possibly vests but never just lap bars.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, as others have said, lapbars don't make sense. The B&M OTSRs are totally fine anyway. The old-school ones are better than the vests in my opinion.

I'm just thinking of the boomerang at Prater with the lapbars. While it's fab, being pulled up that backwards spike isn't the most comfortable of situations since you're really having to hold/push your body back. A dive machine, while holding you for a much shorter time, would be awful; you'd literally be either bent double, or or pushing your whole upper body weight back with your arms by pushing against the restraint. If they got rid of the holding brake, it could work. There are plenty of very steep coasters with lapbars, but they're already moving when they hit the drop.

I wouldn't be sad to see Kanonen go; it's f**king s**t. It would be ripe for a relocation though since it sits on a flat bit of land and has a small footprint. It would still be expensive though, so it's not going to suddenly appear in a small, crappy park.

Sandman

Giga Poster
gavin said:
I wouldn't be sad to see Kanonen go; it's f**king s**t. It would be ripe for a relocation though since it sits on a flat bit of land and has a small footprint. It would still be expensive though, so it's not going to suddenly appear in a small, crappy park.

Kanonen = Project 2018 at BPB. You heard it here first.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
That's a point I forgot about the holding brakes, would be very uncomfortable admittedly. I dunno I juts find that coasters are so much more enjoyable with the sense of freedom that just can't be replicated with OTSR's. Granted they aren't bad restraints and they aren't even uncomfortable but they still hamper airtime and natural movement, something that I consider to be one of the most important things in a coaster

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Loke confirmed for 2017 on Facebook Live

In fact, they've updated the website already;
http://liseberg.com/en/home/Amusement-Park/News-2017-2018/

Valkyria – New 2018
In the mighty shadow of the valkyrie you are chosen for the ultimate challenge. Summon up all your courage and strength, because in order to rise you must first fall. Straight down!

Europe's longest Dive Coaster, with a vertical 50-metre-drop. Just as you are about to go over the edge the ride suddenly pauses. Before you plunge vertically into an underground tunnel at a speed of 105 kph!

FACTS ABOUT VALKYRIA
Manufacturer: Bolliger & Mabillard
Attraction type: Dive Coaster
Length: Around 700 m
Height: 47 m
Drop: 50 m (incl. underground section)
Max. speed: 105 kph
Number of passengers/ride: 3 trains x 18 passengers
Capacity: 1,100 passengers/hour

valk_Hela484.jpg

Dar

Hyper Poster
They've just released an English version of the announcement too!

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlnbdweXEdQ[/youtubevid]

It's great that they have done this rather than just subtitle the Swedish version!

Anybody got any idea who the English guy in the video is?

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Even though I hoped for something else than a dive coaster, I'm sure this will still be amazing.

2014: Helix
2015: Mechanica
2016: Aerospin
2017: Loke
2018: Valkyria

Well done Liseberg. You're really up there with Phantasialand when it comes to the most ride quality and well-rounded ride selections in Europe. Coasters, water rides, flats. They have them all of the highest quality <3

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Rejoice! Kanonen is being spited to make way for the rides! Hallelujah!

Liseberg has the golden touch at the moment, I have no doubt this will be fab.

Also very clever spreading it over two years so people return.

So yeah, looks like a CF Live will be dropping in 2018.

I bet £10 that Imascore will do the music.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
So the swing ride will reach 42 meters height at the highest point. Does anyone know how that compares to other swing rides?

Edit: after some googling, it seems to be equally high as the Huss Giant Frisbee in Bobbejaanland. That's quite massive then, hopefully it will be much better though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Have they given a manufacturer? The biggest of these are the Zamperla Giant Discoveries. The concept video looks more like a Huss Giant Frisbee or Intamin Gyro Swing though. Intamin and Huss are very similar in size, but personally I find the Intamin version a bit better to ride.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Helix rendered Kanonen useless. I don't like this Dive Machine revival, but at least it's different to the coasters they have already. It'll be longer than Oblivion-The Black Hole by <450ft so I'm keen to the see the rest of the layout.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Fab; they're a bit better than the Huss version, though there's not a huge amount in it. The lapbars will definitely elevate it though.

Going to play devil's advocate here, but if this wasn't Liseberg, would we be creaming over a dive machine? I like them, but when other parks have announced them, they've been met with a whole lot of "meh".

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I'm actually really disappointed it's a dive machine, they do nothing for me personally, however it is a nice addition to an already brilliant line up, however I do wish it was the rumoured invert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dar

Hyper Poster
He did say in the announcement that they have lots more exciting things lined up for the years after 2017/18, so maybe the invert could be coming in the further future?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Not gonna lie, I would have preferred an Invert. As I know they would have themed it well and it would be a good layout, it probably would have been up there with Nemesis and Montu as my favourites.
However, Krake is fab (yet to ride OTBH or Baron) and sits not too far behind the inverts in my overall ranking so i'm confident they will pull this off and it will be a good investment.

It's no Hyper/Terrain Woodie/RMC, but is a good addition to an already excellent park. Kanonen sits in a small space though so it will be interesting to see the layout for it.