• Inversions

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
In the 'Your (stupid) pre-coaster enthusiast thoughts on Theme Parks topic', DeanGaryCox suggested that a cheeky inversion would make Shambhala better. I disagree; the ride is all about airtime, not going side down.

So if you had to pick a coaster with loads of airtime and no inversions, or a coaster with inversions and next-to-none airtime, what would you choose?

Do you prefer airtime or inversions? No middle ground answers, please.

I'd pick airtime over inversions.

DeanGaryCox

Roller Poster
a cheeky inversion on Rita etc. would most likely make it a better coaster... but airtime (besides the launch) is what makes it such a solid coaster, and hence why Shambhala is my favourite... but having Nemesis as my second favourite which relies on inversions and force makes it really tricky; but if i had to pick one...

AIRTIME.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Airtime, easily.

The odd inversion can be fantastic, Helix has some lovely ones, and some of my fave elements are Inversions, but my sig says it all, all of the top 5 have brilliant airtime moments and that's why I rate them so highly.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Argh I genuinely can't decide.

My top three coasters, which I struggle to split, are Shambhala, Khan and Nemesis. Shambhala is the only proper airtime machine I've been on so it's difficult to gauge how much of the ride I enjoy is because of the airtime and how much is the speed, location, height etc...

Think it depends on the restraint too, and the airtime. The airtime on Shambhala was insane and with the restraints was amazing; the restraints on Smiler meant the airtime wasn't as enjoyable as some of the inversions were. Besides from that bloody cobra roll.

I'm leaning towards airtime but I'd have to ride something other than Shambhala to be certain.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Airtime, the feeling is just so wonderful. Especially on B&M hypers with the yummie trains and clamshells.

I do love inversions though, I love both. That's why Helix is my favourite coaster. It does both very well.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Inversions are the coolest part of a ride, until they are not.

They can simply be overdone on some multi-looping roller coasters. While aesthetically fantastic (who doesn't love the sight of a huge, arcing loop?), the actually inversion rider experience can be stagnant when put back-to-back-to-back.

There simply feels to be a certain diminishing return on how many inversions there are to a roller coaster.

Airtime however does not seem to have the same degradation factor as an inversion. You can put three airtime hills in a row, and it will simply be a better ride experience. It could very well be that negative g-force (experienced during airtime) is better than positive g-force (experienced during inversions), and simply translates to a more exciting ride. Airtime does trump in the rankings as well - only 3 of the top 10 Mitch Hawker steel coasters have inversions.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Airtime. I'll enjoy a coaster with several moments of airtime much more than one with inversions.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Airtime, without a doubt. Inversions are cool too but they can be a bit hit-and-miss. Airtime is always good!

EthC

Mega Poster
For me its airtime, no contest, I feel like more airtime makes a ride more special to me, whereas more inversions would probably just add nothing, maybe give me a bit of a headache. So yeah Airtime all the way!

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
If you'd have asked me this a year ago I'd have said 'inversions, duhhh, airtime isn't exciting', but back then I had 68 creds...and all in one country, the basic places like Merlin and BPB.

Even with 156 I'm not 'well travelled', but I do feel I know more now and airtime just wins. In my opinion airtime isn't as, ugh I can't put my finger on the word, thrilling? But airtime is thrilling, that's the thing, there is something that airtime lacks that inversions give you, but airtime just makes me feel happy, joyous, light. Shambhala is my favourite coaster, it's followed very very close behind by Montu, but an inversion wouldn't ruin Shambhala but it might detract from the whole idea of Shambhala, it is an airtime machine and it does that impeccably. White Lightning is another example of excellent airtime <3

I want to ride Helix which is, as far as I'm aware, a mix of the both, then I can really see what is best, but in my opinion it's airtime, one hundred times, airtime.

Mike

Giga Poster
Airtime definitely.

Inversions can be fun, and I occasionally enjoy a bit of hang time (although Abismo was taking it a bit too far!), but I'd still much rather have airtime, with my ass barely ever in the seat (Phoenix, Shambhala...etc...).

Airtime. I can take or leave inversions, and sometimes they're even uncomfortable. There hasn't really been an inversion that has genuinely made me go "wow," whereas strong airtime can leave you awestruck sometimes!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I know you said no middle ground, but I do prefer Zero G stalls.

But if I HAD to choose, I'd say airtime.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

andrus

Giga Poster
If you're going to make a generalization of all loopers, and all hyper-style coasters, then of course I would pick airtime!

But if you would ask me which my favourite element is; I would answere the heart-line roll on Blue Fire (despite having been on Skyrush, Bizarro and the likes). And looking at my top coasters I got Black Mamba up there just slightly behind Skyrush, and above Bizarro..

But if you're generalizing, then yes; airtime it is.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
c7NJRa2.jpg

But if I were to choose one, airtime it is.
Inversions are fun but airtime is a different experience apart from the majority of coasters with inversions.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I'm going for Inversions.

I've only been on one airtime machine and it was brilliant. But I love inversions! Inversions on inverts especially!
I love inversions. I like airtime.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
This is tough it depends. I have to go with airtime though. No feeling like it. Inversions are great but a lot of my top coasters are due to airtime.