League of Goons 2020: Suggestion Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's that time of year again - time to start thinking about things in 2020!

Firstly, an open question to the forum: Are we still interested in me running the League? There are a fair number of people signed up, but I don't know how much engagement there is. I won't be remotely offended if there's little desire for it to continue - all good things must come to an end, and all that.

Secondly, and assuming the League continues to run, are there any changes people would like to see? I have two on my mind currently, one that I think I'll definitely do, and another than I'm still working through the mechanics of.

1. All dark/water/other rides will be lumped into one set, so there's less faff when submitting your points.
  2. Add into the distance calculator a factor based on the distance between the 'current' park and the 'last' park. This is to further reward the people who cover more ground to get to coasters.
Would like to hear your thoughts on the above, or anything else you may have come up with!

witchfinder

Firstly, an open question to the forum: Are we still interested in me running the League?
I think you do an amazing job with this so as long as you're happy running it, I'll continue to participate :)

In terms of ideas for next year, I think it would be good to try and put greater value on the coaster rides and try and reward people for being adventurous with their park trips so here are a few suggestions:

- Bonus points if it's a new cred for you. This would encourage people to visit new parks and reward those who do compared to those that just whore the creds at their local park :) You'd obviously only get them once so I think 5-10 points for each new credit would be fair.
- Bonus points for night rides. All creds are better at night!
- Some kind of points for the uniqueness of the coaster. So if it's a unique layout or rare model it gets bonus points compared to an SLC, Spinning Mouse or Wacky Worm.
- Expanding on the uniqueness idea, how about awarding extra points at the end of the season based on how many people have ridden a particular cred? For example you could give 10 points for each cred that has only been ridden by one person all season, 8 points per person if only 2 have ridden and so on, so that the more obscure ones are rewarded. I realise this will give @gavin hundreds of extra points but he probably deserves them for all the junk he rides :D

Hyde

I Lied About My Age!
Staff member
Social Media Team
Will give it some thought on suggestions!

For your purposes @Hixee - is there a better intake form we can use to alleviate your tabulation? Since we have native table support now within the forum, didn't know if that would help.

One thought I've always thought of as cool would be a "secret coaster" - randomly selected by @Hixee somewhere in the world, with a 10 or 20 point bonus attached. Could literally be a few randomly selected RCDB coasters.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thanks for the feedback - here's my thoughts on some of the ideas batted around:
- Bonus points if it's a new cred for you. This would encourage people to visit new parks and reward those who do compared to those that just whore the creds at their local park :) You'd obviously only get them once so I think 5-10 points for each new credit would be fair.
I like this - something I think I will implement. Will think through the mechanics of it and update the rules.
- Bonus points for night rides. All creds are better at night!
I don't love this one - feels a bit too complicated. :p
- Some kind of points for the uniqueness of the coaster. So if it's a unique layout or rare model it gets bonus points compared to an SLC, Spinning Mouse or Wacky Worm.
I thought about this for the 2019 League, and in the end decided it was going to be too tricky to implement. I don't have access to RCDB's data, so this would mean ending up having to make some sort of judgement call on each input. Some may be obvious, but others could be quite subjective (for example, RMCs are basic as sin stateside now, but are still somewhat rare in Europe/Asia). Define rare? Dunno, I talked myself out of it last time. :p
- Expanding on the uniqueness idea, how about awarding extra points at the end of the season based on how many people have ridden a particular cred? For example you could give 10 points for each cred that has only been ridden by one person all season, 8 points per person if only 2 have ridden and so on, so that the more obscure ones are rewarded. I realise this will give @gavin hundreds of extra points but he probably deserves them for all the junk he rides :D
So this is a difficult one. The spreadsheet I input this in doesn't track individual rides - just the total number - so this would be a bit of a nightmare to figure out. I can (and do - see 2018 results: https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/league-of-goons-2018-results.42577/post-1048421) some stats on the park visits. No bonus points for things like this, but interesting to see.
For your purposes @Hixee - is there a better intake form we can use to alleviate your tabulation? Since we have native table support now within the forum, didn't know if that would help.
Honestly? Probably not. The drawback with any sort of template thing is that it will simply get corrupted. Probably through no fault of the user, but someone adds a trailing space, or puts an unrecognised input into the form and it'll mean I have to manually edit. It takes only a matter of minutes to input gavin's huge posts, it's not too hard. But yes, something I'm mindful of making more efficient in the future.
One thought I've always thought of as cool would be a "secret coaster" - randomly selected by @Hixee somewhere in the world, with a 10 or 20 point bonus attached. Could literally be a few randomly selected RCDB coasters.
Yes, now this I like! Will be implemented. :p

witchfinder

I thought about this for the 2019 League, and in the end decided it was going to be too tricky to implement.... Define rare? Dunno, I talked myself out of it last time.
I can see how it would be difficult. If it was me doing it I would say bonus points if it's a unique layout (which is pretty easy to work out) and maybe rarity points if there are no more than 3 instances of the model out there. But it's probably not worth the effort? Although you could put the onus on the person logging their visit to say whether they think the cred is unique or rare, and if they don't say then they don't get the points :)

One thing I think needs looking at is the imbalance between the points you get for an ORP and the points you get for writing a trip report. Personally I don't think there are enough points awarded for a trip report when you consider the effort that goes into writing one, compared to the ease of getting 15 points per ORP. Trip reports are one of the most important parts of the site in my opinion so those that make the effort to write them should be rewarded. Obviously I'm biased because I'm one of those people of course :)

At the moment there are some members who are getting big totals because they've got digipasses and/or are effectively buying themselves lots of extra points. I really hope they're not getting the photos just so they can get lots of extra points (I'm not sure why they would given there's no prizes for winning LoG!) but it would be interesting to see if there would be less ORPs submitted if the points awarded were lower.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
100% agree, and boosting the trip report points is one of things I plan to do to set this up. ORP points have been capped at 5-per-park this year, which has definitely curbed them a bit, but I may re-balance the points too for 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.