What's new

IOA | Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure | Intamin LSM Launch (Dragon Challenge replacement)

davidm

Strata Poster
(Almost) all gone.
Wonder why that one bit is left tho. :confused:

DNCZvkvWkAAwB-e.jpg

Matt N

CF Legend
Can any members on here identify what sort of supports these are to potentially find a manufacturer?

Lofty

CF Legend
Supports aren't the easiest to generate a potential supplier from. Nearly all rumours are now leading to an Intamin LSM Coaster - which also coincides with Intamin's most recent buying list and rough project timelines of Universal etc.

Matt N

CF Legend
Supports aren't the easiest to generate a potential supplier from. Nearly all rumours are now leading to an Intamin LSM Coaster - which also coincides with Intamin's most recent buying list and rough project timelines of Universal etc.
Ooh! So a Taron-esque ride, then? Exciting! I thought it was going to be a motorbike coaster from Intamin, like Mick Doohan's Motocoaster at Dreamworld. That's what Screamscape has been saying for the last 6 months or so, anyway.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Anyone else have very high demands for this ride to meet their expectations? Still annoyed about dragon challenge.

Taron-esque or a hyper or consider me unimpressed.

Lofty

CF Legend
Midway Mayhem have posted a closer look at the supports. They don't look like they're Intamin for me due to the track connectors, although very early doors to say. If it IS Intamin, the reason I don't think this is a tire propelled coaster is because it would be the first from Intamin to have the cylindrical supports as the others all have rectangular ones. Speculative of course.

Reactions: JSM

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I'd imagine its going to be a lot more family-friendly than that, given the area its going into. If it's not a multi-launch coaster that whizzes you through the Forbidden Forest on a broomstick or in a Ford Anglia I'll be amazed, and a little disappointed.
Yep, preparing to be disappointed already.

Last edited:

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I'll be honest, I thought Escape From Gringotts was brilliant and that's barely even a coaster. If they manage a similar level of immersion and make it a reasonably thrilling coaster as well then I'd be more than happy. I don't really expect extreme thrill coasters from Universal.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I'll be honest, I thought Escape From Gringotts was brilliant and that's barely even a coaster. If they manage a similar level of immersion and make it a reasonably thrilling coaster as well then I'd be more than happy. I don't really expect extreme thrill coasters from Universal.
They already have two potter screen-based rides so I'd be disappointed with a third but then I'm not keen on screen based rides anyway. I think realistically that's what it will be in some way. I did the Hulk VR experience opinion-collecting thing so I expect it will incorporate some kind of VR experience or something.

I think this ride/area will divide enthusiast opinion between those who really value theming and immersive experiences Vs those who prioritise big coasters and thrills. Will be an interesting project to watch, albeit with a skeptical mind.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
To be honest, this is one of the projects out there I'm the most excited for. When Universal spends money on their flagship parks, they don't pinch pennies. This is their biggest moneymaker IP too, and the site is huge. Whatever it is they are building, they are putting serious amounts of money and thought into it, and they have the experience to put both those things to great use. I know it's not a guarantee for quality, but it's a solid indicator. I'm also a very excitable person in general, so I'm prepared to be very impressed by this.

As for whether it will be an exciting coaster ...my faith is a little more shaky. Universal tore down a thrill coaster to make room for this (two, even). I don't know whether that means they've got a thrill-coaster-shaped hole in their lineup they are eager to fill again, or if they've decided that they don't need a thrill coaster on that site. I mean, Forbidden Journey next door is hardly a coaster like we're used to, but it is still really impressive and guests love it. Universal has filled two parks with screen-based rides, yet each new one keeps hauling guests in through their gates. Being completely indoors, the screen rides are also weather-independent, which is a huge plus in Florida's harsh climate. Yet they can't provide the speed and G-forces a coaster can, so it's not like they can replace coasters completely. There's also the fact that Forbidden Journey is a major non-coaster tracked ride in the area, so they'd logically want to do something different with this other ride they're building. One ride for visuals and one ride for speed, maybe?

I'd love to see a Taron or Maverick sibling built with Universal's money and attention to detail. It is clearly the best-case scenario. There are, however, many convincing arguments in favour of something non-conventional like Forbidden Journey or Escape from Gringotts, as that formula has clearly proven to work. But I think the outcome would be something massively fun no matter what it is, given the amount of resources they're spending on it.