What's new

Universal IoA | Jurassic World VelociCoaster | Intamin Blitz | 2021

gabe

Roller Poster
I was told that there is a chance of a 2021 opening due to the location of the site and some problems they've run into, but 2020 is still possible

Lofty

CF Legend
Just realised that the photo of the green fencing over the buildings is for the renovation of the area - apparently the roofing on all of the buildings is being replaced/refurbished.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Would they really open the new Potter ride in 2019 followed by another large coaster in 2020? Feels like this is either: a coaster for 2021, a kiddie coaster for 2020, or something else for 2020 (or 2021, s'pose).

Did someone already say this somewhere?

Ethan

Strata Poster
Would they really open the new Potter ride in 2019 followed by another large coaster in 2020? Feels like this is either: a coaster for 2021, a kiddie coaster for 2020, or something else for 2020 (or 2021, s'pose).

Did someone already say this somewhere?
I mentioned earlier that I disagreed with Gabe that a new coaster would open next year in 2020, however for different reasons. I said a 2021 opening for a possible coaster would line up with Disney's new coasters but you bring up another good point! I only assume that opening a major coaster on the same year that their competition does would be a good counter-move, but I'm not particularly business savvy so...

Kalistos

Mega Poster
In first place I think it would be legitimate to wonder if it makes sense to have a big coaster only a year after the Potter addition it looks pretty crazy. The dinosaur addition might be so big that they need to start very early to have it done for 2021/2022.

Last edited:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Yeah 2021 sounds a lot more feasible. Regular amusement parks take 2-4 months to test their rides, Universal/Disney take more than half a year as evidenced by Slinky and the like. Since we haven't even seen track on site I think 2021 is sounding a lot more likely. I just wonder what the general layout of this coaster will be, to be honest. I would prefer to see punchy ejector hills, whippy inversions and balls to the wall laterals like Taron and iSpeed, but I'm not sure if that is what Universal would exactly ask for... as they like to appeal to more people than just us thrillseekers.

Lofty

CF Legend
I don't think it's really Disney's policy to test their rides for more than half a year before opening - it's just a case of the hardware usually going in before the theming and scenic work is complete. So it just appears that they test for longer, when in reality it's because the rest of the areas aren't ready to open.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
200.gif

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
This has me ridiculously excited. If a new coaster is going in I can't wait to see what kind of work has been done when I'm there in December.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I'm sure it'll be great, but I can't personally get excited about a ride at a park that is so ridiculously expensive to visit.
Hopefully it's like Taron though :)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
With regard to project timing, 2021 is more likely considering a fence just went up, but the major Orlando resorts will likely always be in a constant state of change in some capacity. Right now, Universal has Harry Potter, this ride, Fantastic Worlds, endless summer resort hotel, and maybe another project that I'm forgetting about. Disney itself has Tron at Magic Kingdom, Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios, Ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy at Epcot, various upgrades and changes at Disney Springs, the Skyliner cable car, and eventually (not quite yet) monorail upgrades. The heavyweights are battling it out and on paper it looks like Disney has the edge - I'd argue that Universal can't build this ride (and Fantastic Worlds) quickly enough.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
With regard to project timing, 2021 is more likely considering a fence just went up, but the major Orlando resorts will likely always be in a constant state of change in some capacity. Right now, Universal has Harry Potter, this ride, Fantastic Worlds, endless summer resort hotel, and maybe another project that I'm forgetting about. Disney itself has Tron at Magic Kingdom, Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios, Ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy at Epcot, various upgrades and changes at Disney Springs, the Skyliner cable car, and eventually (not quite yet) monorail upgrades. The heavyweights are battling it out and on paper it looks like Disney has the edge - I'd argue that Universal can't build this ride (and Fantastic Worlds) quickly enough.
When I first read that I thought you had said endless resort hotels and was like seems like it!, but turns out that's it's actual name!:rolleyes:

Edward M

Strata Poster
maybe another project that I'm forgetting about

They also have Nintendo Land in the works, but I have no idea how far away the construction of that will be. Considering there's been no closures or construction at Woody Woodpecker (where it's rumored to go), I guess it may be later than 2021.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
They also have Nintendo Land in the works, but I have no idea how far away the construction of that will be. Considering there's been no closures or construction at Woody Woodpecker (where it's rumored to go), I guess it may be later than 2021.
It's being built at Universal's Fourth Gate according to rumors. Rumors also say that's opening in 2023.