What's new

Universal IoA | Jurassic World VelociCoaster | Intamin Blitz | 2021

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
This top hat is gonna be huge:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/h8v9rv
Look at the size of that pull-up! On Taiga, the pull up is roughly half the height of the overall top hat. So double the current height of the track installed, and you'll roughly get the total height of the top hat. Taiga's top hat for reference:-

47471.png

I believe Taiga's top hat is roughly 120ft tall. This makes it highly likely that Velocicoaster's top hat will be 160-170ft tall, like what the rumours say.

Last edited:

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
This top hat should have significantly more track above the tallest support than Taiga does cause of that double spine track. If the rumored launch speed is correct at around 70mph, then it should be at least 160ft tall (current top hat tower is around 110ft).

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
This means he top hat will probably be about the same height as the large tower, because that’s the case for Taiga
No it's at least 20ft taller, as you can see on the photo I linked. Also, Pantheon's top hat extends probably 30-40ft above the tallest supports. Also, like CoasterMac said, this is double spine track which means that the top hat will likely go taller as it can support itself better.

Pantheon for reference:-

OIP.png

Last edited:

Markus.Downhill

Mega Poster
This top hat should have significantly more track above the tallest support than Taiga does cause of that double spine track. If the rumored launch speed is correct at around 70mph, then it should be at least 160ft tall (current top hat tower is around 110ft).
Hopefully they can get it to 73mph to make it the world’s faster multi launch coaster, beating pantheon. They could even get it to 76 mph to make it Florida’s fastest coaster, beating Iron Gwazi

Markus.Downhill

Mega Poster
O
No it's at least 20ft taller, as you can see on the photo I linked. Also, Pantheon's top hat extends probably 50ft above the tallest supports. Also, like CoasterMac said, this is double spine track which means that the top hat will likely go taller as it can support itself better.
Oh ok, didn’t realise that the double spine track makes a huge difference. How much taller is red force than it’s tallest support tower?

TheMaverick

Roller Poster
Oh ok, didn’t realise that the double spine track makes a huge difference. How much taller is red force than it’s tallest support tower?
[/QUOTE]

0ft. Red force uses the same support style as Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka so the highest point is supported.

ATR_JUEG_REDFORCE_MOD_PRINCIPAL.jpg

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
O

Absolutely nothing as the support structure connects to the very crest of the tower, due to its large height. This is to make the structure sturdier as it can be greatly affected by wind at those heights I believe. Same with the strata coasters.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
As this is Universal, I’d say that’s quite a real possibility! It’s certainly been the case with their last few major coaster projects, although then again, they probably haven’t built an outdoor coaster of this style since HRRR in 2009.
I mean, Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure, the most expensive roller coaster ever built, is only a few hundred feet north of this location. ;)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Every coaster with a tophat and its associated support structure is like a snowflake - no two are the same...except for clones:

500px-Red_Force_%28Ferrari_Land%29_2018_01.jpg

300px-Storm_Runner_Top_Hat.jpg

1592150681765.jpeg

P4150379.JPG

aacucna

e51acf4d-ab50-4035-8599-6ab628a35992.jpeg

None of them are the same. Some of the supports are half the height of the tophat, some reach most of the way up, others support the tallest point. Some have extra intermediate beams to add strength. Some are old, obsolete designs and the company has since learned more efficient ways to support their rides. To this point, the supports we've seen on this coaster aren't really similar to anything we've seen before. And since Universal has released zero details of this ride, and nothing else has leaked, I'd recommend that we just watch the ride unfold instead of trying to guess the height down to the inch and the speed down to the decimal.

Matt N

CF Legend
I mean, Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure, the most expensive roller coaster ever built, is only a few hundred feet north of this location. ;)
That’s very true, but I was more referring to the fact that this is a coaster that relies very much on thrill over immersion; while Hagrid’s looks like a really good coaster, it’s definitely very story-driven and uses immersion & the full experience as some of its key selling points, and the same could be said to an even greater extent for Gringotts. This coaster will likely rely considerably less on storytelling and use the actual coaster hardware itself as the main selling point, and Universal Orlando has not built a coaster of that style since HRRR in 2009. This will almost definitely have fantastic theming, as it’s Universal we’re talking about here, but I don’t think it will necessarily be a vital element of the ride experience to anywhere near the same extent as it is for Hagrid’s and Gringotts.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I have a feeling there will be plenty of immersion. looks like a lot of excess structure for theming and rockwork is already beginning to go up along side the track. I bet once the ride opens, you'll hardly be able to tell there's a roller coaster in the plot of land where the first half sits.

Rupert

Mega Poster
^ with that in mind, I hope they theme the footers in the water given how much the bare concrete stands out at the moment. Saying that, Hulk’s aren’t themed so I wonder if this will be different.

I join everyone in agreeing how good this looks though, great layout. I think Taron is incredible but sometimes I wish it just had one inversion to mix things up, like a surprise zero-G or corkscrew hidden between buildings or rock work.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
To elaborate on what I was talking about, this photo in particular does a good job of highlighting what's to come:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/h9016g

Steel lattice is beginning to rise around the turn that's going to dive below the turn into the second launch. I wouldn't be surprised if the steel completely encloses this portion of ride once the track is placed. It also looks like this theming structure will be fairly extensive throughout this section of the ride since it's rising under the crest of the first turnaround. There looks to be yet another turn nestled under the first turn following the launch and I wouldn't be surprised to see this one enclosed as well.

Additionally, I wanted to point out the shape of the inversion, which is highlighted quite well in that photo. You can see the strange bend in the track as it begins to roll - that bizarre track kink should kick you out of your seat (like the strange track shaping on SFGAm Goliath's overbanked turn) and leave you truly weightless throughout the entire top half of the inversion. I love picking up on all the physics trickery that'll be present in the ride!

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
To elaborate on what I was talking about, this photo in particular does a good job of highlighting what's to come:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/h9016g

Steel lattice is beginning to rise around the turn that's going to dive below the turn into the second launch. I wouldn't be surprised if the steel completely encloses this portion of ride once the track is placed. It also looks like this theming structure will be fairly extensive throughout this section of the ride since it's rising under the crest of the first turnaround. There looks to be yet another turn nestled under the first turn following the launch and I wouldn't be surprised to see this one enclosed as well.

Additionally, I wanted to point out the shape of the inversion, which is highlighted quite well in that photo. You can see the strange bend in the track as it begins to roll - that bizarre track kink should kick you out of your seat (like the strange track shaping on SFGAm Goliath's overbanked turn) and leave you truly weightless throughout the entire top half of the inversion. I love picking up on all the physics trickery that'll be present in the ride!

Hey, that's my reddit account lmao

Ethan

Strata Poster
You can see the strange bend in the track as it begins to roll - that bizarre track kink should kick you out of your seat (like the strange track shaping on SFGAm Goliath's overbanked turn) and leave you truly weightless throughout the entire top half of the inversion. I love picking up on all the physics trickery that'll be present in the ride!
It reminds me of what Intamin did with Taiga's first inversion, very clever stuff!