What's new

Kings Dominion 2014/2015 coaster

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Being as realistic as possible, what do you think Kings Dominion's next big coaster should be? Im hoping they remove Hurler & Grizzly and put a new Intamin or RMC wooden coaster in their place.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
^I assume you mean get rid of the log flume, rather than build a new one. I like log flumes, and i feel they should not be the first rides to go, when a new ride is needed. They are great classic rides and its a shame that lately log flumes have been closing more frequently

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
CoasterMac305 said:
Being as realistic as possible, what do you think Kings Dominion's next big coaster should be? Im hoping they remove Hurler & Grizzly and put a new Intamin or RMC wooden coaster in their place.

After all the $$$ they've thrown at Hurler the past few years, it isn't going away any time soon.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Your forgetting the anaconda!!! the worst ride in the park! i gotta be honest with you, I kinda like hurler. I'd rather see grizzly go, but I dont think thats gonna happen either. take out anaconda. put a winged over the water. call it iguana or chameleon or something aquatic like that. You need a big enough coaster to take its place to kick out dominator out of the top 3.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
Take out Rebel Yell and put in a Intamin wood coaster. Have 2 big airtime hills, and then a turn around 'El Toro style' over by I305.

That would be awesome.

Intricks

Strata Poster
CPSFMMCW said:
put a winged over the water. call it iguana or chameleon or something aquatic like that.

Cause nothing says water based creature/setting like Iguana or Chameleon (Yes, I realize iguanas do partake in waterly strolls).

CPSFMMCW said:
You need a big enough coaster to take its place to kick out dominator out of the top 3.

What exactly is wrongnwith Dominator being one of the more popular rides at KD? Do tell.

I really didnt care for Anaconda or Shockwave. So yea, take them both out and add in a Spinner or something at Shockwave and maybe a Wing Coaster (a la Skyrush) on Anacondas plot.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
CookieCoasters said:
^I assume you mean get rid of the log flume, rather than build a new one. I like log flumes, and i feel they should not be the first rides to go, when a new ride is needed. They are great classic rides and its a shame that lately log flumes have been closing more frequently
Yeah, that was sarcasm. :wink:

I am going to pull my rough equation of mandatory rides every major amusement park should have from the Banshee discussion:

I know I have previously posted a personal "ruberic" of rides required for every successful park - a cross analysis of rides typically found at major U.S. parks. I'll try to recreate that line-up here:

Mine Train
200 ft. Steel Coaster
Out-and-Back Wooden Coaster
Twister Wooden Coaster
Racing Coaster
Older Steel Multi-Loop Coaster (e.g. Arrow, Vekoma, Schwarzkopf)
Stand-Up/Floorless/Inverted Coaster (can have multiples)
Flying/Winged Coaster (can have multiples)
Hybrid/Specialty Coaster (e.g. X2, a winged multi-looping steel coaster)
Launch Coaster
Shuttle Coaster
River Rapids
Log Flume
Splash Boat

So if we cross reference to what KD has:

Mine Train - N/A
200 ft. Steel Coaster - I305
Out-and-Back Wooden Coaster - Rebel Yell
Twister Wooden Coaster - Grizzly, Hurler
Racing Coaster - Rebel Yell
Older Steel Multi-Loop Coaster (e.g. Arrow, Vekoma, Schwarzkopf) - Anaconda
Stand-Up/Floorless Coaster (can have multiples) - Dominator, Shockwave
Flying/Winged/Inverted Coaster (can have multiples) - Volcano
Hybrid/Specialty Coaster (e.g. X2, a winged multi-looping steel coaster) - Avalanche, Ricochet
Launch Coaster - Volcano, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster
Shuttle Coaster - N/A

The missing gaps in KD's lineup are first and foremost a Mine Train or Shuttle Coaster. However, we have not seen either ride type built at a major park in the U.S. for quite some time (such as the Intamin Impulse wave of the early 2000s), so I wouldn't expect such attractions. Wooden coasters seems to be covered plenty as well, even though the quality of such is lacking.

The one area that is of specific interest is the Flyer/Winged/Inverted category. Yes, Volcano is an inverted roller coaster, but arguably is first and foremost a launched roller coaster. A large inverted or winged roller coaster would make a lot of sense at the park (even a flyer if Cedar Fair wanted to venture that way), and fill a definite area which can be popular with park guests. I would air towards the side of large inverted roller coaster - maybe the world first 200 ft. B&M Invert or most inversions? (That is, KI retains length and speed record for B&M Invert, KD takes height or inversion record)

Again, I reference to our interview with Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet, which makes me pessimistic about a winged coaster for other Cedar Fair parks in the near future.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLs8_lKiYs[/youtube]

Coastin Eric

Roller Poster
Even though Volcano is considered an inverted coaster I don't think it should be compared to the classic B&M inverts. It would be pretty nice to see one pop up at KD, the only concern being alpengeist.

A wing rider could fit in very nicely at this park though, and anaconda could be retired with not too many complainers. I'm very curious as to what they're planning.

SpeedKills81

Roller Poster
How about a shoot the chutes ride that tops Pilgrims Plunge for the tallest water ride in the world? Yeah use the the elevator cable like they do on Giraffica...sorry that's it's name now.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
SpeedKills81 said:
How about a shoot the chutes ride that tops Pilgrims Plunge for the tallest water ride in the world? Yeah use the the elevator cable like they do on Giraffica...sorry that's it's name now.

I think Divertical is the tallest water ride in the world, but then again that is part coaster so maybe it doesn't count :)

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Coastin Eric said:
And for those saying tear down Rebel Yell, isn't it an Ace Coaster Classic so it literally cannot be torn down?

You have no idea how little the "ACE Coaster Classic" status means. It isn't like a National Historic designation, or a UK coaster getting a listed status.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Coastin Eric said:
And for those saying tear down Rebel Yell, isn't it an Ace Coaster Classic so it literally cannot be torn down?
No, ACE Coaster Classic status is simply an honorary title, that means the roller coaster is being maintained in its "purest form." E.g. original designed restraints, trains, layout, etc.

ACE Coaster Landmark honors roller coasters that were of historical significance, such as the first inverted roller coaster (Batman: the Ride) or Rebel Yell.

Neither of these statuses are monitored by local, state, or national government, and do not carry any implications for altering or removing a ride.

There is also a National Register of Historic Places, which the Coney Island Cyclone is on. While this is guided by a U.S. federal office, even places on this list can still be removed without government approval.

SpeedKills81

Roller Poster
CookieCoasters said:
SpeedKills81 said:

I think Divertical is the tallest water ride in the world, but then again that is part coaster so maybe it doesn't count :)
I dunno much about Divertical, I know Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica is the tallest water ride of its kind in the world. Perilous Plunge at Knotts berry fsmarm used to hold the record for the worlds tallest water ride with a drop over 100 feet tall. How about a 200 ft talk water ride with the steepest drop in the world like at 80°?

Coastin Eric

Roller Poster
rollermonkey said:
Coastin Eric said:

You have no idea how little the "ACE Coaster Classic" status means. It isn't like a National Historic designation, or a UK coaster getting a listed status.

Oh huh news to me, that makes more sense though now that I think about it, thanks for the feedback.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
SpeedKills81 said:
CookieCoasters said:
SpeedKills81 said:

I dunno much about Divertical, I know Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica is the tallest water ride of its kind in the world. Perilous Plunge at Knotts berry fsmarm used to hold the record for the worlds tallest water ride with a drop over 100 feet tall. How about a 200 ft talk water ride with the steepest drop in the world like at 80°?

Divertical is indeed the tallest. a good 60ft taller than Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica. I don't see why the fact the main splash down isn't really after the first drop matters. there is a small splash on the first drop anyway.
I think it goes (went)

Divertical - 197ft
Pilgrims Plunge/Giraffica - 135ft
Hydro - 121ft
Perillous Plunge - 115ft

Pretty much at the 200ft barrier already :p