What's new

IoA | Unknown | Jurassic Park Intamin Blitz | 2021

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
random question: how do they manage to pull through the launch sections? do they put some power on so that they aren't acting as brakes?
You can just pull it slowly. The magnetic braking forces are very small when the trains are moving slowly - I don't know the specifics of the trains and magnets well enough to crunch the numbers properly, but I'd strongly wager it takes more 'effort' to pull the train up through the steep track sections than through the launch track.

Or @Dar's suggestion, of course, but I think that's just making work for yourself. :p

PetskuC

You can just pull it slowly. The magnetic braking forces are very small when the trains are moving slowly - I don't know the specifics of the trains and magnets well enough to crunch the numbers properly, but I'd strongly wager it takes more 'effort' to pull the train up through the steep track sections than through the launch track.

Or @Dar's suggestion, of course, but I think that's just making work for yourself. :p
Yes, you are correct.

This is because Faraday's law of induction. TL;DR the faster something conductive (the fins on the train) move trough a magnetic field (general magnets, launches, brakes) the faster it will be decelerated. This is also why the brakes on launch coasters are extremely aggressive when you first enter them, but less so when the train has slowed down.

But when you do a pull trough of the rest of the track you have gravity that is in the way. As you all know gravity affects us all the time, hence why the launches are much easier to pull trough.