What's new

Is Smiler's Inversion Record Strictly Canon?

Are The Smiler's 14 inversions the true world record?

• Yes (it goes upside down 14 times doesn't it?)

Votes: 41 95.3%
  • No (it uses two lift hills and that's cheating! Colossus wins with 10)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Eejanaika got to 14 first!

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Gazza

Giga Poster
Eejanaika's 14 inversions that it physically subjects to its riders is discounted, which I've never really understood until recently, because you do actually participate in going upside down 14 times.
No you don't.
Eejanaikas 14 inversion count an outright lie anyway if you watch a POV.

Here is my count:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3_lYE0Uhno

0:31 on first drop.
0:37 first raven turn
0:43 Full full (Well, not really since you only ever end up going sideways at most)
0:50 on overbank
0:54 on half half (again, sorta borderline too)
1:04 on final twist before brakes (again, pretty borderline)

Also one on the pre lift as seen at 1:14 here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kMARGNfHfU

7 inversions at most, but in reality only 4 true moments it seems where your head is actually pointing downwards and in the "inversion zone".

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
^they added total track inversions and total 1/2 rotations of the seats. 14 doesn't make sense because most of the time, they happen simultaneously.

BenSullivan

Roller Poster
Whatever way you count it, I think Alton Towers have done well enough anyway to cram 14 inversions considering the height restrictions! Besides, any roller coaster that goes high enough to build up enough energy to complete 14 inversions without the need for another lift hill, would probably be high enough to be a hyper coaster and they are not designed to do inversions anyway!

BenSullivan

Roller Poster
Whatever way you count it, I think Alton Towers have done well enough anyway to cram 14 inversions considering the height restrictions! Besides, any roller coaster that goes high enough to build up enough energy to complete 14 inversions without the need for another lift hill, would probably be high enough to be a hyper coaster and they are not designed to do inversions anyway!

Also, more inversions usually equals more track. More track equals more expensive coaster (assuming they are the same height and made by the same manufacturer), and lift hill sections can usually be expnsive in particualr, partly the reason why many rides prefer to stick with one. So if it took a greater financial burden for the Smiler to break this record, then more inversions = higher cost and you could say that is fair and square.
:wink:

elephant58

Hyper Poster
BenSullivan said:

Not necessarily. Remember, Colossus is around 30 m tall, contains 1 lift hill and has ten inversions, so whilst a hyper could easily complete 14 inversions, it's not necessary for 61 m lift hill. :)

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Here's my view on things:

'Most inversions' implies well, plainly inverting more times than any other coaster in the world. I guess two lift hills is bending the rules to an extent, but it can by no means be disqualified. At the end of the day, it is merely a method of having enough energy to complete 14 inversions and Colossus still hold a different record for the most inversions from a single lift/launch.

However, Smiler does not always hold the record ;)
I do believe the record goes to the most inversions on an operational coaster...and since the majority of the time, it seems, Smiler is unable to complete a circuit, Colossus intermittently holds the title! :p

xcxxstxr.

Roller Poster
Right, hear me out.

9 years later, and i've noticed it. finally.

The Smiler only inverts 12 times, okay?

Take a look at the cobra roll.

both halves don't seem to fully invert, but in my opinion, I believe to my eyes has 12 inversions, though it hasn't been confirmed.

Still, because Eejanaika is a 4D coaster and the seats invert, i say The Smiler still has more because the TRACK inverts 14 (or, twelve, possibly) times.

Also, the 2 lift hills really don't matter. It's just 1 more lift hill. does it really matter?

Gazza

Giga Poster
Why would lift hills matter?

Does it invalidate any other stat?
Like is the beast not the longest woodie?