What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I hope some of those close-ups will be available for photos when the ride is finished. They would look great with the trains in too!

Pear

Strata Poster
image1.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image2.jpg

W243kpd.jpg

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
On that first picture I was like, "That isn't as tall and intimidating as I was expecting it to look..." But on the second I went "WOW!" This is going to be an iconic coaster not just in terms of uniqueness, but also in the scenic and (dare I say?) beautifully shaped elements. Anyways, doesn't the completion of the dive loop mean that Steel Curtain's track construction is fully complete?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
On that first picture I was like, "That isn't as tall and intimidating as I was expecting it to look..." But on the second I went "WOW!" This is going to be an iconic coaster not just in terms of uniqueness, but also in the scenic and (dare I say?) beautifully shaped elements. Anyways, doesn't the completion of the dive loop mean that Steel Curtain's track construction is fully complete?
No. We still need the first inversion, drop, and first half of he sea-serpent roll yet.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
It certainly seems like its nearing completion.
Im still waiting on any word, even if insider tip, of a June opening. I gotta book a flight back and still waiting on if itll be out of Pittsburgh or Cincy, if this ride isnt open and I swing by KI instead

It does look great.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
For those wanting the really high detailed graphic:
SC_BIRDS%20EYE_View03.jpg

And yes, it's an inversion. Or at least, as much an inversion as a B&M Wing Dive Drop has.

omg yessss
So many bashed its weirdness, I think it looks awesome. I like uniqueness in a world of clones and cookie cutters but it seems like it could be intense and have, hopefully, some good air moments.

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
Looks like they ended up removing the track structure that had cuts in it, so I guess they are replacing it entirely. Hopefully work starts soon building that last tower.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I like how Maxx Force's construction seems to have not had many issues, yet they manged to **** up this ride's construction in almost every way possible it seems.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I like how Maxx Force's construction seems to have not had many issues, yet they manged to :emoji_zipper_mouth: up this ride's construction in almost every way possible it seems.
To be fair, this has like 100 times the amount of track that Maxx Force has. ;)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Plus updates from Maxx Force have been minimal, and considering that it's taken a criminally long time to get Maxx Force to where it is now, they could have replaced all the track for all we know.

Rupert

Mega Poster
With news of track replacement, I’m assuming this has no chance of opening at the end of May/start of June? This is going to be one bad spite :(

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
With news of track replacement, I’m assuming this has no chance of opening at the end of May/start of June? This is going to be one bad spite :(
As a matter of fact, Steel Curtain is rumored to be aiming for a July opening. I feel very sorry for you if you'll end up missing what looks to be a spectacular ride. But hey, I missed Tigris' soft opening by one day! I know, it's merely a clone; still,l I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't take a ride.

Hutch

Strata Poster
If that's the case I'm gonna be cutting it close with my July trip.

How do we know for sure they replaced a piece of track? Even so, I'm hoping it's not too much of a delay considering they only had a few more pieces to put in up top.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Let's back this bus up for a second. I'm assuming that the rumors of a July opening have stemmed from that news article that surfaced a few weeks ago, which the park confirmed that the stated July opening was erroneous at the time. @Snoo has been in contact with the park regarding its opening and they are not yet comfortable with announcing any opening date yet. The best they can tell us is that they're working as hard as they can to get the ride open ASAP.

Regarding the Kennywood Live currently scheduled for June 22nd: At this time, we are still planning on holding the Live on this date for the time being. @Snoo and I have been watching the progress and will make a game call on rescheduling or not when we're together at Carowinds in two weeks. If you're planning on attending the Kennywood Live, I'd hold off on making any travel accommodations for a few more weeks. Finally, if we do flex the Kennywood Live, we will only be moving the Kennywood day - we will still plan on visiting Cedar Point on June 23rd.

@Hutch - Someone posted an update to Reddit showing the completed lift/predrop with an incomplete banana roll and then a second photo with the predrop missing and the banana roll complete. We can assume that it was removed due to that cross tie getting cut out, but who knows if they're doing a complete replacement or if they just pulled it down to re-weld it on the ground:

https://www.reddit.com/r/path%3D%252Fr%252Frollercoasters%252Fcomments%252Fbe7cui%252F

Watching this ride progress has been so frustrating. It's late April now and they still have an entire tower to construct, but with this latest piece getting removed it feels like there's no end in sight. Granted, they could possibly knock up that final tower in a week, and hopefully the electrical is nearly complete.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Oof, rough news. Solidifies my belief that early June is not happening and I will plan accordingly. Im thinking of shifting to SFoG on my way back (helluva lot closer to Tallahassee too, rather than flying in from Pitt which still will need a layover), and when I go to Dollywood later in the year, I may tack on a 2nd leg to Kennywood, when the ride will be open.
Even if progress really explodes, June 9 seems quite unrealistic.

CeramicRabbit

Roller Poster
Oof, rough news. Solidifies my belief that early June is not happening and I will plan accordingly. Im thinking of shifting to SFoG on my way back (helluva lot closer to Tallahassee too, rather than flying in from Pitt which still will need a layover), and when I go to Dollywood later in the year, I may tack on a 2nd leg to Kennywood, when the ride will be open.
Even if progress really explodes, June 9 seems quite unrealistic.
I agree June 9th probably isn't gonna happen. I think early July is a pretty good if optimistic guess because I am thinking they can have all the track installed by the end of May and then will need a month for testing and final touches.