What's new

Kärnan Review (the pic is not mine).

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
2014_0901_HansaPark_Karnan_Art.jpg

So I went to Germany and the highlight of my trip was Karnan. So I got to the park and rushed to Karnan. I waited for 20 mins. My first ride was in the back row
Surprise!
On the coaster's vertical lift hill when you're almost at the top, the train stops, then all of a sudden the trains falls backward. The train climbs back up the lift hill. That was a pleasant surprise. I wish more coasters could have a element like that. Most people on the ride were screaming (I heard one lady swear in German).
Dat drop tho
The first drop in the back was insane! It provided the weirdest feeling I've ever experienced. It's the best drop I've ever experienced. You get a pop of strong sustained airtime. I find the drop in the back comparable to El Toro's drop in the back. I wonder how it would have felt if this was a oversized spinning coaster.....
The outdoor portion.
The outdoor portion of this ride is very intense and fun. The non inverting sea serpent roll (I don't know what the official name of the element is called) provides some great airtime (very strong floater), and the overbank following that provides some great lateral airtime. The rest of the outdoor portion is a twister section with a few pops of sustained ejector thrown in. That being said the twister section provided g force comparable to nemesis, and black mamba. But it was a bit jerky but the positives beat the negatives. Following the twister section is a bunny hop leading to brakes.
Surprise Part 2: Attack of the Hangtime
After the brakes you enter a heart line roll. I was not expecting that and it provided some great hangtime.
Overall
This ride is great. It provides the best drop I've ever experienced, and some strong floater/sustained ejector. It also has a great intense twister section. The only problem I have with this ride is the jerkiness. Overall it's defiantly in my top 3. I wish Busch Gardens Tampa (my home park) would get a clone of this.
My rating: 10/10, and a ayyylien seal of approval!

Sneaky

Roller Poster
I'm planning to visit Hansa Park and ride Kärnan next year and I'm really looking forward to it. :D
Thank you for this review, the way you've described it is very much in line with my expectations. :)

Ayy Lmao

Mega Poster
Sneaky said:
I'm planning to visit Hansa Park and ride Kärnan next year and I'm really looking forward to it. :D
Thank you for this review, the way you've described it is very much in line with my expectations. :)
No problem. I'm sure you'll love this coaster. I also forgot to mention the drop is less intense in the front, but it feels like the track is caving in, which is a weird feeling when you're twisting.

BigBad

Mega Poster
Maybe it's just the angle from which the photo is taken, but does it pitch beyond vertical before (or while) twisting? It looks awesome.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I think that's another one of those funny heartlining things. When the track is almost vertical and starts to twist, the track sort of has to move backwards to keep the train moving vertically. It's a funny phenomenon to try to get your head around.

You can see a similar effect on TTDs spiral drop. The trains don't actually really go beyond vertical, but to allow the twisting to happen, the track has a funny shape to it.
hqdefault.jpg

The drop on Karnan certainly isn't beyond vertical (it doesn't feel or look like it in real life at all), but it's still great!

Also, I've moved this to the Trip Reports forums. :D