What's new

Volcano removal and possible replacement?

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
I saw this and I was like "Oh, another joke."
Then I read this. Oh...............crap.
Another one bites the dust. It looked pretty damn good too.
I think that a Hyper-Wing may be in the cards. We will just have to see.
And watch this get relocated.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
When I went to Kings Dominion for the first time last summer, I went and really wanted to ride this ride. In fact, it was quite high on my bucket list for that trip! But when I got to the entrance of the ride, it was closed. I had not heard anything about it even having the chance of being closed beforehand! I was quite upset when it was closed, but I figured it would be open later in the year.
5 months later, and the ride is still not operating, but rumors were being thrown around that it would reopen in 2019. The fact that I was never able to experience Volcano is very sad to me. It really did seem like the kind of ride I'd like; a high-powered inverted launch coaster with inversions was something that is nearly unheard of in today's world. A unique theme with a unique layout to tie into the theme, I doubt anything will ever come close to the uniqueness and iconic-ness of Volcano: The Blast Coaster.
RIP: 1998-2018

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'm disappointed that such a unique ride is being spited, especially as it was one of those featured on one of those old TV shows from my early enthusiasm days (back when Florida or New York seemed like a long way off, let alone Richmond!).

Finally got to ride it in 2016, and let's face it, once you had come out of the Volcano the ride was rubbish. The double launch combo and inversion out of the hole were pretty good, but the rest of the meandering crap didn't do much for me.

Looking on the bright side, it's actually on a pretty huge plot of land, so let's hope they do something good with it once it's gone. I don't see it being relocated, as without the volcano structure around it it's pretty barren and I can't see why anyone would rebuild it! Plus, ride technology has moved on so much now, it'd be daft to buy it and not something more modern!

I do appreciate it as a coaster though, and truly one of a kind. RIP.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Oh no :( . I knew this one even before I became a goon cause it's the kind that turned up on those World's Craaayyziest Coasters programmes. I get not many people loved it, but it looked so unique and intriguing anyway.

_dezaster_

Roller Poster
oof
Honestly, the Volcano always had nightmare lines and never worked so it took me by surprise when they decided to pull the plug because its always been like that.
At least because Kings Dominion is my home park I got to get in two rides. (Out of the 6-7 years I've been going that shows how rarely the ride functioned)

Hutch

Strata Poster
Makes sense on why they'd remove it, but still a bit sad as I'll never get to ride it now. It's never been high on my bucket list, but the launches looked good and it had the novelty factor.

Interested to see what they replace it with.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Ahahahahahah.

I have no idea why, but this is so funny to me. Maybe it's because it was so sudden, maybe I'm just really cynical. Either way, hopefully KD can get something nice in its place.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
It's funny to me seeing the butthurt enthusiasts. Reminds me of Antique Cars.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Just saw. Sad news. I mean it wasn't a great ride or anything, I wished it didn't dive down getting you nice and fast then right into the breaks...and lord knows the wait times were heinous and I heard it was plagued with downtime issues. But it was an icon, not to mention a unique and still fun ride. Sad to see it go, esp that my last visit was in 2012 so now my last Volcano already feels like a distant memory, but I cant blame KD, and just because something is classic doesnt mean it should stay forever. Hopefully the replacement is awesome

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
This x1000. Everyone is pissed at KD but looking at reality, the ride had literally all drawbacks with very little positives. It sucks a ride is gone but they will put something better in its place.

My thoughts? Giga Dive.
When people are annoyed it shows that people liked the ride so in a way it's like a job well done.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Im sad this is going but for a while different reason. Its one of the first coasters i remember being constructed and being excited about back in the early days of my hobby. Now its going and its been 20 years it makes me feel old.

Having said that I did enjoy the ride when i got to ride it. But as people have said it wasn't the best ride by any means.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
oof
Honestly, the Volcano always had nightmare lines and never worked so it took me by surprise when they decided to pull the plug because its always been like that.
At least because Kings Dominion is my home park I got to get in two rides. (Out of the 6-7 years I've been going that shows how rarely the ride functioned)
Whilst there is no doubt it was unreliable and the queues nuts, I literally live on a different continent and I've been on it more than you since I first went in 2010.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Sad but understandable. Never got the chance to ride it, but it was iconic as it was - for me as well - one of the first coasters I discovered when becoming a goon. Didn't look like the most outstanding experience, but a quirky and unique ride that was very different from the usual B&M invert.

Hoping for something really cool when the time comes for KD to add another ride :)

Snoo

The Legend
When people are annoyed it shows that people liked the ride so in a way it's like a job well done.

I mean.. I get your point but annoyed but then not taking into account ANY factors and just bitching to bitch makes you an entitled twat.

Fact is, they wouldn't have closed the ride in the offseason if they had the choice. Cedar Fair tend to not do that unless they NEED to. On top of that, the ride has been notorious for its downtime says a lot for where the ride stood in the food chain.

All in all, the ride was unique but far from a world beater. People will move on soon and forget it was a thing, just like they did with the rage boners for Big Bad Wolf, Wild Mouse, Firehawk, etc etc.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I mean.. I get your point but annoyed but then not taking into account ANY factors and just bitching to bitch makes you an entitled twat.

Fact is, they wouldn't have closed the ride in the offseason if they had the choice. Cedar Fair tend to not do that unless they NEED to. On top of that, the ride has been notorious for its downtime says a lot for where the ride stood in the food chain.

All in all, the ride was unique but far from a world beater. People will move on soon and forget it was a thing, just like they did with the rage boners for Big Bad Wolf, Wild Mouse, Firehawk, etc etc.
Well yeah, anyone taking actual logic into account should be able to figure out it was a) predictable and b) something they basically had to do and weren't just doing it to piss people off. Read some good comments though, someone suggested it be moved to Thorpe to be their "first launched invert" or relocated to another CF park. Like did you not read the reason it was going at all???

Snoo

The Legend
Well yeah, anyone taking actual logic into account should be able to figure out it was a) predictable and b) something they basically had to do and weren't just doing it to piss people off. Read some good comments though, someone suggested it be moved to Thorpe to be their "first launched invert" or relocated to another CF park. Like did you not read the reason it was going at all???

Yeah the naive enthusiastgasm has only been rivaled by Kings Island announcing Antique Cars IMO. Just pure idiocy I haven't seen in quite some time.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
dude u must be incredibly lucky or I'm just a very unlucky person :confused:
You're just unlucky. I've been to Kings Dominion dozens of times and only once was Volcano down the entire day. Of course I always went for it as soon as the park opened, since I knew the line would be horrendous later in the day. And if it was down in the morning, it was always open later on (other than the one time I mentioned).