What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster

Merlin Entertainments has called for the withdrawal of a planning application for the proposed London Resort.

In a letter to the Examination Authority (ExA) dated 20 January, Merlin said that Resort planners had not demonstrated “any tangible progress”.

The ExA previously asked Resort planners to provide regular updates to the ExA, after months of delays to the project.

“The Applicant appears only to have undertaken a very tokenistic amount of engagement with statutory consultees and Affected Persons, and in many cases, none at all,” Merlin wrote in the letter published on 26 January.
Words out of our mouths.

Peet

Giga Poster
The examining authority has added a letter to the National Infrastructure Planning site here:

My summary would be basically "poo or get off the pot". They note the lack of progress and stakeholder engagement, and they're going to have a meeting at the end of March at which the London Resort will have to demonstrate that they are making progress and really prove that they can be ready by July to have the application examined.

If the Examining Authority is not persuaded, then they may refuse the extension to July and just examine the application as it is, in its incomplete state, and make a decision based on that which will almost certainly be a rejection.

This is a good quote from the document:
In response to these observations, the applicant can decide to withdraw the application. However, it must be understood that the ExA has no power under the Planning Act 2008 or the secondary legislation bearing on examination procedure to compel or advise on such a course of action. It is for voluntary consideration by the applicant.
Basically, "we can't tell you to withdraw the application buuuut...."

Ethan

Strata Poster
Can't wait for the "government stopped us from building the world's best theme park" press release from these buffoons, as if it wasn't all a cash grab.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Can't wait for the "government stopped us from building the world's best theme park" press release from these buffoons, as if it wasn't all a cash grab.
I don't think they will be too sad about it, though. They needed an excuse to exit the scheme after stuffing their briefcases with cash and not delivering anything, and "the government shut us down" presents a very handy excuse and a deflection of blame at the same time.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I don't think they will be too sad about it, though. They needed an excuse to exit the scheme after stuffing their briefcases with cash and not delivering anything, and "the government shut us down" presents a very handy excuse and a deflection of blame at the same time.
Completely agree, and exactly why I think that excuse is what they'll use!

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
The BBC and ITV have both pulled out of the London Resort due to the rare species of jumping spider.

'BBC Studios has no commercial agreement in place with London Resort and no current plans to enter into any agreement.

'We would only consider doing so should there be clear and decisive evidence that the project would have a net positive environmental impact.'

An ITV spokesman added: 'ITV's arrangement with the London Resort was that we were a potential licensor of one of our children's brands, which was Thunderbirds.

'We can confirm that ITV no longer has a commercial arrangement with London Resort as the agreement has now ended. This means that Thunderbirds will not be a part of the park.'

Last edited:

Nick13

Mega Poster
With most of the recent artwork, it seemed as though they had moved more towards more generic themes (dinosaurs, dragons etc.) rather than all the various IP’s we previously heard about. It will be interesting to see what they put forward with the planning application deadline due in just a couple of weeks.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Maybe a farm theme - I gather they're in vogue at present ;)

I want the BBC to make a documentary on the jumping spider now. Preferably with Megan McCubbin.

God have mercy

Roller Poster
If the park was going to be built (which it won't) could you see someone bringing The Britannia park concept which American Adventure was originally but actually have it complete? It would be interesting if that idea get get bought to life and be successful.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Britannia Park was a flop before it even opened! Why would it be a success now?
It wasn't a concept, it was an actual park, that lasted for ten weeks, and the developer was done for fraud...because it was a total flop.
Quite a good comparison to the London Last Resort...but at least Britannia park actually opened for a few weeks.

God have mercy

Roller Poster
Britannia Park was a flop before it even opened! Why would it be a success now?
It wasn't a concept, it was an actual park, that lasted for ten weeks, and the developer was done for fraud...because it was a total flop.
Quite a good comparison to the London Last Resort...but at least Britannia park actually opened for a few weeks.
Yeah but wasn't the park pretty much incomplete? All I saw from videos is a train and a couple of flat rides I think so now wonder it flopped hard. I'm on about a grand opening with coasters, hotel. Shows. A proper resort. It could be pretty quirky if ran properly I reckon.