What's new

is there anyone else so obsessed with coasters

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Many people here would want that Job. Fortunately, you're one of the few young enough to do something about it. You'll need physics & maths at A-Level and an engineering degree at least. Probably a masters... and nothing below top marks.

Go for it if you can. It'd certainly be cool once you get there.

P.S: If you hold the shift key when you type a letter it makes it capital.

herbinator

Mega Poster
I do but its not obsesive. Its a passion! (though if you saw my entry to wooden dream, you will know that for my skill level at no limits at the moment, it will stay a dream! :lol: )

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Inverse said:
P.S: If you hold the shift key when you type a letter it makes it capital.

Caps Lock?

Think if you listen to the questions section of the John Wardley podcast that was on recently he mentions some things about the best way to do it...

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^ I was thinking more for a one off capital. Perhaps at the start of sentences and other traditional uses for it.

Mike

Giga Poster
No, you're not.
Yes, there are.

Get top results in Maths (especially Mechanics) and Physics, following with degrees in these plus Engineering, and then onto a Masters degree in these.
Then research into how the sector operates (actually, this should really come first to look at what you really need to do the job), and apply for a job in a company, hoping you can help out with the design aspect of a ride. Or, if you're rich and entrepreneurial enough, start your own business (and then watch it fail as you get demolished by your competitors).

Good times.

Brookes

Giga Poster
I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed because I would like to do it, just because I am really interested in it. I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German at A level and hope to go on to do Mechanical Engineering at a top Uni. So yes there are others, but I wouldn't say it's an obsession for me.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
I wouldn't say I would be into designing the rides as that would be rather dull with all the sums and measurements, but I would love to be someone behind theming and the look and feel of a rides area. Being able to physically build theming, and paint up theming.

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
^I agree with you there, the calculations etc would bore me; but imagine the satisfaction of seeing a coaster you have designed, up & running.

Anyway, me, I hope to be a maintenance engineer at a Theme park one day, the mechanical/structural side of the coasters amazes me :)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
SAW_gameover said:
Anyway, me, I hope to be a maintenance engineer at a Theme park one day, the mechanical/structural side of the coasters amazes me :)

You mean getting up to the park at dawn to do block tests and everything, fill out paperwork, hand over the ride, doss about till the park closes, do more final checks and more paperwork, go home and so on...

Sounds like fun really don't it?

Rush

Giga Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
SAW_gameover said:

You mean getting up to the park at dawn to do block tests and everything, fill out paperwork, hand over the ride, doss about till the park closes, do more final checks and more paperwork, go home and so on...

Sounds like fun really don't it?

As opposed to standing around a console pushing buttons and checking restraints all day? If that's what he wants to do you don't need to be a dick about it...

Maybe he should try out at Thorpe. I'm sure he'll have plenty to do there. :lol:

alexAVFC96

Roller Poster
I always thought that there was one course for this. Roller coaster engineering. Am I wrong or right or has someone been lying to me?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I'd love to have a role like John Wardley had in the 90s. Designing the ride would be boring and painfull at times, with al the calculations and stuff, but at the same time, I would like to be involved with the design. I'd also love to be part of the experience and theming side. What Wardley did, and to a degree still does, but not so much thesedays, was create a concept and create a layout, then have the proffesional designers work on it and turn it into reality doing all the boring bits.

alexAVFC96

Roller Poster
I have already got really good ideas for roller coasters. I have thought them through so much and i'm shore they will work. Overall I have come up with 5 ideas. If you want just ask and I'll tell you the ideas but I will have the rights if it goes through in beening built.

Brookes

Giga Poster
bob_3_ said:
I went as far as going into mechanical engineering!

CRRRRRAAAAZZZYYY...

Awesome where do you do it? That's what I want to do.

alexAVFC96 said:
I always thought that there was one course for this. Roller coaster engineering. Am I wrong or right or has someone been lying to me?

As far as I am aware there is no such course, something like Mechanical Engineering or Civil Engineering is your best bet.