What's new

Legoland Korea 2016

Mike

Giga Poster
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere (couldn't find it on a quick search), but a Legoland in South Korea is scheduled to open for 2016 with construction starting next month despite opposition from several stakeholders..

The popular chain of Legoland theme parks spans across five countries and six cities from the United Kingdom to Malaysia.
Each international park is filled with rides and attractions made from more than 50 million Lego blocks.

Korea has now been chosen to be the first country in East Asia to host a Lego-themed amusement park.
Legoland Korea will be built on Jungdo Island in the city of Chuncheon, Gangwon Province.
The 1.3 million square-meter park is expected to cost about 470 million U.S. dollars, with the British theme park company Merlin Entertainments agreeing to chip in 94 million dollars to fund the project.

"It sits in the middle of this beautiful body of water, surrounded by mountains and clean fresh air. It's ultimately beautiful. It's one of, if not the most beautiful Legoland park that we have."

However, the local city government and civic groups say the current contract to establish the theme park is unfair and poses considerable financial risks.
Under the agreed terms, Gangwon Province would be leasing the park's land to Merlin free of charge over the next century, while covering the construction costs for bridges and other infrastructure.

"It won't become a large-scale investment. Since the Merlin firm is making a direct investment, our government will also come up with measures to attract foreign investment."

Construction for Legoland Korea is set to begin next month with an opening scheduled for mid-2016
Once completed, the theme park is expected to bring in up to 2 million tourists per year.

Paul Yi, Arirang News
Source: http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_View.asp?nseq=152871

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I saw this yesterday and forgot to post it. That's how exciting I found the news. To be fair I haven't been to a Legoland park, so I shouldn't really comment, but the whole thing holds almost zero interest for me.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Seconded.

It's always good to see a new park being constructed but as Gavin said, I have zero interest in this project due to the Legoland association.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
The press release angle is basically "we're going to ruin this really beautiful part of the world by building a plastic theme park. Aren't we brilliant?"

LG95

Roller Poster
Legoland has always been special to me, especially in my childhood. Yet the more they create, the more I disconnect from it.
It is like the Dungeons and Eye branding all over again. The London Eye was there first, now they have tried replicating the experience throughout the world. I know exactly why they have done it, but still have to disapprove. Still, I suppose it is all profit at the end of the day.