What's new

Indoor Vekomas

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Right, I've been told by various people that RCDB lies and that Space Mountain at Hong Kong Disney could not possibly be made by Vekoma! Before I make a twat of myself, could someone confirm or not please?

http://www.rcdb.com/1975.htm

I only ask because I loved it so much. It was fast paced, very pretty with great theming, and the music was EPIC!

In fact, to my newbie eyes at least, it looked exactly similar in design, from the angle of the lift hill, the triangular-shaped enclosure, and similar track design as X:/wtf at Thope and Vogel Rok at Efteling.

As I've been bandying about in other places today, Vogel Rok is also amazing with brilliant theming, music, and is overall a nice, nippy little ride.

If I'm right, and both are Vekoma indoor coasters, then are there any others that I should go check out (to save me having to trawl RCDB for hours)?

Also, just how can X:/wtf be so crap in comparison?

Much mysterious thanks in advance :--D

Ben

CF Legend
I can't confirm, but, I'd be VERY surprised if it wasn't Vekoma... Who else do Disney go to for those sort of things anymore...? That and it looks and smells like a Vekoma...

Also, Vogel Rok is amazing, yes.

As for enclosed Vekomas...

http://www.rcdb.com/r.htm?nm=na&co=6836&ca=114&ot=2

Temple of the Night Hawk at Phantasialand is FAB as well, it's just so excessively long and has loads of fab green lasers <3 I think that's all I've done other than the Rock n Rollercoasters, which I'm not counting here REALLY.

X is crap I'm going to bet because it's backwards, so it's limited for elements, and it has a load of brake runs... I don't KNOW if the other "Enigma" (which is its specific type) has a load of brake runs or if that's something Thorpe wanted? But, it's ride type is basically meant to be more "disorientating" than actually thrilling, and it just doesn't work. At all. Vogel Rok is so much fabber.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Ohh so totally didn't realise you could search like that!

THANK YOU BEN xxxxxx

Actually I've heard that Temple of the Nighthawk was good, and I'm doing Phantasialand along with the Netherlands live this year. Very much looking forward to that one now then. In fact the whole park looks bloody awesome (what with Winjas and Black Mamba) :)

I wasn't really trying to get into the whole X debate again - it's been done to death, but I guess you're right - it's a totally different experience going backwards.

Has anyone maybe got a comparison of a ride they've done frontwards and backwards (maybe Indiana Jones at Disneyland Paris or something)?

Ben

CF Legend
Temple of the Nighthawk is probably the worst "big" thing at Phantasialand... AND IT'S STILL F*&KING AWESOME. Says it all about how AMAZING Phantasialand is. Probably the best park in Europe apart from Europa... Which it might actually be better than tbh...

I think the thing with X isn't SO much that it goes backwards and so sucks (the backwards part of Boomerangs is more fun than forwards IMO), but, it does limit WHAT they can do. But, I think it's the brake runs more than anything. And it's quite short. And it just... sucks.

marc

CF Legend
^The best ride in the park is Micheal Jackson, it is the best mine train I have ever been on :).

Temple of the Nighthawk was rubbish, smooth but just done nothing :(

I have done the ride in Paris both ways, I would never ever ride that thing again going backwards it was just that bad. I ended up with back pains and neck pains from it.

I am not sure if anyone has managed it on CF but at Magic Mountain they sometimes run there wooden coaster with the trains going backwards.

California Space Mountain is not made by Vekoma but the one in Hong Kong is, which is why I think people are getting confussed. I think California has different trains from when it 1st opened and Vekoma provide the trains for it, I think Hong Kong has the same layout as well?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
That's what several people have claimed, that the track is most likely from another manufacturer, with Vekoma trains added later - but I was sure I was right. Hong Kong is supposedly a very weird Disney after all - not at all up to notch with the other specimens!

Glad I stuck to my guns now :D

As for your experience on IJ, I'm sorry you had such a bad time. It sounds awful :(

A

Anonymous

I can't find any pics of it, but I'm pretty sure that I have seen some of the trains on Space Mountain HK that have the Vekoma logo on the seat backs. Also since the other big company that Disney have used for their other big rides in the past have gone bust (Arrow), then I don't think that they would have gone for someone else to do it than Vekoma which they have worked with a lot recently...

The other Enigma I have been on a part from X:\wtf is the one that is located in Korea, I can't really remember if the ride have as many MCBR's as X:\wtf, since the train flew around the circuit and didn't stop at every last one of them...
I have to say this and I would be pretty sure that everyone else that have ridden it would agree that it's a lot better.

Ben

CF Legend
^It's not really "enclosed", that's why. It's indoors. Enclosed the coaster is all by itself, in the dark usually. That just happens to be inside, which isn't the same.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^It's awful anyway.

loefet said:
The other Enigma I have been on a part from X:\wtf is the one that is located in Korea, I can't really remember if the ride have as many MCBR's as X:\wtf, since the train flew around the circuit and didn't stop at every last one of them...
I have to say this and I would be pretty sure that everyone else that have ridden it would agree that it's a lot better.

It is a lot better yeah. I can't remember it stopping (or even slowing down) until it hit the final break run. A bit of theming inside the tent would have been nice though.

Lofty

CF Legend
The only Vekoma indoor coaster I've rode is X. It's not TERRIBLE. I thought it was pretty fun and funky when it had no lights, then when I rode with Lights on. It was DIRE. So boring! So yeah, pointless post. But who cares.

andrus

Giga Poster
Ben said:
Temple of the Night Hawk at Phantasialand is FAB as well, it's just so excessively long and has loads of fab green lasers <3
So that's what it's supposed to do? Shoot green lazers at you! :p I thought it was extremely boring when I rode (no green lazers), long and smooth yes, but did absolutely nothing..

marc said:
Temple of the Nighthawk was rubbish, smooth but just done nothing :(
Couldn't agree more!

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
The Undead Creature said:
It is indeed a Vekoma coaster, the wheels and their assemblies gave it away.

I was gonna say exactly that! You get used to the look of them after engineering on them.

Oh and side note - Space Mountain DLP = <3