What's new

Jarrett's Engineering Lab [NL2]://Fuego

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
So for my first big NL2 project that I plan to release in full, I've taken it upon myself to do a former CCI RMC conversion inspired by Storm Chaser opening next season at Kentucky Kingdom. Built upon a hypothetical CCI woodie featuring an out and back layout with two legs and an underground dive finale, Gale Force takes elements from Storm Chaser, things I wanted them to do with Storm Chaser that never were, and other RMCs like Wicked Cyclone and Twisted Colossus.

3tDeHLV.png

This is exactly how I wanted Storm Chaser to start. Twisting dive (which we got) and then a top gun stall.

mivxGUR.png

It takes this turnaround at a pretty low speed but it is really snappy and aggressive. Got the idea from Twisted Colossus.

nXZXDjy.png

After that, Gale Force enters a double down before hitting a small pop of airtime and a Stengel dive interacting with both the track to the lift and the top gun stall.

cmSY6Q5.png

Alan Schilke would be proud...

6hlqTVi.png

After the Stengle dive, the ride just goes nuts. First there's a roll a la Wicked Cyclone, then a really sharp overbank/cutback/thing (if this element doesn't have a name I'm naming it an Ike Turn after the hurricane that knocked out power in my hometown for two days back in 2008), and then it snaps twice through this Lagoon roll before diving into the storm cellar.

dRlrFOU.png

Finally, it throws you out of your seat as you exit the storm cellar before entering a corked roll like Storm Chaser's as the finale.

I'm still tweaking trackwork but let me know if you'd like to see anything with the layout changed! Once I start modifying supports and learning how to export I-box rails and ties, there's no going back!

BBH

Giga Poster
Re: Jarrett's Engineering Lab [NL2]://Gale Force

I really like it. Only a couple of things I would change. On that elevated turnaround, I would put in a small hump before the drop and make the actual drop more sudden and sharp, à la Iron Rattler's quarry drop. Same thing with the brake run. Put in an airtime hop into the brakes and make them more sloped. Other than that, great work.

BBH

Giga Poster

I really like it. Only a couple of things I would change. On that elevated turnaround, I would put in a small hump before the drop and make the actual drop more sudden and sharp, à la Iron Rattler's quarry drop. Same thing with the brake run. Put in an airtime hop into the brakes and make them more sloped. Other than that, great work.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Looking quite promising Jarrett! I do agree with BBH's comments, they'd probably help make it feel a little more like an RMC (they don't tend to do gradual drops do they? :p ). Apart from that I don't have much more to add yet.

Keep up the good work. If you keep posting pictures then we'll keep trying to help!

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

BBH said:
Thanks! I did try to make it a bit more RMC-like and changed up the drop styles a bit. Didn't add the airtime hop (I like how it is at the moment) but I might.

Hixee said:
Looking quite promising Jarrett! I do agree with BBH's comments, they'd probably help make it feel a little more like an RMC (they don't tend to do gradual drops do they? :p ). Apart from that I don't have much more to add yet.

Keep up the good work. If you keep posting pictures then we'll keep trying to help!
I only have one gradual dropping element left that I might redo but other than that I've fixed that! Thanks!

-x-

Thanks for the pointers, all! I've gone back in and spread the two turnarounds out a bit, and reworked bits and pieces of the layout and I can definitely say it's starting to ride way smoother!

GUYz0Tp.png

Changes here included spreading out the transition into the Stengel dive, spreading the turnaround, redesigning the turnaround a bit, and turning that second hill into a sideways airtime hill.

wK4U4OM.png

Swapped the direction of the roll here, spreaded and redid that turnaround, and turned the Lagoon roll into a double up into a pentuple down (still a bit iffy on this portion).

7jAuSiu.png

I decided to have this just roll one way and roll back to alternate roll directions, plus I think that's a bit more nuts.

fDWWciF.png

I want to do 1-2 more updates like this one where I just fix stuff and see how it worked out, then I'll start working on making the supports realistic and actually support the ride.

I also had to change the name of this ride due to the fact that Playland's Castaway Cove isn't creative. :p

bIXOKss.jpg