What's new

Kongeparken | Stupet | Funtime Observation/Drop Tower

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Kongeparken in Norway has announced a brand new 80 metre tall Funtime Gyro Drop Tower for later later this year named "Stupet" (not Stupid, but it translates to "The Cliff"), and will open on June 13th:-
Looks like a fun ride! Shame it will have the Gerstlauer OTSRs like Highlander, but it's nice to see more of these drop towers being built.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I saw the news the other day, but didn't make a thread for some reason. Great to see it here, though!

Kongeparken is a really nice park, I think. At least when compared to TusenFryd, Norway's other amusement park. Kongeparken does theming a lot better, and they actually get new stuff every year. They lease many of their flat rides from the travelling circuit, however, so they are only in the park for a season or two before being taken away again. But it gives the park a great rate of renewal, there's usually something new to see and ride there every year. I wonder if Stupet will be a permanent addition, or just a temporary one like their KMG Mission Space was. Given the size of the investment, I'm going to guess permanent. The past two summers, I've visited the place with my cousin's kids, and I hope to go there this year too. Maybe I'll even get my act together and write a trip report this time.

By the way, "Stupet" can also translate into "The Dive" (as in, jumping from a high place, not swimming down in water), but "The Cliff" is a valid translation too. And yes, the weather in the trailer seems pretty accurate for that part of Norway.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Oooh, but I have the power of knowing the local language!
From the national broadcaster NRK:
p2fwI4-Zlx5xwXdzc_y2rgOy0QDiPg4aZecUYn0B1uIQ

From Stavanger Aftenblad:
c2ae33f5-8836-4c8d-92e7-e0d26de9f4ee

They're 40 meters up already as of yesterday.

Also, the picture doesn't give a very good look, but it seems like this is placed right where the KMG Experience (new for the 2017 season) used to be. Apparently that one was a temporary attraction too. Bit of a shame, since that attraction was absolutely mental despite its small size.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Blooloop are reporting it will offer different ride experiences: https://blooloop.com/news/stupet-drop-tower-kongeparken/

Before midday, the ride will effectively act as an observation tower. After 2pm, the ride will be a drop tower. Between 12-1, however, the ride will have a mystery setting, which will be one of the two settings.

Seems very odd, especially the mystery setting? I like the idea of being able to offer different experiences at different times of the day though.

Lofty

CF Legend
Intersting, the only other one that I know that offers the same thing is El Desafío in Isla Magica. They offer different experiences at timed intervals throughout the day.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Before midday, the ride will effectively act as an observation tower. After 2pm, the ride will be a drop tower. Between 12-1, however, the ride will have a mystery setting, which will be one of the two settings.
I would welcome death with open arms rather than get on it in mystery hour. **** that.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, this was reported by local news as well. Seems like they want to use this both as a thrill ride and an observation tower, probably to offset the loss of Ørnen, the KMG Experience Mission Space that was sent out to travel after the 2016 season.

Last edited:

Lofty

CF Legend
How is an observation tower anything like a KMG Experience?!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
How is an observation tower anything like a KMG Experience?!
Ahh, stupid typo! I meant KMG Mission Space. This thing:
mission-space-12.jpg

https://www.kmg.nl/en/attractie/mission-space/#gallery_2645

They had a KMG Experience too, but this thing was placed at the top of the hill for a couple of seasons. It looked scary from the ground, but featured a relatively calm ride with a brilliant view. It could be that the park leased it to gauge the public's desire for a tall ride.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This thing opened three months ago tomorrow. Apparently nobody noticed, which is actually par for the course for this park. Thread destickified.