What's new

Intamin Impulse question

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I've just recently noticed something about the trains on Intamin impulse coasters, and I can't figure it out. I've noticed that on the right side of the train, up near the brake fins on the chassis, there is a black piece of what looks like plastic that runs from wheel bogey to wheel bogey. Looking at the left side, it isn't there.

Here's a photo of it:

p4029.jpg

And here's the left side of the train:

p21886.jpg

You can see that it isn't on the left side.

I don't think Intamin would put an unneeded item on a train, but I can't figure out what it's used for, and why only the right side? I may just be missing something, but it doesn't look like there are any sensors that interact with it, and it doesn't go inbetween the LIMs. Does anybody know what it's for?

Ben

CF Legend
The thing that sort of looks like a hair comb? It has a function, but I can't remember what it is. Something to do with lasers or light passing through parts and not through others. Something.

But, I'm not really sure what you mean. Could you circle it in the picture?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's another good resolution photo of the right side of an Impulse train.

wickedtwister07.jpg_920.jpg

I was always under the impression that it helped in some form of the braking of the train, but never realized it was only on the ride side of the train.

The race is on for our coaster technology junkies. My money is on Steve. :razz:

Ben

CF Legend
I've remembered - it tells the computer where the train is and the speed it's going at. Something (I want to say lasers) reads them.

If anyone has that old TV show where they talk about what is now VooDoo (... or whatever it is called...) when it was at G. Lake, they talk about it on there. Runs his finger along it. Positioning via lasers is what I remember.

I wish I had that show so I could be more useful...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd imagine it'll be some sort of speed control.

A light gate setup will monitor how quickly the beam is broken by the teeth and then calculate the trains speed. It'll then adjust the acceleration accordingly.

It could also help with the monitoring of the position of the train.

That's my best guess.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That makes sense, being that every launch is at a difference speed. I would've never guessed that. Thanks.

Harvey

Hyper Poster
Sensors mounted to the track use the stalks to calculate the speed of the train as it passes, by counting them and the frequency at which they pass, it can then adjust the speed of the train, up or down, accordingly.