What's new

Universal IoA | Jurassic World VelociCoaster | Intamin Blitz | 2021

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I feel as if I've made a similar post to this before but due to how tight and intense the second half will likely be, I believe that either the top hat will shorter than the rumoured 160-170ft tall, or that the top hat will be 160-170ft tall but will feature a beyond vertical drop with a trim on it, much like the Parc Asterix launch coaster. I just don't see a speed of 65mph+ going through the rose bowl. I'm leaning towards the second option, as the valley at the base of the top hat looks too close to the other tower, which makes me think it will have a beyond vertical drop.
Camiel himself has said the ride will not feature a trimmed drop.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Camiel himself has said the ride will not feature a trimmed drop.
Well, in that case, I don't think the top hat will be much larger than the likes of Taiga's then, which is like 130-140ft tall? I just can't see such a fast speed through that second half, although I'd love to be wrong.

Trax

Hyper Poster
It will be really interesting to see the height of the Top Hat. If it's tall enough, the second part can be insanely intense (which I'd like), or it barely makes it through the layout if it's small.
Personally, I think it will be the latter one, as the supports on that outward banked indicate that it will feature floater. But damn, I'd be so happy if I am mistaking. Still looks like the best ride in Florida to me, but it could climb higher :)

Please keep in mind that I have not been to the US yet, so I can only judge by my own expectations based on onrides and pictures.

SDaniel

Roller Poster
The lack of supports leads me to believe that riders will be relatively weightless through that element, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I think that's why they used the double spine track all around the double helix... (to save supports) Hyperion has the double spine, only in a few places of it's track ?

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
I hope the top hat is both 160+ and not trimmed. I want all the speed.

That said: do we know how long the trains will be? I’ve been assuming 5 cars but maybe they have the 3 car shorties, thus allowing for extra forces through the elements

SDaniel

Roller Poster
I hope the top hat is both 160+ and not trimmed. I want all the speed.

That said: do we know how long the trains will be? I’ve been assuming 5 cars but maybe they have the 3 car shorties, thus allowing for extra forces through the elements
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that absolutely insane outer bank!!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Haha, this thing is so insane. Its so ugly, but at the same time I love how weird it looks. That track, the weird tie spacing, the huuuge supprt gaps, everythings kinda asymmetrical and lop sided, it's a big mess, but it kinda works, there's something almost organic about it. It almost does look like someone (or a dino) has grabbed the track is completely mangled it.

Also love how the've made sure the view of the building isn't ruined.

[Also for the record...Taiga's stall is the best one out there...]
I've noticed that rides that are designed by people that have an incredibly sound understanding of physics tend to look this way. Everything you mentioned can be explained with fundamental physics. The asymmetry appearance can be linked to the usage of a true spline in design, but it yields a natural and flowing path for the ride to follow. The huge support gaps are simply taking advantage of low load areas. The weird tie spacing perfectly aligns with bending stress mitigation. It really is neat to see such a young mind have such a solid understanding of what he was taught.

Oh my; this coaster gets sweeter with every single update! There’s a chance that I could potentially get to ride this in 2021, so if I’m able to, I’m very much looking forward to it!

I wonder how it will compare to Cheetah Hunt and Icon, the two other multi-launchers I’ve ridden?
EDIT: Well, I have done Slinky Dog Dash as well, but that’s more of a family coaster.
The problem here, as Hixee has stated, is that Cheetah Hunt is not good.

New Testament stalls look far superior, and I bet they’ll ride better too in the long run. But what do we call stalls that don’t get to 180 degrees, like Outlaw’s or Untamed’s? Or even just real short ones? I still propose “Kick Stalls” for those type.

As well, that recently installed outer bank turn on this thing needs a name. Cuz its too sexy not to have one. I mean “Outer Bank/s” work but...
They're still stalls. They still perform the same general maneuver regardless of the exact degree and direction of rotation. Wicked Cyclone's stall rotates 220 degrees, but it's still a stall that leaves riders weightless while upside down.

I think that's why they used the double spine track all around the double helix... (to save supports) Hyperion has the double spine, only in a few places of it's track ?
Yes, it is a support saving method, but the supports throughout the rest of the helix aren't all that thin. They're simply taking advantage of low load areas throughout the ride to save supports, which conveniently align with the footpath below.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've noticed that rides that are designed by people that have an incredibly sound understanding of physics tend to look this way. Everything you mentioned can be explained with fundamental physics. The asymmetry appearance can be linked to the usage of a true spline in design, but it yields a natural and flowing path for the ride to follow. The huge support gaps are simply taking advantage of low load areas. The weird tie spacing perfectly aligns with bending stress mitigation. It really is neat to see such a young mind have such a solid understanding of what he was taught.
So you're telling me Ron Toomer's coat hangers were not a perfect design apparatus, and able to account for all forces?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
So you're telling me Ron Toomer's coat hangers were not a perfect design apparatus, and able to account for all forces?
Haha, thank god for Walter and Claude for paving the way for splines on the steel front and Mike Boodley for relentlessly pushing his bosses to use shapes that weren't straight lines and arcs on wooden coasters.

Cstrcrzy1

Roller Poster
I predict universal is waiting for IAAPA for the big reveal. It wouldn't surprise me if RCDB updates after that.

Interestingly, the ride still doesn’t seem to have been added to RCDB. Is Duane waiting for park confirmation just to be sure, or does he still think it could be something else? Or is he just busy?

As for the coaster itself, it’s looking phenomenal! I’m hoping I can get on it next year, so if I can, I’ll be intrigued to see how it compares to Icon and Cheetah Hunt, the other multi-launch coasters of this style I’ve done!

emoo

Hyper Poster
Now now, Cheetah Hunt is fun enough but yes surpassed by many coasters, including any individual photo angle of this rising from the ground.

Engineering sure has come a long way from eye balling a bent bit of wire from the pioneers of the time.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
RCDB logic, list coasters at Epic Universe but not the one thats literally half built.
Yeah, I feel like he's gotten to the point where he's so stubbornly sticking to his 'rule' that it's now just a bit silly.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Yeah, I feel like he's gotten to the point where he's so stubbornly sticking to his 'rule' that it's now just a bit silly.
Actually I think it's more likely he was asked not to put it up by Universal and in his role it pays to keep the big companies on side. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened either.