What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I don't really get how one extra coaster makes a pattern when three of their other parks are getting new coasters - surely just one of their parks getting a new coaster is the chain allowing new coasters to be built in their parks? o_O

Once would be an exception, twice would be an oddity, considering this chain three would be a golden age the likes of which might never be seen again, but at four, maybe one is allowed to be optimistic?

Nah, maybe it is that I've spent so much time bashing Parques Reunidos I'm starting to wonder if I may be overreacting, and thus need to put my "they will never spend money on anything" attitude to rest. Them building their fourth non-kiddy coaster in three years might be a sign that my perception of their policies needs some adjustment.

Of course, if it turns out they're demolishing the flume just to save the operating costs, and don't bother replacing it, I wouldn't be that surprised either...

Lofty

CF Legend
I think based off of history you have a right to be pessimistic against PR, but it looks like they are heavily investing from now on.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
This Spanish news article shows how Parques is going to divvy up their 55 million Euro($65,132,100) budget for next year, including a 7 million Euro($8,289,540) retheme of one of Kennywood's kiddy areas.

http://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20...nes-en-2018-en-renovar-y-ampliar-centros.html
Madrid, November 29 (EFE) .- Parques Reunidos will invest 55 million euros next year in its leisure parks, mainly in renovations and extensions, according to the presentation submitted to the National Securities Market Commission (CNMV).

The largest amount, 25 million euros, will go to the thematic area dedicated to the Ducati motorcycle manufacturer that will build in Mirabilandia park, in the region of Emilia-Romagna (Italy), and whose inauguration is scheduled for 2019.

In the Amusement Park of Madrid will invest 5 million euros, specifically in the new Nickelodeon area, according to the same source, which details that will allocate another 8 million to expand the water park Warner Beach.

Among other projects that will invest in next year, include the expansion of Mirabeach (Italy) and a new children's area theme in Kennywood (United States), both with a budget of 7 million.

By 2018, Parques Reunidos expects its gross operating profit (EBITDA) to grow at least 10%, supported by the potential growth of the asset portfolio, the recovery of the climate and its new investment projects.

The group plans to open three of the seven indoor leisure centers in which it works during the year: two Nickelodeon Adventure centers in Murcia and Madrid, and an Atlantis Aquarium in Madrid.

According to the company, the development of this type of facilities, both in shopping malls and in emblematic urban buildings, constitutes one of its main growth strategies because it contributes to increasing income stability and reducing the seasonality associated with the weather.

In its last fiscal year, closed in September, Parques Reunidos achieved a net profit of 11.4 million, 222.1% more than the 3.5 million it earned a year earlier, when its accounts were burdened by the costs of IPO.

Revenues fell by 0.8%, to 579.3 million, weighed down by the adverse weather recorded during the high season, especially in the United States and to a lesser extent in Central Europe.

The Board of Directors will propose to distribute among its shareholders the payment of a dividend of 0.25 euros per share, which will entail a disbursement of 20 million euros. EFE

The article also says that Parques is looking to open a few FECs soon, so that'll be fun.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
So, as a reminder, Parques Reunidos owns 17 amusement parks. And they will invest € 55 million, apparently. 25 million in Mirabilandia, 5 million in Parque de Attraciones de Madrid, 7 million in Kennywood, and 8 million in Parque Warner Madrid (specifically, its water park). That leaves 55 - (25 + 5 + 7 + 8) = 10 million Euros to share between its remaining 13 amusement parks.

I guess the hope of seeing something special for the 30th anniversary of my home park can be finally laid to rest now.

The numbers further down in the article are interesting too. Parques Reunidos had 579.3 million Euros in revenue, but report net profit of €11.4 million. They spend 55 million on upgrades and renovations.

By comparison, Liseberg invested 25 million Euros in Helix in 2014. 3 million on Mechanica in 2015. 17 million on various things in 2016. And a total of 25 million on Loke and Valkyria in 2017 and 2018. That's 70 million Euros in one park in five years, for an average of 14 million per year.

Parques Reunidos had seven times as many visitors last year as Liseberg according to the TEA 2016 report, yet invest less than four times as much money, that they spread across 17 parks. Okay, Liseberg is a bit of an extreme outlier to compare with, but it still illustrates Parques Reunidos' famous stinginess.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
So... not a Hybrid, not a Raptor, and not a T-Rex? Sounds like they're going to RMC to me, but no idea what they're buying there since they've excluded their entire product range. Maybe they've asked RMC to provide a family ride? Then again, if a family ride is what they're getting, why go to RMC?

Or they could be trolling.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sounds like they're going to RMC to me, but no idea what they're buying there since they've excluded their entire product range.
What about the topper track? That's 'traditional' wood, isn't it?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
What about the topper track? That's 'traditional' wood, isn't it?

Good catch! And Kennywood has a whooping three woodies RMC could do their work on. Then again, they're all really old (the youngest of the three is from 1927), so perhaps they're a little too historical to refurbish like that? I mean, their average age is almost a decade higher than the average age of Blackpool's woodies, and a refurbishment there would be completely unthinkable.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Or any reason why it couldn't be a ground-up model?

Peet

Giga Poster
Good catch! And Kennywood has a whooping three woodies RMC could do their work on. Then again, they're all really old (the youngest of the three is from 1927), so perhaps they're a little too historical to refurbish like that? I mean, their average age is almost a decade higher than the average age of Blackpool's woodies, and a refurbishment there would be completely unthinkable.
I believe most coasters that age don't have proper foundations so I can't see RMC going near them from a technical as well as a historic point of view.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Are the coasters at Kennywood listed (or whatever the USA equivalent is)? I know they've got ACE Classic status, but I'm talking about local/regional/federal protection. That might also be another reason against not touching the old ones.

Snoo

The Legend
To touch Thunderbolt or Jack Rabbit would be blasphemy.. not even with age or their classic status taken into consideration. They're great rides with amazing atmosphere. I'd take status quo over another RMC.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Or any reason why it couldn't be a ground-up model?

Parques-Reunidos-Logo_cuadrado-300x200.jpg

+

80721bb7-cd48-11e6-b490-0f437cfe09ba.png

Nah, just kidding. Evidently, they are building something. Could very well be a ground-up model!

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
If it's an RMC ground up topper track is the only thing we could be looking at, but it could reasonably still be anything from topper to steel coaster to a flat. If it's not an RMC, that's one hell of a troll to the enthusiast community so A+ to Kennywood for that.