What's new

Injury on X-2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain

bdfesq

Roller Poster
I am new to the forum and both an attorney and rollercoaster enthusiast.

I represent a client that was seriously injured on the X-2 rollercoaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I wondered if anyone else here ever suffered any head injuries from this 4D ride.

nemesis_guy

Roller Poster
bdfesq said:
I am new to the forum and both an attorney and rollercoaster enthusiast.

I represent a client that was seriously injured on the X-2 rollercoaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I wondered if anyone else here ever suffered any head injuries from this 4D ride.

Favorite Coaster: Maximum Force

What is this "Maximum Force" coaster you like, I've never heard of it?

This is a fun forum for discussion of coasters, not a forum to try and get some new clients if that's what you're really here for?

Anyway, welcome to the forum

Smithy

Strata Poster
I have not, but I have had an accident at work that wasn't my fault. Am I entitled to compensation?

bdfesq

Roller Poster
Thanks, I am not looking for clients. I have client that was seriously injured on this coaster and I was just wondering if anyone was ever injured on this specific coaster or experienced any problems with it.

As for my favorite coaster is should state Millennium Force in Cedar Point.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm pretty sure that the use of a random post saying "Yeah. I hurt my head too" on an online forum as 'evidentiary backup' won't stand up in a court of law.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
^No, but if (s)he fishes enough sites and gets someone to submit backing evidence via interviews, medical docs, etc... it might.

As to the original question, in 2009 I rode X2 30 times over the course of 3 months, then again in 2012 5 times over the course of 2 days and I did suffer a head injury.

My mind was BLOWN at how amazing that ride is.

Lofty

CF Legend
My point being, if so,embody has had an injury that resulted in medical evidence, that will have already been used for a submission of a claim or what's the point? I don't quite understand it, my guess is that the 'client' of this user hasn't any substantial evidence to backup their claim. In which case, tough tits.

This is coming from somebody that was hospitalised from concussion from a ride and I don't give a flying ****.

marc

CF Legend
I suffered a broken heart from this coaster. It was shut as it was being painted, can I claim?

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Just out of interest, what was this serious head injury and how has the client suffered because of it? If it's concussion, then fair play, but I don't think even an arrow could be sufficiently rough to cause that.

bdfesq

Roller Poster
Interesting comments. The client suffered a serious brain injury. The ride caused him to strike the back of his head on the headrest and he suffered bleeding on the brain which required surgery to cut a hole in his head to release the pressure. I think that qualifies as a serious injury.

There is plenty of evidence and science to support the claim, and the only reason I posted this was just wanted to know if this was an isolated incident or anyone else had hit there head on this ride.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
If someone has hit their head in a similar manner, then they'd have taken action against the park already, and presumably you have the ability to search for similar court action? Any less serious head banging, present on all rides, is not relevant to the accident you're dealing with. **** happens, occasionally freak accidents happen that are no ones fault.

Was the defendant able to brace against the ride forces adequately? Was the impact caused by an unusual motion the ride made? It's one or the other. Occasionally, attractions brake unexpectedly as a precaution when something goes wrong... For example, the an estop because say, some idiot decided to climb a fence into the ride area. Such a halt can cause guests injury, usually minor. Taking action against that is like taking a car manufacturer to court over an airbag injury.

Enthusiasts are probably less likely to be injured in such a manner due to over exposure, creating a better ability to brace themselves with fast reactions. You're looking in the wrong place, and it seems kind of unprofessional.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Have any of you ever thought "when I post this, will I make the site and enthusiast look like a bunch of arrogant, unwelcoming arses"?

It may be worth trying in future. Somebody just wants a simple answer. If it had been a park or manufacturer asking for opinions, you'd have fapped yourselves handless trying to respond quickly and getting yourselves noticed positively :roll:

I think Joey has nailed it though. We tend to find out about accidents like this when they hit the news, we're well behind the curve on finding these things out. It tends not to happen to us - as Joey says - because we tend to be ready to brace and we tend to project a ride in advance. So we're generally more prepared.

I don't think any of us have a background in legal affairs, so we can't comment on what would make a case or not.

If anyone had ever suffered a serious, long term injury on a coaster, we'd know about it - but I've never seen it. I know my sister tried to sue Flamingoland for whiplash after riding Kumali, but it got nowhere - one person and isolated incident just didn't carry any weight of proof.

So, yeah, I don't think you'll find anybody here who has had any serious trauma caused by riding a coaster - but the same can't be said for people joining the forums and asking questions ;)

I promise, if you stick around, you may find some decent, well conceived discussions here from a few members. Joey was a good start at least :)

marc

CF Legend
Well tbh my doctor did say my shoulder could have been caused by holding my arms up on rides.

Someone at work broke a rib on Saw. They did not report it at the time so never told the park.

If I remember right I'm sure Wills dad hurt himself on the Big Dipper in Blackpool.

I remember hitting my head on Nemesis as I totally forgot about the last inversion, and on Scorpion I hit my head on the seat in front as I did not know I needed to brace for the brakes.

People can get hurt on rides, tbh it's really easy to get hurt.

Tbh I thought the first post was just spam, probably most people thought the same. Until the last post that explained what happen I did not think it was real.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
bdfesq said:
Interesting comments. The client suffered a serious brain injury. The ride caused him to strike the back of his head on the headrest and he suffered bleeding on the brain which required surgery to cut a hole in his head to release the pressure. I think that qualifies as a serious injury.

There is plenty of evidence and science to support the claim, and the only reason I posted this was just wanted to know if this was an isolated incident or anyone else had hit there head on this ride.

I really don't think you're supposed to release that sort of confidential information without your clients consent, if at all.. So much for trusting your solicitors.

If the case is against the ride itself, the ride 99.9% did nothing out of the ordinary. In the case of a shutdown causing the ride to e-stop itself, the train will come to a rapid stop on a brake-run. Shutdowns usually occur when the ride predicts a potential problem, and rarely because there is an actual problem. So if you're going on the side that the ride is unsafe, then I wish you the best of luck because you'll probably find nothing.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Erol, you're not a lawyer, so I'm not sure giving advice to one is a good idea :lol:

I think as long as no names are mentioned, you can comment publicly on a case as long as it won't have an adverse affect on the case (which this won't).

As far as the ride goes. It may have operated correctly, within the correct parameters and possibly for the safety of the guests. However, it injured a guest. US law is very different from ours and there is a very real claim system in place.

There's a good reason too. If this client has suffered head injury and required surgery, then they have had to pay for that. I suspect the medical bills are in the tens/hundreds of thousands and it'll either be claimed through a medical insurance policy, or out of their own pocket.

Either way, somebody will want to be paid back for the money spent on fixing the injury. That will come from whomever is responsible for causing the injury - the park.

Of course, there has to be proof that the injury occurred on the ride. If it is an isolated incident and the client maybe walked off the ride fine and suffered later - there's no absolutely clear link between the ride and the injury. If other people have also been similarly injured, then it lays down a more solid case.

Of course, it could be that there is a clear link to the ride and the client was treated in the station. In that case, it opens up the park for a suit of claims for anybody injured on the ride.

Just remember, in the US, injury costs a lot of money and somebody needs to cover that cost...

bdfesq

Roller Poster
furie, a very well thought out and insightful post, you are correct on most of your assumptions.

Another interesting fact. In California rollercoaster operators are considered common carriers. A Common carriers is someone that transports others for a fee, and held to the highest standard under the law. They are required to use the utmost care to make sure their passengers are not injured. Normally the standard is negligence, but not for a common carrier.

Intricks

Strata Poster
I can honestly see how the ride could cause this kind of injury as those trains dont spin smoothly, they rather do this odd, slight jerk. I dont recall it being worse than someone doing some bs shifting in a car, but the lack of padding for the head to rest upon means if someone isnt careful they could get a good thwack.

Beyond that though, im still a bit skeptical about the whole thing. Something like this should have hit the news by now, especially moreso since the Six Flags over Texas incident and this being another park within the chain. The news in the US sensationalizes near everything, and if a parent freaking out at an E-Stop within the station of a minetrain at Six Flags over Georgia made news, a concussion from another ride at a Six Flag park should be going international at this point. Im not saying this has or hasnt happened, but knowing how the news outlets are, the lack of news is off setting to me.

marc

CF Legend
When did this happen, quick search on google and you can pull up accidents that have happened and been reported. Most are just for bruising I cannot find anything for this incident.

Not saying it did not happen just wondered why something so serious is not on the lists.