What's new

Is Living Bad For Your Health?

Mark

Strata Poster
Watching the BBC News last night something struck me.

Not so long ago, the hot topic was Smoking. It seemed as though the government and health officials were spending a lot of energy and focus in telling us all how bad smoking was and how we should stop (as if we didn't know already). They succeeded in getting in banned in public places. Hurrah :-/

Then was the issue of Food. The government and health officials were spending all that energy on telling us how bad certain foods are and putting a stop to Super Size McDonalds & King Size chocolate bars etc.

Oh and the issue of computer games. Apparently they are bad for us too and they are erroding young minds. Destroying imagination and so on.

Don't forget the issue of Binge Drinking. It started out that it was just a BINGE problem, but the news seems to be reporting more often that drink is an evil sin that will kill us all. I wonder how long it is before they start upping the price on it to persuade people to not drink - (History repeating here, they did the same with smoking)

Then last night, the BBC run a report on how the nation is becoming increasingly addicted to Smart Phones. And guess what... this addicition is bad for us and bad for society too.

Now this type of doom and gloom I expect from such media as The Daily Mail. After all, as someone said, just posting this could cause cancer. But from the BBC too? I've noticed it on the other channels too.

Is it just me or is this total negativity spreading across the media?
Is it their intention to tell us that just about everything with do in life is bad for us?
Is simply being alive far too bad for our health?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't think it's that the individual things are bad for you, it's obsession with those things.

Obviously it's hard not to be obsessed with fags if you're a smoker, that's a constant. Everything else though is simply a fad the media latches onto.

I remember similar things with other big trends of other big new technologies and social changes. They all spelt the end of the world. The car, TV, Rock and Roll, Pong (et al), Video Recorders, The Sony Walkman, computer games (violent 8-bit addictive things), shoulder pads, boys in make up, cocaine, drink (alcopops), mobile phones (the original), acid house/raves, computer games (violent FPS things), MDMA, the internet, mobile phones (this time texting), email, social networking, ciggies, drink (in general) and now smart phones.

I don't think that's an exhaustive list, but it's certainly all the things that have made headlines that I can remember or have read about. It's all about trends and popularity of new things.

When something new comes about, there's often a very rapid uptake by people who love these things. New technologies or social presentation that really suit them. The thing is, that these things really stand out in the "old world". A skater (ooops, missed skate boarding several times in that list :lol: ) wearing head phones in 1980 would have stood out in the normal world. Yet for that skater, having your music where ever you go, and having it privately available to you is just the most natural thing in the world. A 40 year old in a suit walking past would never understand the concept (and let's face it, the news is really aimed at people 30+, going on 70 ;) ). Yet in three years time, that same person would sit at home listening to The Beatles in his favourite chair on his (top of the range) Walkman while his wife put on Coronation Street. Suddenly the alien and obscure is a natural part of life.

The issue is really the way that these things rub badly with "the norm". It isn't helped by the fact that early adopters really do go over the top. Like everything though, the novelty wears off over time and you end up with a happy medium of use, but for near enough everyone.

Using the Walkman example, there are hundreds of millions of MP3 players sold, they're ubiquitous. Yet you'll see fewer people in the streets with headphones in today (despite higher sales of personal music equipment) than you would have done at the height of Walkman sales in the 80's. If you do see it, then you'll find it's a much larger cross section of the population that it was in the 80's too.

Alcohol and tobacco are slightly different (as are drug trends). They are certainly controlled though by attitudes towards them by "the mob".

Smoking has become less and less socially acceptable over a long time. It's not been a sudden change, but attitudes have been changing for ages. It started with campaigns in the 70's/80's when the true dangers of smoking became apparent. There was a push from a lot of health organisations and lobbyists to put smoking in a very negative light. I assume the number of smokers and sales of cigs has dropped dramatically from the 70's to today? Certainly the attitude changed massively. I remember every house I went into as a child was filled with smoke, usually from both parents (my own included). Cinemas with ash trays, smoking on buses - anywhere people would have to spend longer than ten minutes "contained" allowed smoking. I've certainly worked in places where people smoked at their desks.

Over the years the parents found it less acceptable to smoke in their home. They gave up, or only smoked outside. Public places moved smoking to the back, and eventually out of the doors (cinemas, buses, trains and then finally most restaurants). As the world became more "smoke free", smoking places become very obvious, as do smokers - it's a very obvious smell. So socially, it's become less and less acceptable which has led to the ease of the "public smoking ban" in the country. Twenty years ago it wouldn't have been possible, but the slow change in attitude has brought it about. While a complete ban on the sale of cigs seems implausible today, I'll bet in twenty years time it will have happened.

Drinking is the same. Attitudes have changed massively over the decades. For my parent's generation, the fathers would finish work in the evening, go and have a beer or two (or three) and then come home for dinner, TV and sleep before the next day. Drinking was a completely acceptable way of "celebrating" the end of a hard day at work.

Work meetings would be done in pubs or restaurants over pints of beer and bottles of wine. A lunch time pint on a Friday was the norm. It still happens (I talked to Jerry about this, and he said it still seems common in London), but it's certainly very different from the olden days. I remember the shock at ICI when they covered the bar taps in the "executive lounge" at the world head quarters. That was 1994 and alcohol was suddenly barred from being served on-site during the working day.

Most work contracts today will have a clause that if you're under the influence of alcohol (or drugs), then it can lead to a disciplinary - and that can be a zero tolerance too.

So, what happens then? If it's not socially acceptable to go for a few pints after work, if all working men and women have to "be responsible"? We save it all up for the weekend instead and this has led (I believe) to the binge problems we have now. A mix of making alcohol a "temptation" by both reducing accessibility to minors and also by reducing socially acceptable drinking mid-week. By trying to make everyone "squeaky clean", we're just making matters worse.

Drinking is very different to smoking in that if you have a fag in the morning, you are still capable of working all day. You're simply feeding an addiction. Drinking alters your state of mind in a different way. A fag relaxes a smoker because they have their fix, a pint relaxes a drinker because it's a substance that causes relaxation. For a lot of people, mild intoxication is a pleasant experience. For a few, strong intoxication is a pleasant experience. This will never change; people who like to drink will always like to drink. Trying to contain and reduce drinking is like squeezing jelly to contain it. All that happens is that the jelly escapes through the cracks. The amount of jelly is the same, you're just changing how it's contained - it has to go somewhere. People will always drink and any effort to stop it simply won't work, it'll just make it diverge in unwelcome ways.

So, the point. It's always happened and it'll always happen. The media will latch onto things that most people don't do or don't understand. Then after a short period, that thing will become accepted and common to every day life and the next "big worry" will appear. The annoying thing is, the reporters jumping on this are probably the same people who were the first "Walkman rebels", or "Cocaine snorting party animals", or "mobile phones are great" advocates. They've been on the other side, and are now just the same old **** spouting journalists their parent's generation were.

kimahri

CF Legend
I play video games all the time and have a really bizarre imagination. I like making up retarded stories on the train and ****. Hell look at the people who write fan fiction... Wait, actually don't. Stay away from fan fiction, its actually the cause of all the bad in the world. And what uncle phil said about addiction and stuff, that as well.

I'm getting bored of all of these people saying everything is out to kill you. Humanity has been around at least a couple of years and its been fine until now.

Now excuse me I need to clean the plastic in my protective bubble, so I don't get cancer, and then my 4th sterile shower of the day to keep clean. So many germs!!!

bazpa

Hyper Poster
Mark is right - it is being alive that kills you.
How many people who died were alive just before they died?
Now compare that with how many weren't alive - scary isn't it.
^Be careful what you use to clean that bubble Kim

nealbie

CF Legend
To OP: Probably, put it this way, anyone who's ever breathed will die. So I'm not gonna argue. :p

TTDfan52

Mega Poster
Well, according to the media, if you smoke, eat unhealthy, drink, and play video games, then living is unhealthy. If you don't, then your fine.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Somebody had the signature quote:

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% fatality rate"

Who was that?

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster
Life is bad for your health. Nothing can kill you if you're already dead...

Look at cancer. It's a disease of civilization. The more technologically advanced we become, the more we raise the risk of getting cancer. Cars produce pollution, chemicals in our food, firsthand/secondhand smoke...all of these things lead to an increased risk of cancer.

Just a few weeks ago I heard they are researching cell phones again. Remember, when they said they cause cancer, then for a while it was said that they didn't cause cancer. Well, I guess again there's evidence that they cause cancer...I'm sure sometime in the future that will change again, but do we really know for sure?

And the stress of worrying about what to do/not to do, so as to avoid health hazards, is enough to kill all of us anyway...

Sam

Giga Poster
Yup, everything is bad for you/could be bad for you/will be bad for you.

**** bollocks to it I say.... what's the point in living in a bubble, I'd sooner have a shorter life and enjoy myself than live to 100 and never actually 'live' a single day..... Pass the cocaine!

The Daily Mail can suck my balls.

lakeccrunner

Mega Poster
nealbie said:
lakeccrunner:- Proud subscriber to the Daily Mail

Nope. Just said that a lot of things that make life easier can cause cancer. It's been proven with the chemicals in our food, and pollution in our air.

Cell phones, however, I'm not sold on. I personally don't believe that they have to ability to cause cancer. Just like when 'experts' said that microwaves cause cancer, which would mean that everything that gives off any type of visible light would cause cancer a hell of a lot faster than a microwave would.

I didn't say I live in fear of all of this stuff, and I'm not one of the people who worry about that kind of thing, but the media scares people with this stuff, and it makes people paranoid/worried.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
lakeccrunner said:
Nope. Just said that a lot of things that make life easier can cause cancer. It's been proven with the chemicals in our food, and pollution in our air.

While it's true a degree, there a lot more to it. As a race, we're living much longer now so we are more likely to reach an age where we would see the development of aggressive tumours. In the past, people simply never lived long enough to become terminally ill.

On top of that though, sick people are now more likely to be able to pass on their genes. My friend's wife has a form of leukaemia that will kill her in the next ten years or so. She's been on medication to slow it for about ten years. 100 years ago, she'd have died much earlier and wouldn't have had a chance to have three kids - all of whom potentially carry the crooked gene that can cause this disease.

While environmental factors are making us ill, the same technology that causes the illness is also bringing benefits that keep us alive and healthy for longer. It's all give with one hand and take with the other. Overall though, population world-wide is booming and people are surviving longer than ever before.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
People should, within reason, be able to do what they want. The issue arises when those wants effects others. The problem occurs when people cannot see how their choices effect others, or simply do not care. I'm not saying everyone should live to please those around you, but the problem with our society is the lack of care is extraordinarily high. Alcohol is the best example, our society has a huge problem with alcohol. It's the image of alcohol and the attitude surrounding it that has made it a problem through excessive use and it's the excessive use which is causing problems for everyone.

To progress, our society needs to address it's mentality and lack of a **** given for the wellbeing of others. It starts with smiling at others, saying thank you and offering the elderly your seat on the train.

Colossus

Giga Poster
The fact is you could get hit by a bus tomorrow? So why worry about the way you live you`re life, if you want to smoke, then smoke, if you want to own a smartphone, then do, if you want to smell you`re own farts then by god treat yourself, do anything you want to do providing its lawful and as Joey said, effects you and only you. I smoke, i can totally agree with the ban, non smokers shouldn't have to inhale my smoke when eating their meals at a restaurant, or whilst working.
But again to quote Joey, people dont give a crap for the feelings and well being of others, prime example.. i was on my way home from work last Tuesday when an elderly gentleman lost collapsed in the road and hit the floor, about 6 of us ran to his aid to help the guy and call an ambulance, this created a back log of traffic on both sides of the road and the amount of people beeping their horns not giving a **** was astounding.
Also example 2, i work for a large supermarket chain, and we had another elderly gentleman collapse of a heart attack down the chilled foods isle and died instantly, so screens where put up and the isle shut off, this angered people and 1 woman even said "FFS HOW AM I GOING TO GET MY MILK NOW" I just wanted to say "**** you`re milk a man has just died, have a little respect instead of worrying about you`re poxy milk!"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Colossus The Power of 10 said:
The fact is you could get hit by a bus tomorrow? So why worry about the way you live you`re life, if you want to smoke, then smoke, if you want to own a smartphone, then do, if you want to smell you`re own farts then by god treat yourself, do anything you want to do providing its lawful and as Joey said, effects you and only you.

True to a degree... However, tomorrow you could not get hit by a bus, and the day after you could also fail to get hit by bus. In fact, statistically you're pretty unlikely to get hit by a bus.

Compare that to dying at 45-50 because of heart problems or cancer caused by smoking (which is massively more likely than getting hit by a bus) and you actually need to rethink your life philosophy... Unless you spend your days running backwards and forwards across busy bus lanes for fun.

Sorry, I don't mean to preach, I do agree to a degree. When you're young, death aged 50 is a lifetime away and certainly not something you should let spoil your youth. You just have to take care not to carry that "I could die tomorrow philosophy" on too late into life, as you're more likely to make it happen.

Personally, I still believe in a few bad things every now and then are good for the spirit. I don't mind losing a few weeks of my life here and there living life now. I'd rather look back fondly than with regret. I've enjoyed my smart phone, roller coasters, coffee, chocolates, Pringles, alcohol, steaks, chips, drugs, pineapple, and soft fluffy pillows (and everything else I'm sure is meant to take years off your life) and I'm glad that I've enjoyed all those things. I'll also be glad, aged 204 (it's my birthday next week and I'll be close to half that ;) ), that I stopped abusing those things in my early 30's... ;)