What's new

iPhone 4?!

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
So, how gadgety are we?

I queued from 7.30 this morning for one, and managed to get one of eight that the Carphone Warehouse had! There's a huge shortage, was talking to the (rather nice) girl on the counter [not literally on the counter], apparently carphone warehouse throughout the UK only got 14,000 - and most of those were in the London area.

Anyways - it's plugged in now, just waiting for the micro-simmymajigga to activate!

So to conclude this drivvel - anyone else's opinions? To me it seems a huge step up from my old 3G.. which is broken due to a toilet related incident!

ha!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't have an iPhone, but as a "device", I can see why people are flocking to them.

Never been convinced by the whole "queuing for hours to be the first in line to try and get one" mentality though - but it's human nature to desire what is in short supply. So if it floats your boat and makes you happy, fair enough :)

marc

CF Legend
I want one and the whole queuing thing does not bother me, we are willing to queue 3 hours for a coaster why not a phone :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll be getting an iPhone4 in January when my current contract expires. I have a 3GS with iOS4 so I'm happy to make do for the time being.

No shortage of them in Winchester - the O2 store has several left and there's no queue. The other mobile phone shops are empty of people so either they've sold out or nobody wants one!

marc

CF Legend
I should have just gone to the Apple store at Lakeside tbh this morning was stupid. People were going into the Vodafone store and had no problems at all.

Phones4u had theirs stolen but are getting them at 2pm and they will call me.

If I cannot get one today I am just going to wait and see if I can get one on another network next month. I was only staying with O2 due to their upgrade offer.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
jokerman said:
I'd love to get an iPhone, but they are stupidly expensive for the amount that I would use one.

Ahh, but the fun thing is... Until you have one, you've no idea just how much you would use it ;)

That's the real thing with the iPhone (and other "smart phones"). Unless you get one and use it and SEE what it can do for you day in day out - you've no idea just how much use it will be...

Unfortunately, it's a big outlay to find out ;)

Ben

CF Legend
Is it REALLY that exciting it can video call? I've had phones on 3 that can do that since about 2002!

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
The video call only works iphone 4 to iphone 4, which is kinda lame but it is free (it uses wifi). I'm more interested in the HD video recording, as it now means that I'll always have an acceptable quality camera on me - saying that, it's obviously not THAT good a video camera, it just records in a resolution that can be called HD!

The screen quality is mental. Multitasking is a bit .. "oh." but I'm sure it'll improve when apps support it properly.

nealbie

CF Legend
I agree with Ben - why have they pinned their massive USP on video calling? Or "Face Time" calling? It's been around for YEARS, it just makes Apple look even more stupid anyway. :lol:

There'll be another one with a bit more technology in a few months time and this phone will be forgotten. It happens EVERY time yet people still flock just so they can have their tiny upgrade. I can't fault Apple for their genius marketing, but below it, it sucks.

I personally would never buy one because they break so easily. Out of my 5 other flatmates this year, 4 of them had one. All 4 had cracked screens at some point during the year through very small knocks and bumps. In a word it's - LUDICROUS.

But the main question is - Will it blend? :p

marc

CF Legend
For me it has never been about the phone, the camera whatever its the apps simple.

I will never use the video calling, I never did when I was on Three, not that it ever worked when I tried to use it.

My iPhone is used for Twitter FB web browsing games, texting etc.

I have tried many phones in the past and for me the iPhone does everything I want it to do plus more.

When you own one you then find out how useful it is. I will never even think about getting anything but an iPhone.

Ben

CF Legend
I can get one on 3, and probably will in September, for only a fiver more than I'm on now. Just a n00by question, would I use more than one gig of internet a month?

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
^ No.. well .. probably not.

Orange advertise their contracts as including 'Unlimited' internet - which is subject to fair usage policy of 750mb. I think I generally use between 300-400mb per month - To be honest most of the time I'm at home I'm just using the wifi anyway!

I need to find someone who wants some FaceTime ;) hahaha.

marc

CF Legend
Neal it is what I like simple really. I cannot get the apps I want on any other ones, plus I like the iPhone I like the design and how it works.

I personally don't like HTC, Nokia etc but I don't go round slagging them off. Yet people who don't own an iPhone seem to love slagging them off.

Ben if you have wifi then you probably wont.

Ben

CF Legend
I didn't think I would. I used to have 2 on mobile broadband for my laptop and never reached that, so I doubted I would!

Well, I've registered my interest for one, so, when 3 start offering them and I'm ready, I shall be getting one!

Not cause it's 4 really though, I just want one in general and should have got one last time I got a new phone :(

But, what IS the point in coming in here and bleating on about "I'LL NEVER GET ONE I AM BETTER". Wow. You save yourself a fiver a month over people that want the phone. Don't you go spending it all at once!