What's new

Kids TV themed land at Lightwater Valley...?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I saw this survey that Lightwater Valley posted on Twitter.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K2GR77B

The survey has a lot of "family" based questions as well a LOAD of questions about lands themed to kids tv shows.

In the past three years, have you purposely visited a theme park to experience any of the following themed lands?
Nickelodeon Land
Thomas Land
Peppa Pig World

When choosing a destination for a day out, on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being most important, how important is a new ride, attraction or event that's based on a well known TV character or story in swaying your decision?

Which of the following characters, themes or stories have you previously heard of?

...and so on.

They go on to mention Noddy, Postman Pat, Bob the Builder, Alice in Wonderland, Roary the Racing Car and Grimms Fairy Tales.

Am I reading too much into this, or is another kids tv themed land about to pop up in the UK?

Lofty

CF Legend
I definitely don't think you're reading too much into it, I mean, they posted it for a reason...

Also, Grimm Fairy Tales & Alice in Wonderland themed areas, PLEASE BE PRESENT IN MY LIFE <3

Colossus

Giga Poster
Yeah I think it`s certainly got a good chance of happening, this seems to be the trendy thing to do these days.
I think it makes perfect sense for LWV to go in that direction. I was at Paultons yesterday and Peppa Big World, was crammed whilst the rest of the park was dead.
LWV, have The Ultimate, but I think they need another angle, its never going to be a thrill capital, so I see a project like this being beneficial.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
There's a Postman Pat movie out next year, so would be a good tie-in, but longer term a tie-in with HIT Entertainment would be a good move. They hold the rights to Bob The Builder, Roary The Racing Car, Fifi & The Flowertots, Barney Dinosaur, and Angelina Ballerina, amongst others. All enduring brands.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Do parks have to pay to use recognised characters/brands? Surely they do, right?

If that's the case, with a Postman Pat movie coming out, Lightwater would never be able to afford the licence. I'd argue the same case for any other current, well known product.

Grimm's Fairy Tales, on the other hand, is public domain. They could use that for free as long as they stick to the originals and don't incur the wrath of Disney.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Yes, the parks have to pay a license fee and give them a slice from the shop profits.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
HiT entertainment are also tied in at Butlins with their Bob the Builder yards (small fairgrounds) and shows with the other characters, plus meet and greet. It's doubtful they'd hand over the franchise.

It does sound like they want a slice of the pie though.

Lofty

CF Legend
Holding the rights to use costumed characters are FAR different to holding the rights to make a whole themed entertainment zone based on a certain mass-known subject.

It's got something to do with making money based off other peoples' ideas in which you have to pay more for using more. It's a total nightmare and not cost effective if you're not going to go in it whole-heartedly and make it a cohesive move.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
True, but Butlins HAVE huge Bob the Builder themed areas as well as the costumed characters/shows/merch. So it's very unlikely it will go to anywhere else, unless Butlins have ended their contract or are near the end of their contract with HiT

Robbie

Hyper Poster
gavin said:
If that's the case, with a Postman Pat movie coming out, Lightwater would never be able to afford the licence. I'd argue the same case for any other current, well known product.
Actually, it's the movie that makes it more viable. The film producers will be looking to get a return on their investment by doing as many licensing deals as possible, which means more incentives for companies they haven't worked with before.

Lofty

CF Legend
You do realise that the money wouldn't go to the Film Producers? Rather it'd go to the conceptual and branding company?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Lofty said:
You do realise that the money wouldn't go to the Film Producers? Rather it'd go to the conceptual and branding company?
No. Depends who the deal is with and how the rights have been broken down.

marc

CF Legend
For me I'm not over keen on them. I prefer original theming and stories rather than the easy way out.

Yes the draw in a crowd in the 1st year or to but do they really have a long life?

Thomas stuff in the USA latest how long?

Will be interesting to know how peppa pig world is doing now as well.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Drayton's Thomas LAnd is the main money-bringer to the park. Last time I went, Everywhere was dead except Thomas Land.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
marc said:
For me I'm not over keen on them. I prefer original theming and stories rather than the easy way out.

Yes the draw in a crowd in the 1st year or to but do they really have a long life?

Thomas stuff in the USA latest how long?

Will be interesting to know how peppa pig world is doing now as well.

Really depends on the IP. If it was something like Rory the Racing Car, 1-2 years max. Of the list, only Bob the Builder, Alice in Wonderland and Grimm Tales jump out, the latter two though, I rather suspect wouldn't be enough of a draw. We need the Gruffalo at LWV.