Would you react the same way?

• yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • no

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

FastAndFurious

Mega Poster
Have you seen something like that? I did. There was a guy, who called the ride operators to unlock the restraints just before the start because he decided not to ride. The crowd reacted by chanting. It was so pathetic. There was a lot of peer pressure that probably caused him shame.

I was disappointed by whole the situation. It makes me think that even if I left the queue in the end of it I would face similar crowd reaction.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I wouldn't react like that, I wouldn't really react at all I don't think. People do have changes of heart, and if he'd not ridden before, then his nerves may well have got the better of him, and this happens. The people chanting (dare I say, maybe chavs) are just being cruel and mocking, just like bullies were at school. That's what it is, childish.

Sam

Giga Poster
Yeah, it's good news for those in the SR que line tho :p, I can't see why people do it, I guess the sudden rush of nerves etc. But poeple should make up their minds before queing all that time....

FastAndFurious

Mega Poster
I find that teens are more brave when it comes to ride a roller coaster.

Mega coasters seem to be scary for people who suffer acrophobia. Imagination of high altitude makes them really afraid. I have heard that a couple of rides in a row can fight out acrophobia sometimes.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've never seen anybody ask to get out of seat after the restraints have been locked, but I've seen many people walking through straight to the exit after queing for ages.

That's fair enough I guess, the comments "I was only queuing with my son" always leave me smiling.

As for chanting or whatever, I'd never do that to anybody out loud, but in my head for sure!

FastAndFurious

Mega Poster
It happened to me to leave the que in the middle of it. I just figured out it would take ages. Sometimes I leave the line to try out a different ride, have a beer, go to the toilet, have a snack or whatever pops up my mind. :)

Being an operator, I see it all the time, but sometimes, the restraints can't be unlocked.
People also ask to get off at the worst of times, like at the top of the lift when it is impossible to stop the ride.

If I were in the queue and saw someone ask to get off, I wouldn't say anything, in fact i would be hoping to get on a bit quicker if they got out of the same seats. If you know what I mean.

A

Anonymous

See it on PMBO quite often - but, as I should know, people do have an irrational fear of certain things, mine is height. I was so tempted to do the same thing on my first ride all those years ago, am just glad I didn't!

It's their prerogative. Leave them to it and enjoy the ride. Silently mock if you must! :D

A

Anonymous

sometimes nerves get the better of people but i wouldn't react like that.

Mark

Strata Poster
I think it must be even worse when people are asked to get off when they don't fit though. The cruelty I have heard from some people left me astounded.

To be fair I can understand why some people may change their mind about something. They can spend any amount of time watching a ride go and the more they wait the worse they feel. Sometimes, like Rob said, they just don't think they can handle it. It's a naturally bodily defense mechanism.

My method throws that out of the window though. The moment I join a queue I WILL ride. I will not turn back and I won't duck out. I think it is a whole pride thing. any fear I may ever feel usually just gears me up for it even more.

A

Anonymous

Mark said:
My method throws that out of the window though. The moment I join a queue I WILL ride. I will not turn back and I won't duck out. I think it is a whole pride thing. any fear I may ever feel usually just gears me up for it even more.

I'm exactly the same Mark. We spend so much of our time queuing for things (how many months of our lives do we spend at traffic lights for example according to that study) there is no point of backing out! Not that I would now. I honestly can't remember the last ride that scared me enough to think "is this a good idea?". Sorry yes I can. That death trap Fabbri Booster at the Leeds Valentines fair last year. *shudder* :D

FastAndFurious

Mega Poster
Mark said:
any fear I may ever feel usually just gears me up for it even more.

I remember this incredible feeling. I remember my very first time on an inverted coaster, El Condor. Fear of going down the track, high speed. I figured out inverted rides are not as intense as I thought. I don't know what the big deal is. I really don't. :wink:

Titan

Mega Poster
Mark said:
I think it must be even worse when people are asked to get off when they don't fit though. The cruelty I have heard from some people left me astounded.
I've seen that a few times, but I was suprised that nobody started boo-ing when they had to take the guy out. Most of the public just felt bad for the guy and stood quiet, I was very impressed by that actually.

But if people want to get off because of fear everyone will start complaining. A few times when a ride has broken down (usually S:RoS :p) and people are too scared or have to leave the line for some other reason, as you pass people on the way out theyll start calling you chicken and other disses. Its very rude, especially if you have to be somone else at a certain time and cant wait out for the ride to be fixed, and those people call you chicken anyway.

FastAndFurious

Mega Poster
Titan said:
Mark said:
But if people want to get off because of fear everyone will start complaining. A few times when a ride has broken down (usually S:RoS :p) and people are too scared or have to leave the line for some other reason, as you pass people on the way out theyll start calling you chicken and other disses. Its very rude, especially if you have to be somone else at a certain time and cant wait out for the ride to be fixed, and those people call you chicken anyway.

Some youngsters can't deal with peer pressure. They chant, yell and laugch to show everyone around they are so brave. I have no doubt that someone who has ridden like a hundred of times is not afraid anymore. It doesn't mean they have never been scared. I can't believe some people think that riding a coaster make them feel like a hero.

Pierre

Strata Poster
When queuing its OK, then when you sit in the ride its a whole different story, you think, bloody hell what the hell am I doing here I must be insane! Which is what I thought when I first rode the Terroriser the first day I was big enough haha.

Also I queued for the Bullet when I was half-inch too small when I was younger and had to leave I got a cheer of awww's which was a bit embarrassing haha!

Anyway yeah if I see people do that now I don't react, I've never seen a crowd react like that either just a few mumbles here and there.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Well, I've ridden rides before that I didn't wanna ride due to fear factor, and even though I was on the brink of asking the ride ops to let me out, I was like, well, I've come this far, might as well.

But at CP, I have witnessed similar events, where people get off while in the station, and it really doesn't matter, since another train is right behind it, and chances are it didn't really make a difference.

A

Anonymous

It takes gutts to change your mind at the last min and admit it too. I've always been the same as others ie once you are queueing thats it how ever bad you feel. Trust me I've been so close to puking while waiting and then loved the ride.

I was once on Nemesis and they stopped it on the lift hill cause a young girl panicked exiting the station shouting she wanted to get off. They opened the resraints just on our row(that was weird seating there on the ride and no restraints!)and brought like a platform thing up on the track so she could get down. The restraints were rplaced and off we went. Took about 15mins to sort this and I'm sure the peeps in the station would of been a bit peeved as they couldn't see what was going on, they saw the train go out and not return!

thx

Mega Poster
I won't laugh loudly if someone would want to leave the ride and I haven't experienced situations were other people would've chanted or laughed at the person (leaving). I have only seen that people leaves the station and exit, when they see the coaster coming, but not when the restraints are locked.

I have to admit that when I went to Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland Paris, and I was led to the front seat by the ride ops and I was very scared, by seeing the "black hole" in front of me and when they were checking if the lapbar was locked, I waved my hands and said that I want out, but they didn't notice even though one of them stood about 3 feet (1m) away from me. Well I can't complain, because it turned out to be a great ride (was definately my favourite ride then) and I'd love to ride it again and go to Paris in general.

A

Anonymous

Ive seen something similar, but not quite the same.
I rode one of those simulator rides, there was a guy so convinced it was gonna flip and he'd fall he hit the emergency stop, so we had to start again right from the start.