What's new

Is the Blade finally dead?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the oldest ride at the park? It's got to be 34 years old!!!

It's rubbish, get rid ;)

jj23w

Hyper Poster
This is what I think Sw8 is going to go there. Blade will be SBNO until the planning permission gets granted and it'll go with the new ride opening in 2017.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^That, pretty much. I haven't been on it is years. I think people forget that flat rides move on as well as coasters technology wise, it has to be out with the old and in with the new unfortunately. Swinging ships just aren't thrilling anymore.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
The timing is so odd. You'd think that they would have got rid of it over the closed season or if it had got major maintenance issues it wouldn't have been running at half term. I personally would like to see it stay as it's such a classic but I know it's time is nearly up age-wise. Just a really weird way to end it.

Someone on the towerstimes facebook suggested that it might be moving to X-sector to fill in Submissions' plot (which fits in with the new ride plans in Forbidden Valley) but the timing and age of the ride don't suggest this.

If we could rely on them actually replacing their flats then it wouldn't be so bad. Ripsaw, Enterprise and the Waveswinger are all getting old too so if they don't start replacing them shortly we'll be left with no flats! Maybe Merlin see flats as being to carnival-like but in my opinion they're great, fun time fillers in between queuing for the bigger rides.

Something like an afterburner or a frisbee would be a good Blade replacement, provided that it fits below the tree line of course!

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^It would be weird if it was moved back to X-Sector, but it's approaching it's 35th year of operation, so if anything goes in X-Sector it'd probably be a new ride. Although, I've heard that Ripsaw could move to X-Sector, but it's only TT/Wikipedia info at the moment.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Looking at this in broader terms, I'm wondering if the swinging ship ride type is dead. They're a bit old hat now. They are a staple of theme parks but do they draw the same crowds like other rides? There are some notable examples that are really well themed (Chessington, Toverland etc) but do people really care for them when there are other interesting, more thrilling rides out there?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^^I think the ride type will survive just fine.

Swinging ships were never meant to be centerpiece attractions. They're a kind of filler attraction, one that gives the crowds something to do in your park after being drawn in by the bigger, more spectacular rides. The non-inverting kind is a bit of a "stepping stone" ride for younger audiences too. They also don't use vast amounts of land or cost a fortune. It's the kind of ride you build in a low-investment season, possibly to revitalize some little corner of the park.

Still, it is a "big, mechanical ride" of the type most people don't see every day - or every year, for that matter. As enthusiasts, we're likely to skip rides like that, but other people on their biennial theme park visit might find it thrilling enough to bother to queue for. They'll see it as yet another fun, out-of-the-ordinary type of attraction. Another element in their fun day at a park. A swinging ship, much like most other types of rides, is good enough to satisfy people already in the park, but they probably won't ever be the main reason for people to go there.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
Looking at this in broader terms, I'm wondering if the swinging ship ride type is dead. They're a bit old hat now. They are a staple of theme parks but do they draw the same crowds like other rides? There are some notable examples that are really well themed (Chessington, Toverland etc) but do people really care for them when there are other interesting, more thrilling rides out there?

The thing is, when they're really good (like Drayton's), then they're still a blood good ride. The problem is, they're so rarely any good these days so they get overlooked. They're still a good "first thrill" ride for kids though, with a low height limit and the choice of **** centre or extreme end.

Unfortunately, Blade is ancient and it runs on a Thorpe Park style half arsed effort. I don't know if that is due to age (knackered) or age (was never designed to be any good).

Smithy

Strata Poster
I've been told Wicksteed got rid of theirs this season too, only had one of the two sides operating last season anyway.

spicy

Giga Poster
Bring back the Thunder Looper :)

The Blade was never any good always seem to swing pretty slow. Chessington's is actually decent though and swings much faster than The Blade ever has.

sean

Mega Poster
They aren't as popular as they once were, that is clear. However, I still feel they are a decent 'in-between' ride for youngsters to experience as a next step up before larger thrill rides. The thing with 'The Blade' is that it is shoehorned between 2 large coasters, and 2 other thrill rides which are more thrilling, so its kind of left out where it is. 'Voodoo' at Flamingoland still attracts a decent queueline because its location is more suited, the nearest thrill ride is probably Flip Flop which is round the corner and the fact its placed between Kumali and Lost River Ride probably contributes to it bring a filler ride. It also sits right next to the Bongi Warriors Show, which always attracts people to that area....once the show is over, kids dash straight to Voodoo.

I wonder if the Pirate Ship genre could be updated slightly by ride designers to give it a newer lease of life. If not, then yeah, the Pirate Ship could be a thing of the past.

peep

CF Legend
Blade was the worst swinging ship I've ever ridden so good riddance. I think they're actually fun rides, I just think blade was outdated and a poor ride experience. Especially in a park which is meant to be a quality experience.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I'd be interested to find out whether it has been slowed down or had it's highest swing height decreased over the years. I assume that as well as it potentially being age related these factors can be manually controlled?

Hope the ride type isn't a thing of the past as it's nice to have some classic rides at parks.

Edit: Someone on Towerstimes tweeted the park and they have confirmed that the ride will be leaving the park for good. So the answer to this topic is: Yes.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I don't think I ever rode the blade, was always too much else to go on! Do like Black buccaneer though - a good pirate ship creates willy lift like no other ride imo!