What's new

Kingda Ka's and TTD's 270° downward spiral drop

Do you think the 270° spiral on TTD and KK make the drop worse or better than a 90° twist or somethi

• Better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worse

• No opinion

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Well, I haven't been on TTD yet, but to me, it looks like it makes the ride more intresting.

xsupaxmanx

Roller Poster
SnooSnoo said:
^Thats for the RCT3 forums buddy. :)

Yes I know. Sorry, but since we were all talking about what kingda ka would be like with just a 90 degree spin, I just wondered about an inverted tophat at the top of Kingda Ka.

Or were you talking about theguyt hat asked me about how to make an inverted tophat?

Echoes

Mega Poster
I'm pretty sure he meant CoasterKing, but that's beside the point.

UC, while I know the purpose is to make the drop look more interesting, it would have to be incredibly forceless and boring for it not to be fun at all. As I said before, I'm still looking forward to the spiral.

Snoo

The Legend
Ultimate Coaster said:
Well, I haven't been on TTD yet, but to me, it looks like it makes the ride more intresting.

Which is exactly what it's designed to do. Make the ride LOOK more interesting.

I highly doubt that when you ask most people what they remember most about TTD or KK, their answer will be "The twist on the drop was SO AWESOME!"

You'd be surprised actually. When I hear the GP, sometimes their fondest memory is the insane height and drop. Now, thats not the majority, but the Top 2 things would probably be the launch, then the drop.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
I really not shure if I like it or not.
When I rode XCELERATOR I almost liked just the 90° turn in the drop. (But may be that was just because of the massive airtime over the top hat.)

But in TTD's drop (when front seat) the track almost dissapires from your view creating a cool affect.

I think that the 270° suits TTD well because it has no airtime.

But as said before its not the drop matteres its the launch.

Mat

Hyper Poster
I haven't riden either TDD or KK but I have seen POV videos and they both look great. I personally would love to ride them and it probably would be a great exereince, spinning towards the ground vertically!

I think if you had an original 90degree turn then you would just be dropping vertically and wouldn;t scare the **** out of you as much.

So I am going to vote better.

Almost

Hyper Poster
Not to mention there's intangibles to actual riding it like the support head chopper about half way through the spin.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
At least for TTD, I'd consider it more of an arm chopper effect, which is there, but hardly to the extreme degree of other choppers such as DD or Gemini.

Regardless, the drop has no bearing overall IMO. It features (surprisingly) no airtime, nor any real buzz. It is more just the sensation of turning and speed towards the bottom. Hardly the reason you should be riding the Accelerator coaster in the first place.

It is the launch, not the drop, which is what makes Accelerators so thrilling.

Not to mention there's intangibles to actual riding it like the support head chopper about half way through the spin.
At least for TTD, I'd consider it more of an arm chopper effect, which is there, but hardly to the extreme degree of other choppers such as DD or Gemini.

I've never noticed either, personally. I have looked out for the support which causes the effect but I've actually never noticed it in any of my rides on Dragster. Maybe it's more noticeable on Ka though. I'll find out in eight days, woo, the excitement is mounting.

It is the launch, not the drop, which is what makes Accelerators so thrilling.

Exactly. After the launch, there's really nothing to it, and you'd think a vertical drop from that high would be something terrifying but I don't think it's really that scary and it's not super forceful either, although my on ride photo says otherwise, haha.

A

Anonymous

My first time riding TTD I flinched my arms during the spiral, but nothing more than that. My first time on Gemini, I screamed (loudly :wink:) and shrank into my seat. That's a real head-chopper for you.

Error

Strata Poster
Alright, my opinion rests with all other TTD/KK riders.

Launch is the best feature and that's it.

I do recall my last ride on TTD with my friend James, after the launch, I was bored. The spiral does nothing in any sense of thrill, intense or otherwise. It's just an element for the sake of an element, like the many repeating heartline rolls on Colossus when a couple would have a similar effect.

Personally, I'm not gonna ride TTD anymore unless the line is incredibly short (maybe in a few years it will be). KK I'm gonna ride next summer just to say I've ridden the biggest and faster.

So, pretty much, give me something worth the wait.

...honestly I have no idea if I made any sense...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I do understand where your coming from Joe, in that since the launch is the only true part of the ride, and that the launch gets old after a couple of rides, Dragster (and quite possibly KK) loses its thrill factor and becomes more a repetitive pop of speed, hardly worth the 2 + hour wait.

Maybe this is why both Dragster and KK rank relatively low in more widely traveled enthusiasts' coaster credits?

youthink?

Roller Poster
Haha on my first ride for TTD I only waited 20 minutes! I noticed that head/arm chopper my first time on the Dragster and it was the only thrilling part of the drop! Even if the drop was straight down it still wouldn't compare to that launch! :shock: Pure adrenaline.

A

Anonymous

I think they would be better with a 90 degree twist, because it would make them feel a lot more better but will slow down air time if it doesn’t go straight down vertical.

Also I think that stealth is ruined by it's twist it the track because it doesn’t feel as if stealth is tall enough to have a twist in it.

Personally, I'm not gonna ride TTD anymore unless the line is incredibly short (maybe in a few years it will be). KK I'm gonna ride next summer just to say I've ridden the biggest and faster.

You must be going on pretty bad days then, because the last couple of times I went to Cedar Point, the line for Dragster was no longer than half an hour.

Aw, it's a shame you don't think it's worth the wait. I think the launch itself it worth a wait of an hour.

I understand the thrill factor is diminished once you've been on it so many times which is why I'm happy I haven't been on it too many times, because it still remains thrilling and scary for me.

Haha on my first ride for TTD I only waited 20 minutes! I noticed that head/arm chopper my first time on the Dragster and it was the only thrilling part of the drop!

I still have no idea, maybe I'll have to look out for it harder next time.

The only time I ever actually put my arms down on a ride because of a tunnel or arm chopper or head chopper would be my first ride on Millennium Force with the tunnels. I may have put them down slightly on Gemini before but, I remember putting them down straight away my first ride on Millennium Force for some reason. It's not so bad now but I was scared ****less of the coaster my first time.

Error

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:

You must be going on pretty bad days then, because the last couple of times I went to Cedar Point, the line for Dragster was no longer than half an hour.

I can NEVER go on a weekday. Always a freaking saturday...

Aw, it's a shame you don't think it's worth the wait. I think the launch itself it worth a wait of an hour.[/quote]

I think that a lift launch, air, inversions, faced paced AND launch is worth an hour wait.

And I've also noticed the drop in people's ratings for TTD/KK. Right now, TTD is at spot 9 on my top ten, being slightly better then Blue Streak.