What's new

IOA | Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure | Intamin LSM Launch (Dragon Challenge replacement)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The time has come: Universal has confirmed Dragon Challenge will close September 5 to make room for a new attraction: https://blog.universalorlando.com/w...de/?__source=sm.awr.ao.FBPAGE&linkId=40128016

NEW GENERATION OF THRILL RIDE COMING TO THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER – HOGSMEADE
I’m super excited to tell you that a new generation of thrill ride is coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade at Universal’s Islands of Adventure in 2019! I can’t tell you everything about the new ride just yet, but here’s what I can share:

• This all-new thrill ride will take you deeper into J.K. Rowling’s Wizarding World, where you will encounter some of your favorite characters and creatures. It’ll be unlike anything we’ve ever done before and it will be fun for the entire family.
  • The new attraction will be one of the most highly-themed coaster experiences we’ve created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action-packed adventure…and a few surprises along the way.
  • Our award-winning Universal Creative team is once again collaborating with Warner Bros. and the production design team from the Harry Potter films to bring this new coaster experience to life.
  • This ride is going to redefine the category and transport you to thrilling places, drawing you into even more exciting adventures within the wizarding world. It’s going to be the perfect addition to Hogsmeade.
We’re permanently closing Dragon Challenge on September 5 to make way for this all-new ride. The last day of operation will be Monday, September 4.

Stay tuned to the blog or sign up for email updates – more details will be released in the future.

In the meantime, make sure you come out and take your last ride on Dragon Challenge before it closes.

shawnoc

Mega Poster
Sounds interesting, I'm likening the words "thrill ride" included in that statement.
Dragons challenge did seem kinda ugly member of the family pushed behind Hogsmead. The entrance wasn't amazingly clear kinda blending in to the background.

It will be a shame to see them go, front row while dueling was great fun, also the original queue was far better than the potter makeover.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
VR Dragon Challenge 2.0 - still not in synchronization! :p

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Well that's just made me rather excited! Do we have a rough opening date for the new ride?

Edit; Should have actually read the article! 2019

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I love Dragon Challenge so it will be sad to see them go...but change is good, it's what will make America Great Again after all.

I read in the article earlier it is going to be one of the most intensely themed projects at Universal to date...which excited me to think it could be similar to Forbidden Journey...but scares me to think it could be like Escape from Gringotts. Definitely one to keep an eye on over the coming months!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
RIP. One Two of the most iconic coasters out there, both of which definitely inspired me in my early days of enthusiasm. Thankfully, I rode them back in 2006, when they were still Fire and Ice (and duelling, I think), and whilst on their own they weren't outstanding coasters, they definitely had a lot of magic working together.

Onwards and upwards!

I hope Universal throw some tribute or nod to the two great B&Ms in the new ride.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Also sad to see it go, it was one iconic coaster that I recognized even before I was a goon. Secretly hoping for a Flying Dinosaur-ish replacement with better theming ^^

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Noooooo, just a week after booking a trip to Orlando next February, they announce that they're removing 2 creds and not replacing them till 2019 :(

I knew this was probably coming but was hoping to ride them before they went. I'm sure the replacement will be amazingly themed but I suspect it won't be as thrilling since HP is more of a kiddie/family thing. Hopefully it'll be a broomstick-riding themed multi launcher :)

I hope they sell the B&Ms to somewhere though. I understand they're not the best but I'm sure some parks would be happy with them.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I don't really see the point in converting it to VR, as Forbidden Journey already covers the flying VR simulation.

If they do though, I suggest the name Dragon Challenge 2: Virtual Duel-aloo

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Can't see these being sold anywhere, they are citing "end of life" so will probably scrap the track/supports just like with Hulk.
Sad that they are going, excited for a better themed attraction that fits the area.

Maybe we should do a new topic, basic creds you haven't ridden... @gavin and @witchfinder would be kings of that topic.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Geek fact: when Dragon Challenge close and are demolished they will officially be the first B&Ms to be scrapped. I am not counting Hulk because it was a retrack.

I am truly sad to see both these coasters go. Even though they were nothing spectacular on their own, they worked amazingly well together. Wasn't there a rumour that JK Rowling was not really keen on them and wanted to see them go anyway?

I really hope Universal develop the plot of land in a smart way because the footprint of Dragon Challenge is HUGE. I wouldn't actually be surprised to see them use it for not just one addition, but maybe a couple of additions (2019 and something else in the long run).

Gazza

Giga Poster
20370867_10154613792671105_1593375183_n.png

Universal RN.