What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Snoo

The Legend
I'm taking the piss, obviously I'm playing when I say that American's can't have an opinion. Y'all are pretty humourless when it comes to your own country. It's like our favourite pastime in the UK to make fun of ourselves.

I mean.. I think the real problem is that sarcasm and jokes can be lost through text.. on top of the fact that American culture typically isn't inwardly critical in a funny way in most cases, mostly outward. Not to say I don't make fun of the fat American stereotype on a regular basis, there is A LOT to unpack with our country, but just not in that manner and especially not by a foreigner often outside of the general big stereotypes which many American acknowledge.

Plus, tbh, I've never really seen you post outside of a random information opinion or post, nothing as objective as your previous comment. That being said.. lord baby jesus who cares.. the ride is ugly.. lol

So I'll actually stick my neck out there and say Steel Curtain actually looks great. Is it overly supported? Absolutely. Does it look like K'Nex was involved in the creative process? Probably. But I really enjoy the layout footprint, and having the track cross across same trusses throughout the ride. It's a clutter-o-steel, but a condensed clutter! (I also think this will look all the better on the ground, once complete)

To be honest, having taken the back tour, it still looks like it does from other angles. Distance, yes, but it's like looking at a wild mouse from outside then being inside the structure.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
*ahem*

So I'll actually stick my neck out there and say Steel Curtain actually looks great. Is it overly supported? Absolutely. Does it look like K'Nex was involved in the creative process? Probably. But I really enjoy the layout footprint, and having the track cross across same trusses throughout the ride. It's a clutter-o-steel, but a condensed clutter! (I also think this will look all the better on the ground, once complete)

Haha, that's why I said "most".

I do like the layout of the ride, it's clever and unique. The shaping is a bit questionable, but I can't fully judge it until riding/seeing a pov of the actual end product. I do have to say that I'm glad it has lapbars, because they'll help negate any unplanned laterals the ride will probably have. Most coaster's that have OTSR and headbanging is due to jerky unplanned laterals/jerks, and I believe this ride could end up being pretty jerky. Time will tell on that part.

I also like what you've said about the ride sharing it's own structure, I just don't like the way they've gone about it. I think that's why it looks so jarring. There are no clean lines. It's the Fiat Multipla of coasters.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
*ahem*

I think this is more like it:-
2016-Toyota-Prius-Coupe-Hatchback-Two-5dr-Hatchback-Exterior-1.png

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
Maybe this is all the years of making similar-lookin things in RCT2 talking, but I think it looks good. I like the industrial look of the supports... the looks of the train is a different matter

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I was a bit disappointed from the initial render because I knew it would be ugly, especially next to racer and in a park with so much historic stuff but then if it's quirky and interesting enough and runs smoothly I guess we should just be glad that we are getting a unique cred like this.

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
I'm sure when Jack Rabbit and Racer opened people also thought they were ugly, overengineered, messes of a structure that ruined the quaint and classic atmosphere of the trolley and picnic park!

jay37415

Mega Poster
These pictures come courtesy of Kennywood Connection. This picture shows the workers test fitting the final piece. The Sea serpent is now complete and may I add looks amazing.

The other picture shows workers installing the lift chain. I added this because there was questions about the cross ties that got removed and I said it was probably for maintenance and it appears to be correct.

IMG_5314.JPG IMG_5315.JPG

Last edited:

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
Yeah, it's super gross. I wish they would of gone with more normal supports. As far as colors, you have to match the exact specifications of the theme and if you were to reverse with the track yellow supports black, than the track might be less easy to see from far away.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Cost has to be the reason why. The supports may be pretty disgusting to look at, the way they all butt into each other and support that lift hill, sea serpent roll, and more, is extremely impressive. Of course "normal" supports would've looked much better (see: Maxx Force), but likely far more expensive.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Sorry for the asking again, but any rough open date? I likely will have to shelve this till next year but if I do go up to the Northeast later this year....maybe I can get some PA friends to swing out here.
I just wanna see the thing run.

Curious, why do so many people think its ugly? If its the colors I do hope people understand its based off the colors of the sports team they had no choice. Guess its persona preference but I think black supports and yellow track would've been hideous personally and glad they did this.
If its all about the supports....IDK guess Im weird! I like it. Maybe its purely because its different, or maybe supports just dont mean much to me but yeah I dont see the weirdness with it.

Snoo

The Legend
Sorry for the asking again, but any rough open date? I likely will have to shelve this till next year but if I do go up to the Northeast later this year....maybe I can get some PA friends to swing out here.
I just wanna see the thing run.

Curious, why do so many people think its ugly? If its the colors I do hope people understand its based off the colors of the sports team they had no choice. Guess its persona preference but I think black supports and yellow track would've been hideous personally and glad they did this.
If its all about the supports....IDK guess Im weird! I like it. Maybe its purely because its different, or maybe supports just dont mean much to me but yeah I dont see the weirdness with it.

Whole lot of no one knows. Been probing KW and they don't know as well. At LEAST a month after track completion IMO. So we aren't there yet.

The structure is ugly IMO. While I hate the steelers, the color scheme isn't bad (love me some TTD and that big ol yellow monstrosity).

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Whole lot of no one knows. Been probing KW and they don't know as well. At LEAST a month after track completion IMO. So we aren't there yet.

The structure is ugly IMO. While I hate the steelers, the color scheme isn't bad (love me some TTD and that big ol yellow monstrosity).
Yeah, dont get me wrong I dont really like the colors but I dont gripe cause, I get it. I mean if there was a NY giants based ride (which I assume would be a slow launch into a brick wall) and they made the colors not blue and white it'd be stupid. Any sports team for that matter. And yeah I hate the Steelers too but again I get it. It is Pittsburgh they aren't gunna put a a Baltimore Ravens themed ride in although LOL I would love the see the reaction.
But hey to each their own, the weirdness of the structure doesnt bug me, I do kinda like it IDK maybe it molds well with the overall weirdness of it.

And thanks! Hm its out of the way from my home, I'll likely just do KW next year but I still wanna hold hope lol

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
Yeah, dont get me wrong I dont really like the colors but I dont gripe cause, I get it. I mean if there was a NY giants based ride (which I assume would be a slow launch into a brick wall) and they made the colors not blue and white it'd be stupid. Any sports team for that matter. And yeah I hate the Steelers too but again I get it. It is Pittsburgh they aren't gunna put a a Baltimore Ravens themed ride in although LOL I would love the see the reaction.
But hey to each their own, the weirdness of the structure doesnt bug me, I do kinda like it IDK maybe it molds well with the overall weirdness of it.

And thanks! Hm its out of the way from my home, I'll likely just do KW next year but I still wanna hold hope lol

A drop tower without brakes at the bottom, just a slam into the concrete- THAT’S a NY Giants ride for ya

jay37415

Mega Poster
A drop tower without brakes at the bottom, just a slam into the concrete- THAT’S a NY Giants ride for ya

If thats the case, then the new Giga at Kings Island would represent the Bengals very well. Shows a lot of promise to the fanbase but ends up being a big disappointment.

Back to the Curtian, there's pictures showing about 5 pieces of track are all thats needed to complete it. Hopefully that will be this week. If so, there's a slim possibility this will be open for the CF Live. But Fourth of July is more realistic.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
We've seen coasters open within a week of track completion before, but I don't think we'll see that with this beast. They still have to vet the ride controls and like want to do more extensive testing prior to opening. Also, we don't know what the rest of the area looks like - it could still be way off or they could be adding the finishing touches.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
We've seen coasters open within a week of track completion before, but I don't think we'll see that with this beast. They still have to vet the ride controls and like want to do more extensive testing prior to opening. Also, we don't know what the rest of the area looks like - it could still be way off or they could be adding the finishing touches.

I was there a couple of weeks ago before they started putting the final track pieces up, and by the looks of it they still had an awful lot to do even then. Plenty of final groundwork/queue line and station bits weren't ready.